Table of Contents
Birmingham’s award-winning restaurants, excellent museums, authentic Southern hospitality, and baseball aren’t the only things this charming city has to offer. Birmingham is also home to world-class craft breweries and the best local craft beers.
Birmingham’s craft beer scene is one of the best in the US. It has become more vibrant and entertaining as compared to eleven years ago. Birmingham will soon become a craft beer hotspot after getting much-awaited recognition from all over the country. So hop in and tag along with us as we take you on a craft beer adventure in “The Magic City.”
1. Good People Brewing
Old is definitely Gold with Good People Brewing. Being the pioneer and one of the most respected Birmingham craft breweries, their award-winning brews will never disappoint. Their large taproom is inside their brewery, so you can take a peek at what a day is like in a brewery as you sip refreshing craft brews. Food trucks serving sumptuous food are on-site, so it’s easy to grab some grub.
- Crowd Favorite: Muchacho. Crisp, tasty Mexican-style lager with 4.8% ABV
- Highly Recommended: Snake Handler. A double IPA with a well-balanced flavor-packed with 10% ABV
- Hop-py Note: Dogs are allowed. Best place for Birmingham brewery tour.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 12pm-10pm, Fri-Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-8pm
2. Ghost Train Brewing Co.
There’s no place like two homes (and counting) for Ghost Train Brewing. Dubbed as one of the fastest-growing Birmingham craft breweries, this forward-thinking brewery currently has two locations offering different vibes. Their OG spot is in shipping containers where you can enjoy your draft brews, live music, and a late-night grub.
On the other hand, their new location features a large modern brewhouse, a cocktail bar, and an expansive taproom with 90 taps. Ghost Train’s new location will become Birmingham’s premier venue for shows, events, and big parties.
- Crowd Favorite: Kaleidoscope Kettle Sour, a sour ale with 4.9% ABV that will haunt your taste buds
- Highly Recommended: Proven Spirits Vodka
- Hop-py Note: Their new location has an extensive outdoor space where people can ride bikes or play with their dogs
Hours: Mon-Wed 12pm-10pm, Thur – Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-10pm
Address: 2616 3rd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
3. Avondale Brewing Company
Fancy a round of golf with your friends while sipping an artisanal beer? Avondale Brewing’s got a special event space just for you. Housed in a historic building, it has a spacious beer garden where you can enjoy concerts and other events. They are currently serving eight types of craft beer on tap, wine, Avondale Seltzers, and cocktails, so you don’t need to shop elsewhere.
- Crowd Favorite: Miss Fancy’s Tripel. With 9.5% ABV, this solid Belgian golden ale is not for the faint-hearted but is highly addictive.
- Highly Recommended: Sour Pash. A refreshing passion fruit sour ale | Brunch Punch Shandy. A yummy, low-calorie, low-carb tangerine ale
- Hop-py Note: Food trucks on-site, accepts Birmingham brewery tour.
- Fun Fact: Miss Fancy’s Tripel was named after a beer-drinking circus elephant from the 1920s.
Hours: Mon – Wed 12pm-10pm, Thur 12pm-11pm, Fri + Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 1pm-10pm
Address: 201 41st S Birmingham, AL 35222
4. Back Forty Beer Company
Do you want to try refreshing brews from one of the best Birmingham Breweries with food served fresh? Well, the award-winning Back Forty should be on top of your list. They’ve got a spacious taproom, beer garden, and event spaces. And their mouth-watering gourmet pub food is perfect for your family and friends. Maintaining 16-26 craft beers on tap, they always have something to wet your whistles.
- Crowd Favorite: Truck Stop Honey brown ale is one of chef Chris Hastings’s favorite craft beers.
- Highly Recommended: Bama Mosa Brut Ale. A juicy, refreshingly crisp beer
Hours: Sun 11am – 8pm, Mon Wed Thur 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat: 11 am – 11pm, Tues: Closed
5. Trim Tab
Want a taste of “Paradise” in Birmingham while listening to music and appreciating artworks from local artists? Because that’s what spending a day in Trim Tab is. Making small moves with a significant impact on the local community, this micro brewery was named one of America’s Top 10 Breweries 2019 by Thrillist, Forbes, and many more. Family-friendly and spacious, their large outdoor patio is an ideal spot for everyone. They have a Tasting Gallery-cum-art gallery that serves as a music and private events venue.
- Crowd Favorite: Paradise Now, a tasty thirst quencher with a kick
- Highly Recommended: Their special beer-based slushie is available every Saturday. Avail of limited small-batch release every Sunday.
- Hop-py Note: Handicapped accessible, dog-friendly
Hours: Sun-Thur 12pm – 10pm, Fri and Sat 12pm – Midnight
Address: 2721 5th Ave S, Birmingham, Al 35233
6. Cahaba Brewing Company
How about hanging out in Birmingham’s favorite brewery? Located in the historical Continental Gin Complex, everything is big and vibrant for this new brewery. Cahaba Brewing Company has a massive taproom, arcade games area, patio, and brewery where big or small events can be held. Known for using locally sourced ingredients, they have a large selection of different craft beer styles that will suit anyone’s taste buds. Their vodka, bourbon, gin, and cocktails are as impressive as their craft brews.
