Brooklyn has a fun, exciting, and colorful story about its craft beer scene history. The large population of German and Austrian brewing immigrants played a crucial role in transforming the styles, flavors, and tastes of the beer the city is now serving.
To help you discover more about the world-class beers that Brooklyn offers, ready yourself as we give you the list of the eleven best breweries you can find in Brooklyn, New York.
1. Other Half Brewing
From a humble brewery in 2014, Other Half has grown into a massive entity serving beers in numerous locations around the United States. Its original location is in Brooklyn, featuring a spacious taproom with 20 draft beers, wine, and cider.
If you find artworks and craft beers a great combo, great news because Other Half also fancies arts. It hosts Art shows for people like King Baby, a famous graffiti artist. Moreover, it also conducts a Tie-dye Class hosted by a local tye-dye clothes enthusiast.
- Crowd Favorite: Double Dry Hopped All Citra Everything. An Imperial IPA with 8.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Green City
- Hop-py Note: Trivia nights. Kid and dog-friendly. Sells merchandise.
- Fun Fact: Other Half brewed a worldwide collaboration beer named “All Together,” wherein 100% of the proceeds were donated to a hospitality workers’ foundation.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 12pm-10pm, Fri 12pm-12am, Sat 10am-12pm, Sun 11am-9pm
Address: 195 Centre St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
Contact: (212)564-6065 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Brooklyn Brewery
One of the pioneers in the city, Brooklyn Brewery, started crafting beers in 1988. At first, it only made deliveries to different places, but in 1996, it opened its first-ever taproom. Today, Brooklyn Brewery serves a magnificent number of year-round beers, seasonal brews, and several limited beers on tap.
To recognize the support people have been showering, Brooklyn has always set an eye for community involvement. It brewed The Stonewall Inn IPA to collaborate with an organization, highlighting LGBTQ+ activists fighting for equal rights around the globe. Moreover, it also donates beers to local groups like Brooklyn Museum and Transportation Alternatives for their events.
- Crowd Favorite: Brooklyn Lager. A light and caramel-flavored Vienna lager with 5.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Brooklyn East IPA
- Hop-py Note: Pet-friendly. Brewery Tours. Non-alcoholic beers available.
- Fun Fact: Brooklyn’s brewmaster Garett Oliver won a James Beard Award for Outstanding Spirits, Wine, and Beer Professional in 2014.
Hours: Open Mon-Wed 4pm-9pm, Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 2pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 3:30pm-8pm
Address: 79 N 11th St, Brooklyn, NY 11249
Contact: (718)486-7422 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Grimm Artisanal Ales
In 2013, Joe and Lauren Grimm established the brewery, with a plan to brew the best beers around the world. Grimm was a nomadic brewery until its permanent location in East Williamsburg in 2018. Currently, it specializes in experimenting with the American artisanal beer revolution that uses concise and elegant ales. This gave birth to its 30 premium draft beers on tap, along with 18 to-go cans.
Grimm organizes fun activities to enjoy, such as Reverse Tie-Dye Workshop, Bring-Your-Own-Vinyl Record Fair, and Pumpkin Carving. Moreover, it also invites vintage vendors in its taproom to showcase vintage clothes collection and vintage knick-knacks. For food, no worries because Grimm invites a local food vendor that makes the most delicious pizzas in town.
- Crowd Favorite: Tesseract. Tropical fruit and citrus-scented hazy IPA with 8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Lambo Door
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly. Live music. Indoor and outdoor seating.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 2pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-8pm
Address: 990 Metropolitan Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211
Contact: (718)564-9767 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Sixpoint Brewery
If you’re looking for a brewery deeply passionate about its love for beer, you’re gonna enjoy Sixpoint. Over the years, it has hosted an Art Show Contest, making artists answer why beer is culture. It picks the winner through its 4-pillar criteria, including live fan votes. The winner will take home $1K and will be featured on their next beer.
As a brewery, Sixpoint started as a wholesale manufacturer distributing its beers across New York City. But on October 2022, it opened its first-ever taproom in Downtown Brooklyn, located at the lower level of City Point Center. Here, you can enjoy its 12-year-round beers on tap with its classic wood-fired food and a selection of cocktails.
- Crowd Favorite: Resin. A strong Imperial IPA with 9.1% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Bengali
- Hop-py Note: Billiard games. Live music.
- Fun Fact: In May 2017, Sixpoint started releasing all of their ales raw and unfiltered.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 11am – 9pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 10pm, Sun 11am – 8pm.
Address: 445 Gold St Brooklyn, NY 11201
Contact: (718) 861-0100 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Finback Brewery
Bearing its original taproom in Queens, Finback has branched out to many locations around the state, including in Brooklyn. Its location in Brooklyn is located on President Street, boasting a casual taproom with a mezzanine and a long bar.
If you enjoy watching dance performances, you might want to visit Finback. Local dance performers can be seen showcasing their moves to liven up the taproom. Art Shows are also up in the location once in a while, displaying varying local talents. Moreover, if you love music, you might as well participate in Finback Brooklyn’s charity concerts to help raise funds for organizations like Brooklyn Music School.
- Crowd Favorite: IPA. Bitter, dank, and hoppy American IPA with 7.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Rolling in Clouds
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly. Sells merchandise.
- Fun Fact: The brewery established Brooklyn Studio, a collaborative space for local coffee, spirit, and food vendors.
Hours: Open Mon & Tue 2pm-10pm, Wed & Thur 12pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-8pm
Address: 545 President St, Brooklyn, NY 11215
Contact: (347)227-8008 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Five Boroughs Brewing Co.
Located in Sunset Park, Five Boroughs delivers nothing but the highest quality beers. You can enjoy a wide array of draft beers and seasonal brews on tap. You can also order a flight of five for sampling. And to give you a wider choice, wines, ciders, and non-alcoholic options are also up on the menu.
