Noted as the most visited city in Texas, San Antonio has a lot of thrills to offer its guests, from renowned attractions, world-class Tex-Mex food, and award-winning breweries serving the best craft beers.
Thanks to the many San Antonio visitors, many beer lovers can vouch for the rich, uncommon, and distinctive brews of the city. If you want to taste and rate it yourself, we’ve narrowed down 11 of the best brewpubs in San Antonio, which you should never miss!
1. Künstler Brewing
Owned by Vera and Brent Deckard, Künstler mixes Bavarian tradition and Texas pride for its multicultural handcrafted beers. You can taste these unique styles on Künstler’s 16 beers on tap, which are available for a pint on-site or to go. If you’re not into beer and you just want to experience the welcoming vibe of the taproom, a wide selection of ciders is available for you to choose from.
Whether you want some sweet dessert or a chewy sandwich, Künstler’s combined German and Texan in-house restaurant is up to offer you savory meals. There are even vegetarian options and kiddie foods, so there’s surely something for everyone.
- Crowd Favorite: Hawaiian Fog. A citrusy and tropical fruit-flavored New England IPA with 7.1% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Cashmere Hefeweizen
- Hop-py Note: Live music. Family and dog-friendly. Curbside pickup. Offers tours.
- Fun Fact: The word Künstler means artist in German.
Hours: Open Sun 11am-9pm, Mon 2pm-10pm, Tue-Tue 12pm–10pm, Fri 12pm-11pm, Sat 11am-11pm
2. Alamo Beer Company
Running as the largest brewhouse in San Antonio, Alamo started pouring beers in 2016. It focuses on impacting the community by helping hundreds of charity events such as Pints for Prostates and the 9/11 Memorial Climb. Sustainability is one of Alamo’s priorities as well, and it even established a CO2 Recapture System and installed solar panels in the brewery.
Because of Alamo’s philanthropic deeds, its exquisite set of lagers, pale ales, and pilsners will taste more flavorful and one-of-a-kind, paired with delicious pub grubs like Schnitzel-on-stick and cheddar biscuits. Cornhole boards and many table games will also make your stay here exciting.
- Crowd Favorite: Alamo Golden Ale. A sweet but subtle American blonde with 4.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Amber Lager
- Hop-py Note: Karaoke and Bingo nights. Live music. Dog-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Alamo donates its spent grain to Grain4Grain, a local food tech startup.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 3pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 11am-8pm, Mon & Tue Closed
Address: 202 Lamar St, San Antonio, TX 78202
3. Weathered Souls Brewing Co.
Famous for its solid collection of crisp IPAs and boozy stouts, Weathered Souls is equally passionate about advocating racism as much as crafting beer. It is included in the 1,207 breweries supporting Black is Beautiful advocacy, and particularly chose 100 Black Men of San Antonio, Texas as its beneficiary.
Weathered Souls features a cozy and modern-looking taproom with wide outside seating options, where you can taste not just pints of beers but also slushies and flights of four for sampling. The crews are also friendly here, and there are plenty of parking spaces, making it a perfect and highly recommended place to visit.
- Crowd Favorite: West Coast IPA. American-style IPA with 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Who’s Got the Juice Now?
- Hop-py Note: Live music. Sells merchandise and gift cards. Kid-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Weathered Souls opened a new location in Charlotte last November 12, 2022.
Hours: Open Sun 11am-8pm, Mon-Wed 2pm-10pm, Thur-Sat 11am-10pm
4. Longtab Brewing Company
Besides craft beers, Longtab has an open heart to the military since it is a veteran-owned brewery. It makes constant fundraising and donations to the Green Beret Foundation, an organization for the official headgear of the Army Special Forces. It also takes pleasure in hosting Green Beret events in its taproom, such as honoring military deaths.
Everyone will have a great time drinking cold beers, and sample pours in Longtab’s taproom with a calm and relaxing ambiance. Be entertained, too, while looking at the military photos on the wall with a lot of stories to tell while feeding Longtab’s simple but delectable bar foods.
- Crowd Favorite: Pineland Oppression. A refreshing hoppy pale ale with 5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Jedburgh
- Hop-py Note: Sells merchandise. Yoga sessions. Curbside pickup.
- Fun Fact: Longtab’s bartenders are all 100% Certified Cicerone Beer Server.
Hours: Open Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon-Wed 4pm-9pm, Thur & Fri 12pm-10pm, Sat 11am-10pm
5. Roadmap Brewing Co.
Roadmap started when one of its owners, Dustin, got a homebrew kit as a wedding gift. He then turned his weekend hobby into opening his dream brewery with the help of his Dad. This passion helped brew award-winning beers that locals and tourists line up for.
You can relish Rroadmap’s 15 core beers on tap in 10 and 16-oz pints, flight pours, and cans to go. Have them in Roadmap’s industrial-themed taproom and sunny patio, which are energized by the brewery’s assistant brewer, Dustin, the dog, and pest control manager, Simcoe, the cat. Kids will also enjoy staying here, as Roadmap provides a playground for the little ones.
- Crowd Favorite: Mini Van Dad. Mango and citrus-scented imperial IPA with 7.9% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Lil’ Rhody
- Hop-py Note: Pet and family-friendly. Movie nights. Yoga sessions.
- Fun Fact: Roadmap’s name came from the saying, “All roads lead to beer.”
Hours: Open Mon-Fri 2pm-10pm, Sat & Sun 12pm-10pm
6. Dos Sirenos Brewing
From wheat beer to IPAs, and stout to pale ale, Dos Sirenos is serving them all. Pair these juicy beers with equally delicious meals from the brewery’s in-house kitchen, such as latte french toast, burger and fries, and mac and cheese, and your drinking session will surely be a night to remember.