- Crowd Favorite: Cahaba Blonde is light-bodied but full of flavor. Perfect thirst quencher
- Highly Recommended: Oktoberfest. A full-bodied brew with 6.9% ABV
- Hop-py Note: They serve limited experimental beer on tap every Friday
- Fun Fact: Cahaba Brewing regularly partners with different non-profit organizations and gives back to charities.
Hours: Mon 3pm – 10pm, Tues – Sat 11am – 10pm, Sun 11am – 8pm
7. Birmingham District Brewing Co
What do you get when you combine your love for your city and your desire to create better, bolder craft brews? You’ll get Birmingham District Brewing! This micro brewery’s indoor and outdoor spaces were designed reminiscent of Birmingham’s iron and steel heritage. Even their taps and glasses have emblems of Magic City’s mining industry. This new brewery loves to brew something for everyone. From IPAs to blondes, pilsners, fruited sours, and stouts, there’s always something new at their taps that make people come back for more.
- Crowd Favorite: Lose Your Way. The best New England IPA that tastes like summer but can be a kicker.
- Highly Recommended: Pomegranate Salty Amigo. A refreshing Margarita-inspired fruit gose
Hours: Mon-thurs: 12pm – 10pm, Fri: 12pm – 12am, Sat: 11am – 12am, Sun: 12pm – 8pm
8. Monday Night Social Club
Delectable food meets fresh brews equal Monday Night Social Club. Operated by Atlanta-based Monday Night Brewing, this new brewery is on the list of the best Birmingham Breweries, with food served hot and fresh. They have a large taproom and a full kitchen that serves flavorful Tex-Mex food. You’ll also enjoy playing time with large cornholes, jumbo Jenga, and Connect Four with your family and friends on their spacious patio.
- Crowd Favorite: Blind Pirate. Best-selling IPA that’s bold yet refreshingly good
- Highly Recommended: They have over 25 brews on tap, but you can ask their highly-trained bartenders to help you create your very own beverage
- Fun Fact: A renowned travel magazine named their burrito “The Best Breakfast Burrito in the World.”
Hours: Mon-thurs 11:30am – 10pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am – 12am, Sun 11:30am – 8pm
Address: 14 12th St S, Birmingham, Al 35233
9. True Story Brewing Company
Would you like your beer served alongside pinball, billiards, foosball, and board games? A friendly neighborhood micro brewery, True Story Brewing has a lot of exciting stories to tell. This new brewery has a friendly staff and a cozy place, giving you a neighborhood pub vibe. Enjoy some delicious hotdogs, tacos, nachos, and an intriguing pickle sandwich while listening to live music and shows. Fascinate yourself with artworks from local artists as you sip their interesting, tasty craft beers on draft and taps.
- Crowd Favorite: Fabricator Double IPA. Flavorful yet has a strong taste. 8.5% ABV
- Highly Recommended: Sacre Bru Saison. Traditional farm-style Belgian ale that’s great for summer
Hours: Mon: 4pm – 9pm, Tues – Fri: 11am – 11pm, Sat: 12pm – 11pm, Su: 2pm – 10pm
10. Ferus Artisan Ales
Celebrate the wild and unusual sour beers in Ferus Artisan Ales. This new brewery takes pride in its indoor seating, exterior details, taprooms, and accents inspired by nature and wild game. They also take pride in serving everything from chef-curated menus and yummy burgers to desserts along with crisp pilsners, sours, barrel-aged beers, and flavored stouts. If catching some free live concerts and sipping exotic craft brews are up to your alley, then Ferus Artisan Ales should be on your go-to places.
- Crowd Favorite: American IPA. Citrusy with a well-balanced bitter and smooth taste.
- Highly Recommended: Fallen Down: Mango Pineapple Key Lime. A Tropical beer perfect for the summer heat.
- Hop-py Note: If you want to catch their free live concerts, book an RSVP on their website.
Hours: Wed-Thurs 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm, Sun Brunch 11am- 3pm, Dinner 4pm-9pm
11. Hop City Craft Beer And Wine
If you’ve never been to a place filled with all kinds of beer and wines, then you’ve never been to Hop City. Named “Atlanta’s Favorite Wine Store,” you’ll find the most extensive beer and wine selections here. So whether you are a beer fan or a wine enthusiast, Hop City Craft Beer and Wine’s got your back. They also have a well-curated 66-tap draft beer wall where choices constantly rotate, so you’ll get a different experience every time you visit. Hop City is your must-stop location whether you want a glass or a bottle of your tipple.
- Hop-py Note: They have roomy indoor seating and an outdoor patio where you can enjoy your beer.
- Highly Recommended: Join their free tasting activities held every day of the week.
Hours: Mon-Sat 11am – 9pm, Sun 12pm-6pm