California is known worldwide for its great beer. But there are a few cities that go above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to craft beer, and Long Beach is one of them.
The city is filled with unusual brews crafted by naturally skilled and creative brewers that will surely tickle your tastebuds. Here are seven of the best breweries you can find in Long Beach, California you should not miss!
1. Ballast Point Brewing Company
Known as a San Diego favorite, Ballast Point has expanded its operations and opened multiple locations, including in Long Beach, California. This establishment is an award-winning microbrewery with a number of brews that have won awards and recognitions.
Ballast Point’s Long Beach location is a fantastic place to chill with your family and companions. It has a terrific outdoor patio with fire pits and a great beach view. Moreover, the place has a full bar showcasing a variety of beers as well as several ciders and hard seltzers. Its food menu is also just as amazing, and the items are not just limited to American cuisine, but Chef Jhun also occasionally offers multicultural dishes.
- Crowd Favorite: Sculpin. A tasty and strong American IPA with 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Grapefruit Sculpin
- Hop-py Note: Bike and private lot parking. Kid-friendly. Wheelchair accessible. Offers takeout.
Hours: Open Mon-Fri 11am-11pm, Sat 10am-11pm, Sun 10am-9pm
Address: 110 N Marina Dr, Long Beach, CA 90803
Contact: (562)296-4470 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Trademark Brewing
Driven by the couple Sterling and Ilana Steffen’s passion for brewing, they opened the first production microbrewery in Long Beach, Trademark Brewing. It is a sustainability-focused brewery committed to using less water and energy than other breweries in the city.
Trademark Brewing’s taproom and beer garden is open daily, serving over 20 taps of its signature and experimental brews. The place is kid and dog friendly, so bring in the little ones and our furry friends. Moreover, outside food is welcome inside the taproom, and you can also grab some fare from the food trucks available every day.
- Crowd Favorite: Codebreaker West Coast IPA. A hoppy American IPA with 7.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Hula Moon
- Hop-py Note: Sells merchandise and gift cards. Bike and street parking.
- Fun Fact: Trademark Brewing has available games indoor such as cornhole, giant connect four, and giant Jenga.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 4:30pm-10pm, Fri 3pm-11pm, Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-9pm
Address: 233 E Anaheim St, Long Beach, CA 90813
Contact: (562)302-7722 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Beachwood Brewing
Beachwood Brewing is undoubtedly one of the best breweries in Long Beach, with its award-winning brews and fantastic food menu. Aside from its Downtown Long Beach location, it also has two active branches in Huntington Beach and Garden Grove.
Beachwood Brewing is known for crafting drinkable and clean brews, as well as serving scrumptious slow-smoked meats. Its taproom features over 20 beers on tap, and if you are not sure what to get, you can try a flight of four 4oz brews for a more incredible experience. You can also find a variety of bottled beers on site that you can grab for to-go.
- Crowd Favorite: Amalgamator. A dynamic West Coast-style IPA with 7.1% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Citraholic
- Hop-py Note: Occasional events. Vegetarian food options. Offers takeout.
- Fun Fact: Beachwood Brewing won a gold medal from the 2022 Great Beer American Festival for its Full Malted Jacket.
Hours: Open Wed-Sun 12pm-9pm, Mon & Tue Closed
Address: 210 E 3rd St, Long Beach, CA 90802
Contact: (562)436-4020 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Beachwood Blendery
Beachwood Blendery is a subsidiary of Beachwood Brewing. This establishment is your best bet if barrel-aged Belgian-style beers and funky sours are right up your alley. Moreover, Beachwood Blendery offers fun and exciting reservation-only packages so you can have a more memorable experience.
Beachwood Blendery offers guided tours to its custom-designed barrel room. Here, you can personally learn and know the brewery’s unique techniques and blending methods. You can also try a carefully selected flight so you can taste a variety of brews in one setting.
- Crowd Favorite: Chaos Is A Friend of Mine. A traditional Belgian lambic with 6.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Dia De Los Mangos
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly. Kid-friendly. Offers charcuterie board.
- Fun Fact: Beachwood Blendery has a reservation-only policy where guests should book a prepaid reservation to visit the blendery.
Address: 247 Long Beach Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90802
Contact: (562)436-4020 | Instagram | Website
5. Long Beach Beer Lab
If you love science and beer, then you will love this one. Long Beach Beer Lab is a craft brewery that likes to experiment with different flavors and blends, coming up with exciting and innovative beers.
What also sets Long Beach Beer Lab apart is its in-house bakery & cafe, where you can enjoy freshly baked artisan sourdough and pizza. The menu also has Chalav Yisroel, vegan and gluten-free items, so you have plenty of options. And if you like sweet treats, you can find sweet and savory pastries on the menu, as well as freshly brewed coffee.
- Crowd Favorite: LB 4.20. A piney and hoppy American IPA with 7.3% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Milk the Mustache
- Hop-py Note: Yoga every 1st & 3rd Saturday of the month. Trivia nights. Sells merchandise. Gift cards.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 11am-10pm, Fri & Sat 11am-11pm
Address: 518 W Willow St, Long Beach, CA 90806
Contact: (562)279-3253 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Belmont Brewing Company
Belmont Brewing opened its doors to the public in 1990 and is a favorite stop for locals and tourists alike. Its seven-barrel production facility produces over 1,000 barrels of beer every year with the help of its head brewer, David Blackwell. This skilled brewer has years of experience in brewing and has a passion for crafting clean and recognizable beers.
Belmont Brewing’s taproom has an inviting indoor area and a lovely outdoor patio with a great view of the beach. It features a bar showcasing its handcrafted cocktails and beers on tap. And on its menu, you can find a wide selection of food items that are not only delicious but also Instagram-worthy.
- Crowd Favorite: Strawberry Blonde. An aromatic and refreshing fruit beer with a 4.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Long Beach Crude
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly. Vegan and vegetarian options are available.
- Fun Fact: Belmont Brewing is the oldest brewpub in Southern California.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 11:30am-9:30pm, Fri 11:30am-10pm, Sat 10am-10pm, Sun 10am-9:30pm
Address: 25 39th Pl, Long Beach, CA 90803
Contact: (562)433-3891 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
7. Ambitious Ales
Ambitious Ales is the result of the passion and hard work of five friends who shares a love for crafting beers. It is located in a 71-year-old building in Bixby Knolls that gives off an industrial vibe, perfect for building great relationships.
Ambitious Ales has a nice place and a lovely shaded beer garden with plenty of seating. Here, you can bring the kids with you and order some food from the brewery’s partnered restaurants and food trucks, such as Thunder Bolt Pizza and Saucy Chick Rotisserie. Moreover, Ambitious Ales offers 4-packs of 16oz cans and bottles for takeout orders, and you can also have a growler fill if you like.
- Crowd Favorite: Central Perk. A flavorful blonde ale with a 5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Fleurs
- Hop-py Note: Wheelchair accessible. Dog-friendly. Bike and street parking.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 4pm-9:30pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-10:30pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon Closed
Address: 4019 Atlantic Ave, Long Beach, CA 90807
Contact: (562)285-7199 | Facebook | Instagram | Website