Relish your pints and flights of four in Dos Sirenos’ bright, welcoming, and colorful indoor and outdoor seating with a shady and windy patio. Baseball matches played on the TVs around the taproom will also unquestionably make your drinking more action-packed.
- Crowd Favorite: Zeus Juice. Hazy and citrusy New England IPA with 6.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Weisse Guys
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly patio. Live music. Table games. Trivia nights. Sells merchandise.
- Fun Fact: Dos Sirenos invites local merchants to the brewery for a Vendor Market on Small Businesses.
Hours: Open Wed-Fri 2pm-10pm, Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-8pm, Mon & Tue Closed
7. Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling
Operating as Texas’ first brewery and distillery combination, Ranger Creek does not only craft lip-smackingly delicious beers but also flavorful whiskeys, bourbons, and ciders. These award-winning drinks are most often matched up with donuts, waffles, brownies, and other sweet treats from different local bakeries because patrons just can’t get over the mouth-exploding flavor it creates.
Sizzling burgers and freshly cooked fries are also available in Ranger Creek as it invites local food trucks to the brewery. Have your pint or flights paired with delectables in Ranger Creek’s wide space featuring a tasting room, bar, and private rooms.
- Crowd Favorite: OPA (Oatmeal Pale Ale). A smooth, sweet, and toasty malt American-style beer with 5.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Love Struck Hefe
- Hop-py Note: Yoga classes. Live music. Trivia nights. Curbside pickup. Offers tours.
- Fun Fact: Texas beer lovers voted Ranger Creek as the 2022 Best Brewery in Texas.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 10am-4pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-9pm, Sun Closed
8. Back Unturned Brewing Co.
If you want to witness some live brewing process and cooking of meals, check out Back Unturned. It welcomes its customers in an open taproom where you can see what staff are cooking in the kitchen and crafting in the brewery. Not just you’ll be entertained while watching them, but you will also be assured that what you’re eating and drinking is clean.
Besides renowned beers, Back Unturned is also famous for its combination of all fresh ingredients of dough, mozzarella, and Italian sausage, making up a full menu of the best pizzas in town. Wings, shareable appetizers, and desserts also make this place loved by patrons.
- Crowd Favorite: Dream Juice. Tropical and juicy New England IPA with 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Riverwalk Pale
- Hop-py Note: Curbside pickup. Trivia nights. Family-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Back Unturned’s name came from the owner’s dream to brew craft beers that he did not turn his back on.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 11am-11pm, Fri & Sat 11am-12am, Sun 11am-10pm
9. Freetail Brewing Co.
Started brewing in 2008, Freetail is brewed by San Antonio locals, producing the most innovative, bold, and never-before-tasted craft beers. Its unique lagers, sours, and ales quickly spread throughout the city, making a large crowd of beer-lovers swarm into the brewery.
Who would not love Freetail’s casual and inviting taproom with a warm, sunlit patio? It even has fun activities for all ages, such as family runs, grain bag races, and comedy nights. Moreover, if you want to dig deeper into the brewery, hurry and schedule an appointment-based tour of Freetail.
- Crowd Favorite: Soul Doubt. A piney American IPA with 6.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Bat Outta Helles
- Hop-py Note: Yoga sessions. Family-friendly. Food trucks. Trivia nights.
- Fun Fact: Freetail’s Bowie Bock won a bronze medal at the Great American Beer Festival.
Hours: Open Sun-Wed 11am-10pm, Thur-Sat 11am-11pm
10. Mad Pecker Brewing Co.
With 12 draft and 11 guest beers on tap, which you can relish in pints or flights of four 5 oz, Mad Pecker makes it hard not to be a local favorite. It even serves classic pub grubs, so spending a relaxing afternoon or a quick getaway here after your tiring job is highly recommended.
You can stay in the brewery’s spacious taproom with a bar and many options for indoor seating. TVs are also placed for you to keep entertained. A shaded, fan-infused outdoor space is designed perfectly as well for your relaxing drinking session. Moreover, to secure a seat when you visit here, reserving on Mad Pecker’s website is suggested.
- Crowd Favorite: Bitter Soul ESB. A refreshing light beer with 4.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: The Ripper
- Hop-py Note: Trivia nights. Private parking lot. Sells merchandise and gift cards.
- Fun Fact: Mad Pecker’s Bitter Soul ESB won silver at the 2022 Great American Beer Festival.
Hours: Open Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-10pm, Mon 12pm-11pm, Tue & Wed 3pm-11pm, Thur Closed
11. Black Laboratory Brewing
If you love science and physical activities, Black Laboratory is the one for you. It is owned by two scientists, and every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month, Black Laboratory hosts a 2-3 miles downtown run. Yoga classes are also up from the brewery for 2 Sundays a month. The owners know, by science, that sweating off calls for a cold beer after.
Enjoy Black Laboratory’s 8 core beers and 8 limited releases that you can chug on 16 oz draft, cans to-go, and a flight of four beers. Black Laboratory also crafts coffees, so you might try some, and when you get hungry, no worries since the neighboring Cake Thieves Bakery and Truth Pizzeria are ready to fill you up.
- Crowd Favorite: Mox’s IPA. American IPA brewed from extra dry hops with 6.3% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Vanilla Joe
- Hop-py Note: Family and dog-friendly. Table games. Curbside pickup.
Hours: Open Wed-Fri 3pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon & Tue Closed