It’s no secret that San Diego is the “Craft Beer Capital” of California. With 150 exciting and innovative craft breweries, it can be hard to know where to go. Don’t worry; we decided to make it easier for you by compiling this list of the best breweries in San Diego, CA.
From giant brewers to local microbreweries, San Diego got it all. Whether you’re looking for a great place to drink craft beer with friends or simply want something unique on tap, we’re here to help you find a brewery that fits your tastes. Because we love craft beer, and finding new places is our top priority!
Top 20 Best Breweries in San Diego, CA
1. Ballast Point Little Italy
Ballast Point is a perfect combination of Crafts and Arts! The home of the award-winning Sculpin IPA. It is a craft brewery and a restaurant located in the heart of Little Italy, San Diego. A pioneering brewery with six taprooms and 25 years of brewing experience producing award-winning and innovative brews.
Ballast Point is not only famous for its beer and foods but for its labels that are works of art as well. Sketched, painted, and labeled every beer with its resident painter, Paul Elder. This location offers fresh beach air and a casual dining atmosphere, both inside and outdoor seating, a porch, and a private cabana.
- Crowd Favorite: Sculpin IPA, 7% ABV. A light, crisp, hoppy flavor with apricot, mango, peach, and lemon aromas.
- Highly Recommended: Grapefruit Sculpin, 7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Trivia Night every Tuesday. Seats are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. No reservation allowed.
- Fun Fact: Ballast Point Special- the first-ever beer brew and sold in 1996.
Hours: Open Tues 3pm – 9pm, Wed & Thur 12pm – 9pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 10pm, Sun 11am – 8pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 2215 India St, San Diego, CA 92101
Contact: (619) 255-7213 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Pure Project – Miramar
Miramar is the headquarter of Pure Project’s five taprooms in San Diego and houses its brewing operations. They have 16 beers on taps. They are also open for brewery tours.
Pure Project-Miramar also has a famous “moss wall,” which is worthy of your Instagram pictures. It offers laid-back vibes in an intimate setting with lots of plants, soft lighting, and a general Pure Project ambiance- one of San Diego’s famous breweries.
- Crowd Favorite: Lost Monarch Stout, 11.5% ABV. A perfect blend of Costa Rican coffee and organic Oregon hazelnuts.
- Highly Recommended: Murkshake with Strawberry, 10.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Miramar always has fresh new beers on draft, a day ahead of the other locations!
Hours: Open Sun – Thur 11am – 11pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 12am.
Address: 9030 Kenamar Dr. #308 San Diego, CA 92121
Contact: (858) 252-6143 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Mission Brewery
Located at the historic Wonder Bread building in East Village, Mission Brewery is one the biggest brewery in San Diego, with a 25,000 square feet wide tasting room made of bricks and bow tussle. It has wide and spacious indoor seating, accommodating up to 300 people, and a kid-friendly and dog-friendly brewery.
With over 50 national and international awards and recognition and Brewing for over 14 years, Mission Brewery is considered one of the top breweries in San Diego, California.
- Crowd Favorite: Shipwrecked IPA, 9.25% ABV. An imperial IPA with intense double character.
- Highly Recommended: Dark Seas Stout, 9.8% ABV.
- What’s New: The brewery tour is now back!
- Hop-py Note: Mission brewery’s new entrance is around the corner of 14th street. Make sure to rent a scooter, uber, or bring your bike for easy access.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 3pm – 9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 6pm
Address: 131 14th St, San Diego, CA 92101
Contact: (619) 544-0555 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Eppig Brewing – Waterfront Biergarten
“Brew with a View.” Nested at the heart of America’s Cup Harbor, Eppig Brewing Waterfront Biergarten is an award-winning craft brewery in San Diego County. It has a great ocean view and spacious indoor and outdoor seating. They are also open for tour buses as well as brewery tours. Definitely a great place to relax while sipping your pint of crafted beer.
Eppig Brewing aims to revive its 150 years of craft brewing heritage after the family’s first brewery opened in Brooklyn, New York. Eppig’s brewery is located in Vista and has 30-barrel Brewing on-site.
- Crowd Favorite: 10:45 to Denver IPA, 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Pink Lemonade Sour, 6% ABV.
- What’s New: Red, Ride, and Brew with S.D. Bike Coalition!
