Served as a home to Martin Luther King Jr. and Kanye West and nicknamed the Peach State, Georgia has worldwide recognition for various reasons. It won’t be a surprise, though, if “One of the Best States to Drink Beer” will one day be attached to its name as breweries here tend to transform into the best.
If you’re searching for the most notable brewery in Georgia, we’ve rounded up 10 of the best, so you better buckle up and read on.
1. SweetWater Brewing Company
From its name, SweetWater truly aims to use the quality of water in its beers by teaming up with various non-profit organizations like Chattahoochee Riverkeeper and Waterkeeper Alliance. For SweetWater, one can not make good beers without good water, so in the past decade, it has donated a total of $100k and targets to donate another $100k by summer.
From a small brewery run by two college boys in 1997, SweetWater creates mainstream pale ales, wheat beers, and lagers. You can choose them among SweetWater’s 11 year-round beers, two limited releases, and a few seasonals. Non-beer options like hard tea, vodka soda, and hard seltzers are also available.
- Crowd Favorite: 420 Extra Pale Ale. A West Coast style beer with a strong hop character containing 5.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: IPA
- Hop-py Notes: Live music. Dog-friendly patio. Brewery tours.
- Fun Fact: SweetWater supports Camp Twin Lakes, an organization that helps children with serious illnesses and disabilities.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 11:30am-9pm, Fri & Sat 11:30m-10pm, Sun 11:30am-8pm, Mon Closed
Address: 195 Ottley Dr NE, Atlanta, GA 30324
Contact: (770)876-0251 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Scofflaw Brewing Co.
Founded in 2015 by Matt Shirah and Brewmaster Travis Herman, Scofflaw is now a nationally acclaimed brewery. Its humble beginning can be traced in a dark basement housing five one-barrel fermentation tanks. Today, it is located in an 18,000 square feet space featuring a 50-barrel brewhouse.
Scofflaw was also given numerous accolades, including One of the Top 10 New Breweries in the World by Rate Beer. Visit Scofflaw and try its IPAs, lagers, porters, and sours, available in pint, flight, crowler, and can.
- Crowd Favorite: Basement IPA. Juicy citrus with hints of lemon grass American-style beer with 7.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: POG Basement
- Hop-py Notes: Bingo nights. Kid-friendly. Dog-friendly patio. Board games. Sells merchandise.
- Fun Fact: Scofflaw means a person who openly disregards a law rooted in the contest, took part in 1924 to create a term for ” a lawless drinker.”
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 12pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-12am
Address: 1738 MacArthur Blvd NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
Contact: (404)343-2832 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Two Tides Brewing Company
Established in 2018 by James and Liz Massey, Two Tides makes the best sour, haze, and funk beers. Further, enjoy them with games as Two Tides feature three free pinball machines in its casual and laid-back taproom.
If you fancy art, you’ll appreciate Two Tides’ sand on-point beer labels designed by Alexandria Hall. Furthermore, if you’re just interested in Two Tides’ tasty beers, it currently offers 19 options on draft. You might also want to catch its Slush Fest during summer to enjoy cold beer slushies from all over the country.
- Crowd Favorite: Sixfoot. An aggressively hopped New England IPA with 6.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Hydrus
- Hop-py Notes: Curbside pickup. Sells merchandise and gift cards. Children and dog-friendly. Free street parking.
- Fun Fact: Two Tides’ building was made in 1910 as a residence to Starland Dairy’s manager.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12:30pm-10pm
Address: 12 W 41st St, Savannah, GA 31401
Contact: (912)667-0706 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Reformation Brewery
Not just 19 authentic and premium beers are available on Reformation’s draft list. A variety of classic coffees, teas, and pastries like cinnamon rolls, cookies, and granola bars can be tasted in Reformation daily from 8 AM onwards. A small batch of craft spirits and cocktails with a North Georgia twist also makes its beverage menu wider.
You’ll love Reformation for its impeccable brews and crafts and its heart for the community. It supports causes that will make a difference in the community, depending on the availability of resources and their impact. Recently, it partnered with 97.1 FM The River to support Stomps Out Hunger.
- Crowd Favorite: Cadence. Deep fruit-scented Belgian-style with 6.9% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Jude
- Hop-py Notes: Karaoke nights. Family and dog-friendly. Live music. Board games.
- Fun Fact: Reformation Brewery holds Wenceslas Project annually, wherein it helps one local in need.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 8am-11pm, Fri & Sat 8am-1am, Sun 8am-10pm
Address: 105 Elm St, Woodstock, GA 30188
Contact: (678)345-8080 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. New Realm Brewing Co.
New Realm was founded in 2016 by Carey Falcone, Bob Powers, and Mitch Steele as a brewery and distillery. It currently has its flagship brewery and restaurant in Atlanta, Georgia, while the other two locations are in Virginia and South Carolina.
Indulge in New Realm’s wide-ranging beer style, which varies from approachable pilsners to hop-forward IPAs, and fruity sour beers to rye barrel-aged imperial stouts. Partner them with a delectable and diverse Atlanta food scene in Chef Jenna Henke’s locally sourced menu.
- Crowd Favorite: Hazy Like a Fox. A pineapple and tangerine-flavored hazy IPA with 6.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Hoptropolis
- Hop-py Notes: Curbside pickup. Sells merchandise and gift cards. Trivia nights. Live music.
