Sarasota is a city in Florida filled with pristine sand beaches, scenic views, and rich cultural heritage. Today, it also boasts several breweries that welcome beer-aficionados and newbies who enjoy craft beer.
If you are searching for a new beer paradise, head to Sarasota and check out these five outstanding breweries in the city.
1. Calusa Brewing
The name Calusa can be traced to Native Americans who inhabited Florida’s Gulf Coast in the 1500s. Not surprising, though, as the brewery is veteran-owned with a deep patriotism to the ancestors of its land. Like the Calusa, the brewery strives to utilize Florida’s resources to craft one-of-a-kind beers.
Enjoy some wood-aged and mixed culture fermentation beers as you sit in Calusa’s modern-looking taproom and tent-shaded beer garden. Many food trucks are parking outside Calusa’s premises for a large option of pub grubs.
- Crowd Favorite: Zote. A citrusy New England IPA with 7.5% ABV, crafted using Citra and Mosaic hops.
- Highly Recommended: Citronious
- Hop-py Note: Sells merchandise and digital gift cards. Pet and family-friendly. Pool table. Offers cans and bottles to-go. Free parking spaces.
- Fun Fact: Calusa’s Zote won the 2022 Best Florida Beer.
Hours: Open Tue-Fri 12pm-10pm, Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-8pm, Mon Closed
Address: 5701 Derek Ave, Sarasota, FL 34233
Contact: (941)922-8150 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Good Liquid Brewing Co.
If you’re searching for a total escape to the city in your next drinking session, Good Liquid has a picturesque view. It is located in New Waterside Place and boasts a relaxing lakefront sight, perfect for capturing a beautiful sunset. Relish it with your set of amazing beers, available in beer flights for sampling and pints for boozing.
Patrons also commend Good Liquid for its chef-inspired dishes. Try some of its Brussels sprouts, meatballs, kale salad, and buffalo chicken sandwich for the best Good Liquid experience.
- Crowd Favorite: Double IPA. A grapefruit-scented and flavored beer with 8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Honey Rye Pale Ale
- Hop-py Note: Dog and family-friendly. Bingo nights. Sells gift cards. Open for reservations.
- Fun Fact: Good Liquid is a married couple and veteran-owned brewery.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 11am-9pm, Fri & Sat 11am-10pm
Address: 1570 Lakefront Dr, Sarasota, FL 34240
Contact: (941)238-6466 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Sun King Brewery
Sun King Brewery started its operation in 2009 at its original location, Indianapolis. It is a brewery owned by Clay and Dave, friends who share the same interest in craft beers. They both have established Sun King, and with their amazing brew skills, they have won multiple awards from GABF, World Beer Cup, and Indiana Beer Cup.
Today, Sun King has six active locations, including Sarasota, Florida. This branch opened in July 2022 and serves several flagships of Sun King’s beers and spirits. The place also serves snacks and invites local food trucks daily, serving delicious food. Moreover, Sun King Sarasota has televisions inside its taproom and several board games for entertainment.
- Crowd Favorite: Wee Mac Scottish-Style Ale. A flavorful Scottish Ale with 5.3% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Osiris Pale Ale
- Hop-py Note: Wheelchair accessible. Bike parking. Covered outdoor seating.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 1pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-8pm, Mon Closed
Address: 1215 Mango Ave, Sarasota, FL 34237
Contact: (941)893-3940 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Big Top Brewing Company
Anyone who loves outside drinking will adore Big Top. It is deeply patronized for its wide lawn area, decorated with fabric shades and wonderful lights. A full live band is also ready to serenade you for Big Top’s Open Jam every Thursday. When it’s not the schedule for fun music, TVs are turned on around the taproom for sports matches or eye-fixating movies.
Not only will you love Big Top’s drinking location but its set of amazing beers. Taste its 19 beers from Belgian ales, Triple IPA, and American stouts. Wines, seltzers, and ciders can give you a larger option.
- Crowd Favorite: Hawaiian Lion. A coconut and coffee porter with 7.5% ABV, brewed from local Java Dog Coffee and lots of fresh coconuts.
- Highly Recommended: Circus City
- Hop-py Note: Bingo and trivia nights. Kid and dog-friendly. Yoga classes. Wheelchair accessible.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 11:30am-10pm, Fri 11:30am-11:30pm, Sat 12pm-11:30pm, Sun 12pm-8pm
Address: 975 Cattlemen Rd, Sarasota, FL 34232
Contact: (941)371-2939 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Brew Life Brewing
Although named the smallest brewery in Sarasota, there’s nothing to consider small in Brew Life but its space. First-time beer drinkers in the brewery are often overwhelmed by how fantastic and yet undiscovered Brew Life’s set of sours is, especially its variety of guava beers. To flavor up the draft list more, superb beers like a famous brown ale, hard seltzers, and kombucha are also available.
While staying in Brew Life, take advantage of its talk-of-the-town retro arcade. Bring out the inner kid in you in the brewery’s Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Off-Road, and Centipede. And order some chicken barbeque and beef grilled cheese from food trucks visiting Brew Life.
- Crowd Favorite: Pink Guava IPA. A rich and fruity American-style beer containing 7.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Dude! Itz Brown
- Hop-py Note: Curbside pickup. Wheelchair accessible. Sells merchandise.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 2pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon 2pm-10pm, Tue Closed
Address: 5765 S Beneva Rd, Sarasota, FL 34233
Contact: (941)952-3831 | Facebook | Instagram | Website