- Hop-py Note: Eppig’s name comes from Stephanie Eppig, the co-founder of Eppig Brewing which has 150 years of history in craft brewing.
Hours: Open Daily 12-9pm
Address: 2817 Dickens St, San Diego, CA 92106
Contact: (619) 756-6825 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Pure Project – Balboa Park
This upscale taproom, also known as “Pure Project Balboa Park,” is conveniently located in the bustling Bankers Hill neighborhood, adjacent to the world-famous Balboa Park and near San Diego Zoo.
Pure Project-Balboa offers 20 rotating beers on tap. They also feature the 1000-sq. Ft. outdoor patio with cozy furniture, west-facing views, and a cool breeze coming up off San Diego Bay. A family-friendly as well as a dog-friendly brewery. Pure Project has all the ingredients you’re looking for in a brewery: a happy face, nice cold beer, Torrey Pine, vegetation at each turn, and an undeniable Pure Project atmosphere.
- Crowd Favorite: Creme De La Peche, 5.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Murklands Pale Ale, 5.5% ABV.
- What’s New: Biergarten is now available in Pure Project Balboa Park!
Hours: Open Tues 3pm – 9pm, Wed & Thur 12pm – 9pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 10pm, Sun 11am – 9pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 2865 Fifth Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
Contact: (619) 323-2000 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Belching Beaver Brewery North Park
As their motto says, “Have fun making beer,” Belching Beaver Brewery North Park always comes to mind for a fun beer experience. Located at 30th Street, San Diego, this brewery loves trying new brewing styles and having a great time doing it. They don’t settle for just good and aim to produce top-quality brews.
Aside from the grand march on sale, Belching Beaver is also famous for its affordable beer prices.
- Crowd Favorite: Must Be the Honey BLONDE, 5.5% ABV. Must Be the Honey is brewed with a delicate blend of top-quality honey, which gives it a sweet and floral aroma.
- Highly Recommended: Peanut Butter Milk Stout, 5.3% ABV.
- What’s New: Now has a door-to-door delivery.
Hours: Open Mon 3pm – 9pm, Tues – Thur 3pm – 10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 12am, Sun 12pm – 9pm.
Address: 4223 30th St, San Diego, CA 92104
Contact: (619) 282-1062 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
7. Pure Project – North Park
Pure Project North Park has over 7,000 sq. feet of tasting room with ample indoor and outdoor space and is one of San Diego’s breweries where people hang out, chill, and enjoy a pint of classic brews. The open concept design features the traditional Pure Project aesthetic with backyard Biergarten vibes.
They have 20 beers on tap and plenty of great places to enjoy them, including picnic tables and Adirondack rockers, love seats, and backyard patio swings. You can always take your beer with growlers, cans, and bottles.
- Crowd Favorite: Shake the Ground IPA, 10.2% ABV. A triple Hazy full-bodied IPA with mango, orange, and pineapple aromas.
- Highly Recommended: Tahoma IPA, 8%ABV.
- What’s New: Rotating food trucks every day.
Hours: Open Tues 3pm – 9pm, Wed & Thur 12pm – 9pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 10pm, Sun 11am – 9pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 2867 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92104
Contact: (858)-727-3450 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
8. Second Chance Beer Company
Brewing with a mission, the Second Chance Beer Company prioritized pet rescue and used their company to create awareness. Located at North Park, San Diego County.
Aside from their good deeds of pet rescue, Second Chance is proud to offer a wide selection of craft beers (IPA, Ale, Stout), seltzers, and beer cocktails. They have a spacious tasting room ideal for a large group gathering to have fun while celebrating good deeds to the community. They also have private space for events and great merchandise.
- Crowd Favorite: Glorious Belgian Blonde, 8.4% ABV. A potent and perfect blend of pear and apricot.
- Highly Recommended: Add Plants West Coast American IPA, 6.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Second Chance launched a “Pint for Pups” movement where they pledge to donate 1% of their revenue to San Diego’s local animal rescue organizations.
Hours: Open Mon 2pm – 7pm, Tues – Thur 2pm – 9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 7pm.
Address: 15378 Avenue of Science #222, San Diego, CA 92128
Contact: (858)-705-6250 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
9. Ataraxia Aleworks
If you’re looking for a relaxing place to enjoy a cold quality craft brew surrounded by knowledgeable and friendly beer enthusiasts, this place is a solid choice!