Five Boroughs is a finder of adventure as well. It hosts a Summer Party wherein beers and food are free, along with many fun activities like a comedy show, photoshoot, and free dog goodies from sponsors.
- Crowd Favorite: Tiny Juicy IPA. A fruity and piney light beer with 4.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Gridlock Hazy IPA
- Hop-py Note: Family and kid-friendly. Trivia Nights.
- Fun Fact: Tiny Juicy IPA won a bronze medal in the World Beer Cup under the Session IPA Category.
Hours: Open Thur & Fri 4pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon-Wed Closed
Address: 215 47th St, Brooklyn, NY 11220
Contact: (718)355-8575 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
7. Kings County Brewers Collective
KCBC features a 15 BBL production brewery, an inviting taproom, and a wide outdoor patio that is always up to host an event or party. Moreover, the establishment highlights a large selection of IPAs, Imperial stouts, and pilsners, together with rose wine, cider, and whiskey. You will surely enjoy them better when paired up with taproom snacks like salsa & chips and dried beef.
If you’re outside Brooklyn, KCBC got your back as it ships beer to Washington, DC, and New York State. Too bad, though, that you won’t have the chance to get to sip KCBC’s flight of four 5 oz to have a sampling before buying larger ounces.
- Crowd Favorite: Superhero Sidekicks. A citrusy, piney, and fruity American IPA with 6.9% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Dangerous Precedent
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly. Trivia Nights. Offers takeout and delivery.
- Fun Fact: KCBC is the first brewery to operate in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 4pm-11pm, Fri 3pm-12am, Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-10pm
Address: 381 Troutman St, Brooklyn, NY 11237
Contact: (929)409-5040 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
8. Circa Brewing Co.
If you want to support a sustainability-focused and community-concerned brewery, Circa is the best pick for you. Circa Brewing opened its doors in 2017, and since then, it has used all the manners to lower its carbon footprint. Also, it only sources its fresh ingredients in New York and the East Coast and works only with local artists for its cans.
Circa is a 6,000 sq. ft. restaurant brewery featuring a 7-barrel brewhouse, scratch kitchen, and a full craft cocktail bar. It sits in the heart of Downtown Brooklyn, so you better take advantage of its accessibility. Make sure to grab a pint of its numerous unique-tasting beers on tap together with a flavor-packed menu.
- Crowd Favorite: Rotator IPA. An American IPA with 6.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Pilsner
- Hop-py Note: Karaoke and trivia nights. Indoor and outdoor seating.
- Fun Fact: In 2020, Circa was voted as a Favorite Brewery in New York City.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 4pm-11pm, Sat & Sun 11am-11pm
Address: 141 Lawrence St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Contact: (718)858-0055 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
9. Randolph Beer
Having two locations in Brooklyn, Randolph has caught the tickle of locals and tourists alike by serving the best premium beers matched up with mouth-watering food. It offers brunch and dinner, serving wholesome meals like barbeque chicken pizza, fish tacos, and crispy chicken sandwiches. Vegan foods are also available. Moreover, if you’re not in the mood for beer, you can choose between its cocktails and wines.
If you love heights and views, Randolph’s Dumbo location has the best rooftop taproom in the city. Enjoy sipping your beers in the sight of tall buildings and the sky above or the busy city below. It also offers a feather bowling inside for you to kill some time.
- Crowd Favorite: Orange You Lovely. A hazy New England IPA with 6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Side Hustle
- Hop-py Note: Brewery tours. Live DJ. Offers takeout.
Hours: Open Tue & Wed 12pm-11pm, Thur 12pm-12am, Fri 12pm-1am, Sat 11am-1am, Sun 11am-8pm, Mon Closed
Address: 82 Prospect St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Contact: (347)280-3071 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
10. Wild East Brewing Co.
Located on Sackett Street, Wild East not only crafts delicious beers but also imparts knowledge about them. It hosts Beer School in its taproom led by its resident “brewfessor,” Maria. And every Saturday, Wild East conducts a brewery tour, showcasing its own brewing processes, followed by a guided tasting of the brewery’s latest beer releases.
Wild East’s taproom features more than 20 beers on draft and a great selection of wines, spirits, and cocktails. And if you feel a bit peckish, you don’t have to worry as the area boasts some of Brooklyn’s top restaurants.
- Crowd Favorite: Patience & Fortitude. A clean, crisp, and refreshing light pilsner with 4.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: No Pretense
- Hop-py Note: Live music. Dog-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Wild East has a barrel cellar called The Cellar, a 600 sq. ft. space that can seat more than 50 people and is open for reservation.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 2pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-9pm
Address: 623 Sackett St, Brooklyn, NY 11217
Contact: (718)797-5135 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
11. Strong Rope Brewery
If great scenery is what you’re in search of, Strong Rope has a surprise for you. It instantly became a people favorite because it serves its beers on its waterfront patio in Red Hook, overlooking the ever-famous Statue of Liberty. Strong Rope currently has two locations in Brooklyn, one on President Street and the other in Red Hook. It also has a seasonal taproom on Blue Mountain Lake.
Besides giving you the best views, Strong Rope is also committed to helping the local farmers. It uses 100% New York-grown crops and ingredients and utilizes them to brew beers ranging from reinterpreted classics to seasonal ones.
- Crowd Favorite: Blood of Gods. An American red ale with 6.1% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Seeds of Love and Outrage
- Hop-py Note: Trivia nights. Live music. Family and dog-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Strong Rope opened in December 2015 in its original location on President Street.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 2pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-9pm
Address: 574 President St, Brooklyn, NY 11215
Contact: (929)337-8699 | Facebook | Instagram | Website