Grand Rapids, Michigan, is famous for its nickname “Beer City USA,” and this is for an excellent reason. Despite the city’s population of only around 200,000, Grand Rapids is home to more than 80 breweries, all of which have their own specialty drinks and unique food options.
Being one of the few famous cities known for its craft beer scene, it is safe to say that Grand Rapids is the holy grail for beer enthusiasts and a must-visit place if you want to appease your beer cravings. For your convenience, we have done the hard labor and made a list of the best craft breweries in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
1. Founders Brewing Co.
On top of the list is Founders Brewing Company, the largest brewery in the entire Michigan state. Apart from its best-selling canned craft beer, FBC is known for being a beer staple in the Grand Rapids community and a must-visit destination for travelers and craft beer enthusiasts.
Besides its taproom in Detroit, FBC has an elegantly designed taproom in Grand Rapids. It has an overlooking view of its classic brewhouse that gives customers a bird’s eye view of everything happening behind the grand scene. The taproom is modeled after a German beer hall with a distinguished classy and casual vibe and a very laid-back atmosphere. It comes with a spacious urban-style beer garden and a “Centennial Room” that you can rent out for events, gatherings, and other special occasions.
- Crowd Favorite: All Day IPA. An American IPA with 4.7% ABV, naturally brewed with a wide array of grains, malts, and hops. Skillfully balanced for optimal aromatics and a great clean finish.
- Highly Recommended: Breakfast Stout
- Hop-py Note: Accepts takeout and delivery orders. Offers various vegan options. TV. Covered outdoor seating. Bicycle parking. Wheelchair accessible. Free WiFi. Offers catering services. Ample parking spaces. Compostable containers are available. Serves lunch and dinner.
Hours: Open Sun – Wed 11am – 9pm, Thur – Sat 11am – 11pm.
Address: 235 Cesar E. Chavez Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Contact: (616)776-1195 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. The Mitten Brewing Company
The Mitten Brewing Co. was founded in 2012 by good childhood friends with the same interest in pizza, beer, and the professional baseball team, Detroit Tigers. This explains the baseball-theme microbrewery notoriously known for its exceptional beers and hand-tossed artisan pizzas.
Its taproom in Grand Rapids is one of three taprooms they operate. The GR taproom is located in the historically significant Engine House No. 9, known for its vintage interior and a wide selection of taps all year round. The founders of Mitten Brewing sought to build a community with their craft brewery where sports enthusiasts are always welcome.
- Crowd Favorite: Country Strong IPA. A golden and crisp American IPA with 7.2% ABV packed with bold hop flavors that linger on your tongue as you drink.
- Highly Recommended: Peanuts And Crackerjack
- Hop-py Note: Accepts takeout orders. Serves lunch and dinner. Offers vegetarian choices. Street parking and private lot parking. TV. Free WiFi. Gender-neutral restrooms. Dog-friendly. Outdoor seating. Good for kids. Drive-thru service available. Bicycle parking. Provides reusable tableware.
- Fun fact: The Mitten Brewing Company was recognized as “Young Entrepreneurs of the Year” in 2015 by The Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce Arvon Brewing Co.
Hours: Open Mon 11:30am – 9pm, Thur – Sat 11:30am – 10pm, Sun 11:30am – 9pm, Tues & Wed Closed.
Address: 527 Leonard St NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Contact: (616)608-5612 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Arvon Brewing Co.
Arvon Brewing Co. is a well-known craft brewery in Grand Rapids for its New England-style IPAs and a wide variety of lagers, kettle sours, West Coast IPAs, and seltzer. Though it has limited reach, ABC never fails to satisfy its customers’ beer cravings.
Its taproom has a clean industrial interior with high ceilings and natural lighting. At the same time, it has a spacious beer garden with picnic tables that is perfect for groups. Although Arvon Brewing doesn’t have a kitchen, food is never a problem. You can always bring your own or get something to eat from the food trucks available right outside the taproom.
- Crowd Favorite: Jurassic Haze. A New England hazy IPA is hopped with Citra, El Dorado, and Vic Secret. 7.3% ABV with balanced bitterness and hints of tropical fruits and citrus.
- Highly Recommended: Voyager
- Hop-py Note: Accepts takeout and delivery orders. Private lot parking spaces. Curbside pick-up. Food trucks are available. Outside seating.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 4pm – 9pm, Fri 3pm – 10pm, Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 1pm – 6pm, Mon & Tues Closed.
Address: 1006 Division Ave S, Grand Rapids, MI 49507
Contact: (616)340-9372 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. New Holland Brewing
New Holland Brewing was established in 1997, and since its founding, it has garnered distinguished awards alongside winning the hearts of the people in Grand Rapids and has become a must-go place for gatherings and great brews.