Ataraxia Aleworks is San Diego’s new craft microbrewery recommended by beer enthusiasts. They specialize in a wide selection of craft beers from IPAs, Pale Ales, English styles, Belgians, Lagers, and more! The brewery focuses on the mineral content of the initiating regions via reverse osmosis (R.O.), so you can expect clean and fresh beer accompanied by a friendly team in a tranquil environment.
- Crowd Favorite: Cowbell American IPA, 6.9% ABV. Refreshing IPA with a decent hop bite.
- Highly Recommended: Pale McPaleFace, 5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Monthly Truck Meet, Beer, and Yoga
- Fun Fact: The brewery’s name Ataraxia (a.ter.ak.see.uh) came from Ancient Greek philosophy, which means Tranquility. It describes a rational state of emotional calmness characterized by continuing freedom from stress and trouble.
Hours: Open Tues – Thur 12pm – 11pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 11pm, Sun 12pm – 10pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 7292 Opportunity Rd ste c, San Diego, CA 92111
Contact: (858)256-9462 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
10. Ketch Brewing
Watching a beautiful ocean view while drinking your favorite beer sounds fantastic, isn’t it? Then check out the Ketch Brewing tasting room in N. Harbor. They offer fresh foods for dining in and a wide selection of their crafted beers.
Ketch Brewing is an award-winning craft brewery near Ocean beach San Diego. The main goal is to craft authentic, classic, laid-back brews for a guaranteed enjoyable beer experience. They also offer delightful food selections. The place is kid-friendly, the staffs are very approachable, and the indoor area is not noisy. So come by and enjoy a pint of beer.
- Crowd Favorite: Celestial Navigation, 7% ABV. A hoppy IPA with the right amount of bitterness.
- Highly Recommended: Hazy Condition IPA, 6.4% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Brew Pub and Tasting Deck at Downtown San Diego
- Fun Fact: Ketch Brewery is a product of famous restaurants, Brigantine and Miguel’s, a family-owned restaurant that has been part of San Diego’s history for generations.
Hours: Open Mon – Fri 11am – 7:30pm, Sat 11:30am – 5pm, Sun Closed.
Address: 7889 Ostrow Street San Diego, CA 92101
Contact: (858)-427-0961 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
11. Stone Brewing World Bistro and Gardens – Liberty Stations
Just like the other brewery and taproom locations (Escondido, Richmond, Oceanside) features a large restaurant with indoor and outdoor dining and bars, a bocce ball court, an outdoor cinema space, and a garden.
Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens offers an industrial vibe. It also has 40 taps of exceptional craft beers on tap, including Stone year-round and special releases, beers from other small breweries, and a vast bottle list of craft and specialty beers from around the world.
- Crowd Favorite: Stone Delicious IPA, 7.7% ABV. A blend of lemon and El Dorado hops produces a perfect lemon candy-like flavor.
- Highly Recommended: San Diego Pale Ale, 6% ABV.
- What’s New: Stone brewing also open its new taproom in San Diego International Airport Terminal 3.
- Hop-py Note: Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens- Liberty Stations is located at the old U.S. Navy Mess Hall.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 11am – 9pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 10pm, Sun 11am – 9pm.
Address: 2816 Historic Decatur Rd UNIT 116, San Diego, CA 92106
Contact: (619)-269-2100 | Facebook | Instagram | Websit
12. Hopnonymous Brewing Company
Do you wonder why some of San Diego’s restaurants have house-brand beer tastes the same? It is because of this anonymous brewing company- Hopnonymous!
Hopnonymous Brewing Company began as a specialty beer distributor and contract brewing company to brew food-friendly beer styles at restaurants and local breweries. It first found its niche as an “under the radar” presence in the San Diego beer industry. But when the opportunity came up, it decided to seize the spotlight and launch its brand in the public eye.
- Crowd Favorite: Slammin San Diego IPA, 7.2% ABV. A hybrid IPA that combines West Coast and hazy beer styles. The hops used in the brewing process used are Strata and Enigma hops.
- Highly Recommended: Plan of Attack, IPA, 7.3% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: “Bringin’ Blonde Back” is the new label of “Blonde Pale” (the brand at restaurants) under the now-famous Hopnonymous Brewing Company.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 12pm – 8pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 6pm.
