Even though Louisville and the state of Kentucky are famous for their bourbon, the locals are eager to let the rest of the world know about their incredible beer scene. The city established one of the most thriving craft beer industries in the United States by using its locally grown grain, and its brewers have been experimenting with flavors ever since.
Today, there are a ton of amazing breweries you can find in Louisville, each with its unique perspective on beer and dedication to quality. So, if you find yourself having a beer tour in the city, be sure to check out these ten outstanding breweries!
1. Against The Grain Brewery
Fed up with the same old boring brewing practices, brewers Jerry, Sam, Adam, and Andrew decided to build their own brewery to brew the way they wanted. They started by writing a business plan on a piece of paper then, after extensive planning and preparations, they began putting the plans into action. And in 2011, the four finally opened their brewery, Against The Grain.
Today, Against The Grain is one of the top breweries in Louisville, serving its beer across 27 states and eight countries. It has five taprooms across the city, all featuring its tasty experimental beers and flagships that have won numerous accolades. So when you visit the town for a beer tour, check out its taprooms in Butchertown or Downtown Louisville.
- Crowd Favorite: Citra Ass Down. A citrusy and tropical Imperial IPA with 8.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: The Brown Note
- Hop-py note: Covered outdoor seating. Kid-friendly. Offers takeout.
- Fun Fact: Against The Grain is the first brewer-owned and operated brewery in Louisville.
Hours: Open Mon 4pm – 10pm, Thue – Sat 11am – 10pm, Sun 11am – 9pm.
Address: 401 E Main St, Louisville, KY 40202
Contact: (502) 515-0174 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Gravely Brewing
Gravely Brewing is one of the city’s most interesting and one-of-a-kind breweries. The brewery is renowned for producing exquisite beers that cover a wide range of available beer styles while highlighting its love for music, as Gravely Brewing is the first music brewery in the world. And the people behind the brewery are also passionate about making it possible for you to savor tasty beer, great music, and delicious food in one wonderful place.
You can enjoy a lively environment hyped with music and filled with vintage instruments, music records, and players. Additionally, you can dine on the brewery’s rooftop patio. There, you can watch a breathtaking view of the city skyline and one of the most spectacular sunsets while savoring your delicious drink.
- Crowd Favorite: Debaser. A hoppy, smooth, and fruity, hazy New England IPA with 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Power Chord
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Street and bike parking. Offers takeout.
- Fun Fact: Gravely created a Spotify playlist called “To all the beers I loved before,” where all the songs that inspired its brews are listed.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 3pm – 10pm, Fri 3pm – 11pm, Sat 12pm – 11pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm.
Address: 514 Baxter Ave, Louisville, KY 40204
Contact: (502) 822-3202 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Monnik Beer Co.
Located in the Schnitzelburg neighborhood, Monnik Beer is a brewery serving its beers with food items made with locally and sustainably raised ingredients. Its taproom features a rotating tap list of 20 beers brewed in-house. Additionally, the brewery offers a wide selection of gourmet dishes, and vegetarian food options served fresh from the kitchen.
If you need an establishment to host your event, you can book Monnik Beer’s taproom. Its upstairs area is spacious enough to accommodate 70 seated guests and 150 standing. The event area has a full-size bar and a stage, making it perfect for small or big events.
- Crowd Favorite: His Dark Materials. An aromatic, chocolatey dark stout with 5.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Eagle Skull
- Hop-py note: Indoor and outdoor seating. Street parking. Free Wi-Fi.
- Fun Fact: Monnik is a Dutch word for “monk.”
Hours: Open Sun – Thur 11am – 10pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 12am.
Address: 1036 E Burnett Ave, Louisville, KY 40217
Contact: (502) 742-6564 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Hi-Wire Brewing
You should check out Hi-Wire Brewing if you fancy lagers over standard beers. This award-winning brewery has eight active taprooms in different locations, with its main facility in Asheville. Hi-Wire’s signature lagers have won numerous awards and accolades since 2014 in national beer competitions like the Great American Beer Festival and NC Brewers Cup.
Hi-Wire’s taproom in Louisville opened in 2021, and it is the first out-of-state brewery to open in Kentucky. The taproom features 20 rotating taps of its flagship ales, as well as seasonal and specialty brews you can enjoy, and you can always order some food from nearby restaurants to eat while savoring its delicious brews.
- Crowd Favorite: Bed of Nails. A dry and well-balanced Brown Ale with 6.1% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Hi-Wire Lager
- Hop-py note: Family and dog-friendly. Indoor and outdoor seating. Free parking.
- Fun Fact: Hi-Wire has an online store you can find on its site that sells apparel, gift cards, glassware, and more. And, you can also get it delivered directly to your house.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 3pm – 10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 12am, Sun 12pm – 9pm.
Address: 642 Baxter Ave, Louisville, KY 40204
Contact: (502) 717-4500 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Goodwood Brewing
Goodwood is one of the local’s favorite breweries because not only do they use locally sourced ingredients, but they also honor the traditions of their community. Compared to other breweries that use modern brewing techniques, all of Goodwood’s beer is made in old bourbon barrels or casks.
Goodwood is a restored warehouse with a welcoming taproom, a game room, and friendly bartenders ready to serve you a cold one. Its taproom features a variety of traditional beers and experimental barrel-aged beers. In addition to being one of Louisville’s breweries, this taproom also serves you tacos and a standard pub menu.