Its Grand Rapids brewpub can accommodate up to 600 beer enthusiasts, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Aside from fresh craft beers, it also serves award-winning spirits and mindfully sourced brewhouse fare. If you want to experience authentic Grand Rapids brewery tours, try asking the employees about it while you enjoy your pint of beer.
- Crowd Favorite: Dragon’s Milk. A finely crafted barrel-aged Imperial Stout loaded with distinct notes of chocolate and coffee intertwined with oak and vanilla undertones. 11% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: The Poet
- Hop-py Note: Offers pescetarian options. Various vegan choices. Offers catering services. Accepts delivery and takeout order. Street parking. Child-friendly. Wheelchair accessible. Free WiFi. Bicycle parking. Compostable containers are available.
Hours: Open Tues 4pm – 10pm, Wed 4pm – 11pm, Thur 4pm – 10pm, Fri 4pm – 11pm, Sat 2pm – 11pm, Sun 2pm – 9pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 417 Bridge St NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Contact: (616)345-5642 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. City Built Brewing Company
The City Built Brewing is a local go-to, and this is for a very good reason. Among all others, City Built has a uniquely extensive menu for beers, from house favorites to non-alcoholic beverages. Its taproom has a lively and casual vibe accentuating the simple yet elegant interior design. CBBC also goes above and beyond with its Welcome Center tent and the social zone right across the street.
Besides its unique beers and good grubs, CBBC also worked hard to cultivate a welcoming pool of staff and an environment where everyone can feel it is their home away from home.
- Crowd Favorite: Cascading Into Darkness. A unique Cascadian dark ale with 7.4% ABV packed with Centennial and Cascade hops for citrus and floral notes with medium roast hints.
- Highly Recommended: Melisandre
- Hop-py Note: Many vegan options. Accepts takeout orders. TV. Outdoor seating. Street parking and private lot parking. Child-friendly. Serves lunch and dinner. Bicycle parking. Offers catering services.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 3pm – 10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 6pm.
Address: 820 Monroe Ave NW #155, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Contact: (616)805-8755 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Greyline Brewing Co.
Greyline Brewing Company is a short drive from downtown, and people sometimes refer to it as the hidden gem of Grand Rapids. Founded in 2014, Greyline Brewing remains as simple as it can be.
GBC takes pride in its 7-barrel brewery, which is enough considering that this company is not planning to go national. Its taproom has around 80 seats, both indoor and outdoor. From the outside, the establishment is a plain grey building, which is actually an understatement for the stylish yet casual interior, from the wooden accent walls to its industrial ceiling.
- Crowd Favorite: Mosacca. A fresh and outstanding American IPA with a dark honeyed amber color packed with tropical and citrus aromas, brewed with 7.4% ABV and a perfectly clean finish.
- Highly Recommended: Kona Brown
- Hop-py Note: Accepts takeout orders. Street parking and private lot parking. Good for children. Gender-neutral bathrooms. Offers plenty of vegetarian options. Bicycle parking. Outdoor seating.
- Fun fact: Greyline Brewery has the smallest footprints in all of Michigan breweries having only 340 square feet of their brewing facility.
Hours: Open Mon – Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm.
Address: 1727 Alpine Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504
7. Brass Ring Brewing
Brass Ring Brewing first opened its doors to the public in 2018. Since then, it has grown its popularity by providing authentic listings of English-style pub ales and its all-natural beers made of four simple ingredients: hops, yeast, malted barley, and water.
Its taproom is a 10-minute drive from downtown Grand Rapids and has a casual atmosphere with ample indoor and outdoor seating. Food would not be a problem because aside from the great brews, its kitchen offers a menu of British-inspired pub grubs from soft pretzels with cheese to a ploughman’s plate that you will surely enjoy.
- Crowd Favorite: The Wayfarer. Herbal American IPA with 7.3% ABV generously hopped with Mosaic and New Zealand Pacific Jade with pale base malt.
- Highly Recommended: Eight-pound Hammer
- Hop-py Note: Private lot parking. Gender-neutral restrooms. Accepts takeout orders. Offers catering services. Wheelchair accessible. Child-friendly. Plenty of vegetarian options. Bicycle parking. Outdoor seating. Accepts reservations. Serves lunch and dinner.
- Fun fact: Brass Ring Brewing ensures the quality of its casks with its Cask Marque certification.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 4pm – 10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 11pm, Sun 10am – 8pm.