Address: 7705 Convoy Ct, San Diego, CA 92111
Contact: (619)-847-4628 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
13. Kilowatt Brewing
Mind-bending lighting, games, arts, and décor is the trademark of Kilowatt Brewing! With their custom-built giant versions of games and innovative and interactive works of art by local artists, Kilowatt brewing is San Diego’s fun brewery.
Kilowatt Brewing has three taprooms in San Diego neighborhoods, Kearny Mesa, Ocean Beach, and Downtown Oceanside. They offer over 20 beers on tap and a large selection of bottles, ranging from multiple IPAs and traditional styles to barrel-aged, fruit, and sour beers, all handcrafted in small batches.
- Crowd Favorite: Chocolate Macadamia Stout, 6.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Hazezoose Hazy IPA, 6.85% ABV.
- What’s New: The Space Pad, a new cocktail lounge with out-of-this-world lighting and decors.
- Hop-py Note: Tour buses are welcome provided prior notice 2 hours before the schedule.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 3pm – 10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 12am, Sun 1pm – 8pm.
Address: 7576 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA 92111
Contact: (858) 715-3998 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
14. Common Theory Public House
Founded by friends of diverse ethnic backgrounds with a common goal- to build a place with fantastic food and drinks for everyone. The Common Theory Public House is an intertwined clash of the culture of (Korean, Chinese, Mexican, and American heritage) which truly shines through in the ambiance, food, and drinks, showing one similar tale of many of how much it means to be a Californian.
Common Theory Public House offers a wide selection of over 30 craft beers on tap at any given time, sourced from the most popular breweries in San Diego County, California, and the United States. It has a beautiful open deck outdoor seating that offers live music, delicious foods, and a relaxing ambiance.
- Crowd Favorite: Plenty for All Pilsner, 4.8 % ABV. By Fall Brewing Company.
- Highly Recommended: Lagerithm Dark Lager, 4.8% ABV. By Bottle Logic Brewing.
- What’s New: Open for indoor and outdoor dining from Tuesday to Sunday.
Hours: Open Tues – Thur 11am – 11pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 2am, Sun 11am – 11pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 4805 Convoy St, San Diego, CA 92111
Contact: (619) 780-6689 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
15. Half Door Brewing
Not your usual brewpub! Influence by Ireland brewing tradition, this microbrewery offers a countryside vibe on their brew. Located in downtown San Diego and housed in an old Victorian resident building, the Half door is an excellent addition to San Diego’s craft brewery scene. They offer private event places in their outside patio, lounging bar, and tasting room.
Alongside their specialty brews on taps, Half door Brewing also offers foods from brunch, lunch, dinner, charcuterie boards, and even cater for your special occasions! Cocktails are also available.
- Crowd Favorite: Gimmick Ale Stout, 4.2% ABV. A creamy combination of white chocolate and peanut butter stout!
- Highly Recommended: Hoban House IPA, 6.7% ABV.
- Fact Fun: Half-door Brewing derives from Irelands’ Half door village houses which symbolize the brewery’s recognition of its deep ancestral roots.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 11am – 1am, Fri 11am – 1am, Sat 10am – 2am, Sun 10am – 1am.
Address: 903 Island Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
Contact: (619) 232-9845 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
16. Coronado Brewing Company
“A great beer, good food, and a laid-back atmosphere”- this tagline is what Coronado Brewing Company promised to its loyal beer fans. Enjoy a pint of beer with their best foods in relaxing and cozy tasting rooms. Their award-winning beers are not limited to San Diego; they also sell in different states.
Their three locations in San Diego offer award-winning brews, delightful menus, spacious outside and inside seating, and exciting merch. If you pass by these three locations, don’t forget to drop by and enjoy a pint of their fantastic beer.
- Crowd Favorite: Orange Avenue Wit, 5.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Hop Stache IPA, 7% ABV.
- What’s New: BeerX Craft beer and Music Festival
- Hop-py Note: Coronado Brewing Offers Home Deliver in California and New York.
Hours: Open Daily 11am – 9pm.
Address: 1205 Knoxville St, San Diego, CA 92110
Contact: (619)-275-2215 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
17. Viewpoint Brewing
Looking for a place with perfect, Instagram-worthy views? Check out Viewpoint Brewing. Located in the coastal town of Del Mar, San Diego, Viewpoint Brewing brings a new perspective on culinary and craft Brewing to San Diego’s beer scene. It has a 7,000-square feet brewery and restaurant offering a full-service menu and 20 beers on taps, and extensive house brewing styles.