- Fun Fact: New Realm has a loyalty program wherein every $1 you spend will equal 1 point. You can also receive a $25 award after reaching 250 points and $10 for every ten orders in New Realm.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 11am-9pm, Fri & Sat 11am-10pm
Address: 550 Somerset Terrace NE Unit 101, Atlanta, GA 30306
Contact: (404)968-2777 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Cherry Street Brewing
Cherry Street opened as a taproom in the lucky numbers 12-12-12, in Rick Tanner’s Grill in Vickery Village. From there, luscious and lip-smacking IPAs and smooth porters came to life, giving the brewery multiple awards and recognitions in GABF, US Beer Open, and much more.
One of Cherry Street’s three missions is to take care of our planet, while the other two are to involve the community and provide education. It is committed to reducing its water usage by collecting and reusing its water. Its spent grain is also donated to local farmers to be fertilizers.
- C Favorite: That Coconut Porter. A London robust porter-style beer with cocoa and vanilla bean flavors containing 6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Steppin’ Razor DDH IPA
- Hop-py Notes: Offers delivery. Sells merchandise and gift cards. Trivia nights.
- Fun Fact: Cherry Street has a Mug Club Membership wherein one of the perks is for you to have an all-access pass to any of its locations.
Hours: Open Mon 11am-9pm, Tue-Fri 11am-10pm, Sat 9am-10pm, Sun 9am-9pm
Address: 5810 Bond St, Cumming, GA 30040
Contact: (770)205-5512 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
7. Monday Night Brewing
Founders Jonathan, Jeff, and Joel started homebrewing in 2006 to get to know each other every Monday night, hence its name. Not until early 2013 did they open their first location in West Midtown and started brewing beers focused on core and hoppy small-batch beers. The location flourished to a state-of-the-art facility with four vessels with 30-bbl brewhouse and thirteen 120-bbl fermenters. In 2017, it opened its second location in Southwest, which serves as its experimentation location and home for its barrel-aged sour beers.
Aside from being an outstanding beer provider, Monday Night also extends hands to the people in need in the community. It focuses on giving to surrounding communities that focus on childhood education and development, like Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Atlanta.
- Crowd Favorite: Blind Pirate. A juicy hop bomb American IPA with 7.4% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Drafty Kilt
- Hop-py Notes: Trivia nights. Brewery tours. Dog-friendly patio.
Hours: Open Mon-Wed 4pm-9pm, Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-8pm
Address: 670 Trabert Ave NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
Contact: (404)352-7703 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
8. Creature Comforts Brewing
With 16 beers on its draft menu ranging from hoppy, roasty, crispy, and fruity, it is impossible not to keep returning to Creature Comforts. You can enjoy its beers in various servings, such as 16 oz, 10 oz, and 5 oz. Non-alcoholic beverages like sparkling water, kombucha, and soda are also ready to save anyone who’s not up for boozing.
Further enjoy your stay in Creature Comforts with a relaxing outdoor space with some cornhole to play and TVs to watch sports. Snacks like pretzels, potato chips, and gluten-free cheese straws are also available.
- Crowd Favorite: Tropicália. Balanced and soft American IPA with 6.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Athena
- Hop-py Notes: Live music. Sells merchandise. Family and pet-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Creature Comforts operates as a Certified B Corporation.
Hours: Open Mon-Fri 5pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 1pm-6pm
Address: 271 W Hancock Ave, Athens, GA 30601
Contact: (706)410-1043 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
9. Service Brewing Co.
Founded in 2014 by Kevin Ryan, a former Army commander, Service Brewing gets by through the investment of two dozen Army, Navy, and Marine Corps Veterans. When you step inside Service Brewing, don’t be shocked to see its officers on patrol, Blackhawk and Chinook, the brewery’s fighting crime resident cats.
Join Service Brewing every last Saturday of every month for Power Yoga. You will experience an hour of vinyasa yoga class and one-pint free beer. It also has a Run Club every Thursday at 6:30 PM, wherein you’ll earn points each week you’ll show up.
- Crowd Favorite: Compass Rose. A refreshing IPA with citrus peel and a hint of pine containing 6.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Rally Point
- Hop-py Notes: Pet-friendly. Sells merchandise. Live music. Trivia nights.
- Fun Fact: Service Brewing donates a portion of every pint sold in its taproom to a non-profit organization called Veterans Healing Farm.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 4pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12:30pm-5:30pm, Mon & Tue Closed
Address: 574 Indian St, Savannah, GA 31401
Contact: (912)358-1002 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
10. Orpheus Brewing
Driven by Orpheus’ story of making Eurydice vanish by not trusting him, the brewery, bearing the same name, wishes to straighten Orpheus’ mistakes of looking back. It works its way to creating the most premium and unique beers by focusing on its own and not comparing any of it to other’s brews. The result gave Orpheus Brewing 61 magically tasting beers that are constantly praised for their native funk and big hop qualities.
If you’re looking for a place to rent for an upcoming event, you may want to include Orpheus in your venue options. You can spend an intimate evening in The Barrel Room with upgraded cozy bar seating. Its Back Deck, on the other hand, offers a perfect view of Piedmont Park.
- Crowd Favorite: Transmigration of Souls. A dry and malt-bodied double IPA with 10% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Atalanta
- Hop-py Notes: Sells merchandise. Family and pet-friendly. Sells to-go beers.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 3pm-9pm, Fri 2pm-10pm, Sat 12:30pm-10pm, Sun 12:30pm-9pm
Address: 1440 Dutch Valley Pl NE, Atlanta, GA 30324
Contact: (404)347-1777 | Facebook | Instagram | Website