Address: 2404 Eastern Ave SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49507
Contact: (616)644-3451 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
8. Thornapple Brewing Co.
Established in 2017, the Thornapple Brewing Company has become the community’s local spot known for serving original tasting craft beers, wines, ciders, and spirits crafted by internationally acclaimed local brewers, Jeff and Eric.
The founders of TBC practice their craftsmanship in a 3,300-square-foot space in Michigan with a seven-barrel brewing system, and its taproom is the outward expression of their passion and love for brewing. People love the modern interior, but the things that keep them coming back for more are the plentiful food options and the unique brews fresh from the tap.
- Crowd Favorite: Thunder Cloud Ride. An Imperial double IPA with 10% ABV packed with faint aromas of malt, vanilla, muddled hops, and bread.
- Highly Recommended: Salted Caramel Brown
- Hop-py Note: Private lot parking. Dogs are allowed. Covered outdoor seating. Gender-neutral bathrooms. Accepts takeout and delivery orders. Bicycle parking. Free WiFi. Child-friendly. Wheelchair accessible.
- Fun fact: The Thornapple Brewing Company is the first brewpub in Cascade Township, around 13 miles from the heart of Grand Rapids.
Hours: Open Mon 11:30am – 9pm, Tues – Thur 11:30am – 10pm, Fri & Sat 11:30am – 11pm, Sun 11:30am – 8pm.
Address: 6262 28th St SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Contact: (616)288-6907 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
9. Broad Leaf Brewery & Spirits
Broad Leaf Brewery & Spirits is all about sustainability and putting great value towards that local community as much as it gives extensive efforts to give the customers the quality brews that the regulars seek.
Compared to other new breweries in Grand Rapids, Broad Leaf Brewery is located in the neighborhood rather than in the city’s commercial district. It has turned a dilapidated building into a brewpub with a trendy and casual vibe while using contemporary accents that brought the building back to life. Beyond beers, Broad Leaf has become integral to the locals’ everyday life.
- Crowd Favorite: Chromatic Shatter. A pleasant New England Hazy Pale Ale with 6% ABV with distinct flavors of tangerine, peach, and mango, packed with sweaty undertones with every sip.
- Highly Recommended: Sour Lake
- Hop-py Note: Outdoor seating. Free WiFi. TV. Dogs are allowed. Covered patio. Wheelchair accessible. Private lot parking. Bicycle parking. Designated smoking area.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 3pm – 10pm, Fri – Sun 12pm – 10pm.
Address: 2885 Lake Eastbrook Blvd SE, Kentwood, MI 49512
Contact: (616)803-0602 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
10. Grand Rapids Brewing Company
Today’s Grand Rapids Brewing Company is a revival of the historic brand that was started by six local breweries in 1893 who joined forces and paved the way for one of the Midwest’s largest and most monumental breweries.
Its brewpub is located right in the heart of downtown, six blocks away from where it all began. It continued the GRBC legacy by retaining the same beer recipes they had before while incorporating a contemporary vibe to the interior. Its new place also has a game room where you can play different arcade games, bubble hockey, and basketball, among others.
- Crowd Favorite: The Fishladder. A medium-bodied American IPA with 7% ABV packed with flavors and aroma of citrus, pungent pine, and pineapple merged with notes of toffee and caramel.
- Highly Recommended: Rosalynn Bliss Blonde
- Hop-py Note: Accepts takeout orders. Covered patio. Garage parking and street parking. Outdoor seating.
Hours: Open Mon 4pm – 11pm, Wed & Thur 4pm – 11pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 12am, Sun 11am – 9pm, Tues Closed.
Address: 1 Ionia Ave SW Ste 100, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Contact: (616)458-7000 | Instagram | Website
11. Creston Brewery
Creston Brewery is a local favorite for its antiquated vibe and wide beer selections with unique tastes and aromas that will suit your preferences. Its taproom has large windows with spacious indoor seating that oozes an old-fashioned atmosphere with the vintage pillars, tin ceiling, and bar area.
Besides the eclectic vibe and great beer selections, CB also offers Latin American cuisine and South American-inspired dishes that will satisfy your cravings.
- Crowd Favorite: Bokonon. A New England hazy IPA with 7% ABV, double dry hopped with Amarillo, Mosaic, Simcoe, and Chinook, packed with citrus and piney flavor.
- Highly Recommended: GRale
- Hop-py Note: Offers Pescetarian options. Accepts takeout orders. Great for children. Street parking and private lot parking. Wheelchair accessible. Bicycle parking.
Hours: Open Mon – Fri 3pm – 10pm, Sat 11am – 10pm, Sun 11am – 8pm.
Address: 1504 Plainfield Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49505
Contact: (616)805-4161 | Facebook | Instagram | Website