The expansive indoor and outdoor space provides pristine views of the San Dieguito Lagoon from every angle, making it the ideal gathering landscape. It’s a family and dog-friendly brewery that offers small batches of dog treats!
- Crowd Favorite: Cool Kids IPA, 6.9% ABV. A delightful and refreshing blend of tropical fruits.
- Highly Recommended: Das Chefeweizen Wheat beer, 5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Viewpoint Brewing now accepts group reservations.
Hours: Open Tues – Fri 12pm – 9pm, Sat & Sun 10am – 9pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 2201 San Dieguito Dr Suite D, Del Mar, CA 92014
Contact: (858)-356-9346 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
18. AleSmith Brewing Company
“Large space, great beers, and awesome foods.” This statement is how beer fans describe AleSmith Brewing Company. With a 100,000 square feet facility, ALeSmith Brewing Company is the largest tasting room in San Diego County. It is also recognized as one of the world’s best craft breweries for its numerous national and international awards. Also, rank six on World’s Top Ten Best Brewery List (BeerRater.com).
Like any other brewery, AleSmith Brewing Company started from a humble beginning founded at a small unit in Miramar, San Diego, in 1995. Now it has 30 critical employees with various departments, expanding its reach worldwide.
- Crowd Favorite: Speedway Stout, 12% ABV. An impressive imperial stout with double coffee for a more exciting flavor.
- Highly Recommended: San Diego Pale Ale .394, 6% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Watch out for AleSMith Brewing and Revision Brewing Collaborative Brew- The Split Acess! Indeed another great brew to satisfy your tastebuds.
- Fun Fact: AleSmith Brewing Company is the proud brewer of the epic “Barrel-Aged Speedway Stout,” which caused an uproar in the craft beer scene in its first barrel release in 2003. This 12 percent ABV beer is consistently recognized as one of the world’s best beers.
Hours: Open Mon – Tues 2pm – 10pm, Wed & Thur: 12pm – 10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 11pm, Sun 11am – 8pm.
Address: 9990 AleSmith Ct, San Diego, CA 92126
Contact: (858)-549-9888 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
19. Attitude Brewing
A brewery with a seven-and-a-half-barrel system has three locations in San Diego, CA. Attitude Brewing’s goal is to provide you with a second home to serve their great craft brews! A house full of Awesome Attitudes exemplifies what we stand for – a culture that spreads positive vibes to our neighbors, customers, and visitors.
They offer 22 beers on tap and a full-service restaurant and aim to give its patron phenomenal and quality beers. They have spacious indoor seating, a bar, a kitchen, and a striking gallery of artworks.
- Crowd Favorite: OG Haze Pineapple Express IPA, 8.2% ABV. An outburst flavor from citrus, mango, and pineapple fruits and packed with the sticky goodness of Citra.
- Highly Recommended: Legendary 24 IPA, 8.6% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Caters for private events and brewery tours.
- Fun Fact: Attitude Brewing is represented by its mascot “NACHO,” inspired by the American film wrestling “Nacho Libre.” The exciting part is that no one knew except the owner (of course), the man behind the mascot!
Hours: Open Daily 11am – 10pm.
Address: 1985 National Ave Ste 1115 – Box 6, San Diego, CA 92113
Contact: (619) 795-4269 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
20. Societe Brewing Company
An independently owned local microbrewery founded in 2012, Societe Brewing Company’s goal is to make both approachable and world-class beer. It also aims to reach out and unite the community on craft brewing.
It has a large beer garden suitable for events. It has a relaxing and fun open-air atmosphere that gives its patron an enjoyable beer experience. Aside from great beer selections, it is also known for Chachos Tacos, which houses delicious Mexican foods.
- Crowd Favorite: The Coachman IPA, 4.9% ABV. Societe’s core brew won several awards and recognition.
- Highly Recommended: Tenth Ann’y Triple IPA, 10% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Check out their website for brewery tour schedules.
Hours: Open Mon 11am – 8pm, Tues – Sat 11am – 9pm, Sun 11am – 8pm.
Address: 8262 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA 92111
Contact: (858) 598–5409 | Facebook | Instagram | Website