- Crowd Favorite: Bourbon Barrel Stout. A dark and silky American stout with 8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Walnut Brown Ale
- Hop-py note: Private rental spaces. Live music. Kid-friendly.
- Fun Fact: In 2015, Goodwood bought the Bluegrass Brewing Company and renamed it Goodwood.
Hours: Open Thur 3pm – 10pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 11pm, Sun 1pm – 9pm, Mon – Wed Closed.
Address: 636 E Main St, Louisville, KY 40202
Contact: (502) 584-2739 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Mile Wide Beer Company
Just like the Ohio River it was named after, Mile Wide Brewing is committed to progressing and breaking new ground in the craft beer industry. They continuously develop and take great care in handcrafting beers with unique flavors.
Mile Wide’s taproom is housed in a repurposed biscuit factory in downtown Louisville and features a large outside patio where patrons can relax while sampling the wide range of unique beers on tap. Additionally, you can enjoy a Neopolitan-style pizza cooked in a brick oven and several tasty food items to partner with your beer.
- Crowd Favorite: Idlewild. A light, dry, and crisp Session IPA with 5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: McPoyle
- Hop-py note: Board and arcade games. Private rental spaces. Dog-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Mile Wide has a club where you can pay $50 for a one-year membership. It comes with numerous exclusive benefits such as discounts, free collectibles, and early access to beer releases.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 4pm – 10pm, Fri 2pm – 11pm, Sat 12pm – 11pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm.
Address: 636 Barret Ave, Louisville, KY 40204
Contact: (502) 409-8139 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
7. Atrium Brewing
Discovering something new is either scary or fun, but with Atrium Brewing, it is surely the latter! Nestled in the Shelby Park neighborhood, Atrium is a new brewery that seeks to bring people together through its superb flagship and experimental brews. Its brewers always come up with unique ideas and make sure that every time you visit them, you get to see new brews on the menu.
Furthermore, Atrium’s taproom is pouring beers seven times a week and has a partner food truck, Daryk’s, that offers its world-famous tenders and other savory bites that go well with any beer you drink.
- Crowd Favorite: Steep Hill In Las Vegas. A bright, piney, and hoppy American pale ale with 6.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Blueberry Lemon Cake Boy
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Indoor seating. Offers takeout. Trivia nights.
Hours: Open Daily 11am – 11pm.
Address: 1154 Logan St, Louisville, KY 40204
Contact: (502)690-3069 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
8. Ten20 Craft Brewery
Ten20, located in the historic Butchertown neighborhood, is a nano-brewery that serves fresh and tasty craft beers. This brewery makes sure to deliver exquisite beers and give you a great drinking session while giving back to the community.
Ten20’s taproom features a selection of its flagship beers, a lovely beer garden, and three private rental areas accommodating up to 300 people that you can book for public and private events such as weddings, parties, and meetings. Lastly, in addition to its great beers, you can also munch on a delicious, in-house pizza served hot and fresh from the oven.
- Crowd Favorite: Storyteller IPA. An aromatic and hoppy hazy IPA with 7.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Woodland Gardens IPA
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly patio. Indoor and outdoor seating. Kid-friendly.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 3pm – 10pm, Fri 3pm – 11pm, Sat 12pm – 11pm, Sun 12pm – 10pm.
Address: 1020 E Washington St, Louisville, KY 40206
Contact: (502)290-6820 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
9. Chimera Brewing
Chimera Brewing is a brewery that not only produces quality beer but also cares about the community and its people. Chimera brews beer free of common allergens like gluten and honey for the vegans of Louisville. And if you’re looking to pair your beer with some food, its taproom also offers a tasty pub menu and vegan options.
Moreover, Chimera Brewing is a community-driven brewery that donates a portion of its sales to local non-profit organizations such as animal welfare groups, anti-racism organizations, and more. If you want to enjoy a great beer while doing something for a cause, Chimera is the right brewery for you!
- Crowd Favorite: It Takes A Village. A hoppy, juicy, and smooth New England IPA with 6.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: St. Hyena
- Hop-py note: Offers takeout. Occasional events. Indoor and outdoor seating.
- Fun Fact: Chimera is a member of the Kentucky Guild of Brewers, a non-profit organization that acts as the advocate for the Kentucky brewing industry
Hours: Open Tues – Sat 11am – 9pm, Sun 11am – 7pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 1025 Barret Ave, Louisville, KY 40204
Contact: (502) 742-1714 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
10. Great Flood Brewing Company
Founded in 2014, Great Flood Brewing is a brewer-owned brewery serving fresh craft beers to the locals of Louisville. It has two active locations; its main building is in Middletown with an in-house kitchen, and the other one is in Highlands, which solely sells beers but customers are free to bring in food.
Its taproom in Middletown features 20 rotating taps of its signature and experimental craft beers, ensuring you taste new and fresh brews every day. Aside from fantastic beers, Great Flood offers cocktails, wines, and spirits for non-beer lovers and food items such as burgers, pizzas, and other tasty bites to pair with your beverage.
- Crowd Favorite: Toasted Brown Ale. A refreshing, tasty, and smooth American brown ale with 5.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Find-A-Way IPA
- Hop-py note: Offers takeout. Kid and dog-friendly. Happy hour specials.
Hours: Open Mon & Tues 5pm – 9pm, Wed 11am – 9pm, Thur & Fri 11:30am – 11pm, Sat 11am – 11pm, Sun 11am – 9pm.
Address: 12717 Shelbyville Rd, Louisville, KY 40243
Contact: (502) 208-0882 | Facebook | Instagram | Website