Table of Contents
You might know Cleveland as home to the famous basketball team, Cleveland Cavaliers, but Cleveland is a melting pot for unique beer experience and social expertise. The city’s beer scene is just as rich as its culture, and Cleveland has been home to many award-winning breweries serving delicious craft beers all over the United States.
If you are a beer enthusiast visiting Cleveland to discover what it offers, here is a list of 15 outstanding breweries in the city you should try. Go on and discover which among them is the best of the best!
1. Southern Tier Brewing Company
Operating as one of New York’s top breweries, Southern Tier has made its way to Ohio and four other United States locations. Southern Tier’s Cleveland taproom features a rotating tap list of 30 original brews. And as a way of crafting a delicious craft beer that is perfect for the Cleveland folks, the place has its own brewing facility to brew beers using fresh local ingredients.
Furthermore, the taproom also features Souther Tier’s spirits and wines for non-beer visitors, as well as coffee, iced tea, and soft drinks for non-alcoholic options. The taproom also has an in-house kitchen serving a wide variety of mouth-watering food menus.
- Crowd Favorite: Pumking. A flavorful and mild spicy pumpkin beer with 8.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: 2XIPA
- Hop-py Note: Offers growlers, cans, and bottles. Sells merchandise.
- Fun Fact: Southern Tier distributes its beers to over thirty states in the U.S.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 11am-10pm, Fri & Sat 11am-12am
2. Platform Beer Co.
Since opening its doors in 2014, Platform Beer has welcomed its customers in an inviting, cozy-lighted taproom. It has an indoor area that can accommodate more than 100 guests and has a lovely patio that is always open during good weather.
Platform Beer also serves giant bavarian pretzels, roasted cauliflower florets, and more, so you can have something to nibble while drinking. And if you are the type of drinker having a hard time choosing what beer will match your food, worry no more, as its menu has a beer suggestion for a wonderful beer and meal combo. To further enjoy your experience, visit the brewery on days with local artists and live bands.
- Crowd Favorite: Haze Jude. A citrusy, pineapple-flavored New England IPA with 6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Speed Merchant
- Hop-py Note: Trivia night. Sells merchandise. Weekly events.
- Fun Fact: It has a Non-Profit Tuesday wherein it will donate every $1 beer it sells to a local organization.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 3pm-11pm, Fri 3pm-12am, Sat 11am-12am, Sun 11am-10pm
Address: 4125 Lorain Ave, Cleveland, OH 44113
3. Great Lakes Brewing Company
Operating as one of the most popular breweries in Cleveland, Great Lakes brings smiles through its delicious award-winning craft beers to locals and tourists alike. Great Lakes, founded by brothers Patrick and Daniel Conway, has been actively serving the Ohio City neighborhood since 1988.
Presently, Great Lakes’ taproom features a cozy beer cellar and an in-house kitchen that serves food using only fresh and locally sourced ingredients. Moreover, Great Lakes offers public and private brewery tours where you can taste its freshly brewed beers and take a look at its brewing facility.
- Crowd Favorite: Christmas Ale. A winter ale with flavors of honey, cinnamon, and ginger containing 7.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Edmund Fitzgerald
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly patio. Family-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Great Lakes has a teaching program called Hop College. You can register to learn about brewing and get a special Hop College branded glass once you complete the program.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 12pm-10pm, Fri 12pm-11pm, Sat 11:30am-11pm, Sun 11am-4pm
Address: 2516 Market Ave, Cleveland, OH 44113
4. Saucy Brew Works
Since 2017, Saucy Brew Works has been serving its guests as a brewery and a full-service restaurant. In terms of brewing, Saucy Brew Works is an award-winning establishment outranking numerous breweries and earning Best Brewery awards yearly. Moreover, it is also known for its award-winning pizzas, tagged as the Best Pizza in Cleveland from 2019 to 2021
Saucy Brew Works has four locations in Ohio, and one is in Miami. Its Cleveland location has a spacious taproom that can accommodate up to 250 guests and has a comfortable all-weather patio that is always ready to serve you.
- Crowd Favorite: Love You, Bye. A sweet IPA with melon, pineapple, and mango flavors containing 8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: IPA ASAP
- Hop-py Note: Open for reservation. Sells merchandise. Gift cards.
- Fun Fact: Saucy Brew Works earned the Outstanding Small Business Award in 2021.
Hours: Open Sun-Wed 11am-10pm, Thur-Sat 11am-12am
5. Masthead Brewing Co.
Masthead Brewing’s original building, known as the historic Bryant Building, was built in 1921 and used to be a car dealership. The brewery is best known for its Midwest Red IPA, which won a gold medal in the 2018 Great American Beer Festival.
In terms of its establishment, Masthead features an inviting and spacious taproom accommodating 300 people. Moreover, the indoor area has a nice bar that can seat up to 100 guests. The place also has a patio where you can enjoy the warm sun rays and have a clear view of downtown Cleveland during good weather.
- Crowd Favorite: IPA. A smooth beer enriched with citrus and tropical fruits containing 6.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Single Origin Coffee Stout
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly patio. Sells merchandise. Gift cards.
- Fun Fact: Masthead’s building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 11:30am-10pm, Fri & Sat 11:30am-11pm, Sun 9:30am-8pm, Mon Closed
6. Noble Beast Brewing Co.
Noble Beast is a family-owned brewery run by couple Shaun and JoLyn. Shaun serves as the head brewer of the brewery, and JoLyn handles the accounting, marketing, and operating sector of the business. Moreover, Noble Beast also partnered with skilled and passionate chef James, who is in charge of the brewery’s in-house kitchen, serving farm-fresh and seasonal gourmet menus.
Noble Beast Brewing has a large taproom with high ceilings and large windows, giving the place natural lighting. You can find the taproom showing off an industrial vibe with its brick walls, barrel display, industrial lights, and a small square glass ceiling hanging ornamented with plants.
- Crowd Favorite: Evil Motives IPA. A clean-finished American IPA with 7.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Kapitän Alt Bier
- Hop-py Note: Sells merchandise. Gift cards. Street parking.
- Fun Fact: Awarded as Best Brewery in the Best of Cleveland 2022.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 11:30am-11pm, Fri & Sat 11:30am-12am, Sun 11:30am-10pm, Mon Closed
7. BrewDog Cleveland Outpost
BrewDog, one of Scotland’s biggest breweries, has branched out to Cleveland with its bar known as BrewDog Outpost. Luckily for the locals, BrewDog offers its best-selling beers in the Outpost and other top local brews, making up the 28 beers on tap. BrewDog also brews small batches of beers on-site so you can enjoy a freshly brewed glass of delicious beer.
The BrewDog Outpost has a spacious, well-lighted taproom with a rustic ambiance. And it also has a patio with a great river view for outside seating where you can enjoy outdoor games and fire pits at night while drinking.
- Crowd Favorite: Punk IPA. A light beer exploding with caramel and tropical fruit flavors containing 5.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Elvis Juice
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly. Gift Cards. Sells Merchandise. Kid-friendly.
- Fun Fact: BrewDog has multiple locations all over 15 different countries.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 11am-11pm, Fri & Sat 11am-12am, Sun 11am-10pm
Address: 1956 Carter Rd, Cleveland, OH 44113
8. Collision Bend Brewing Company
Collision Bend made an oath to be a place where amazingly brewed beer and food will collide. To fulfill this, with its delicious craft beers, it serves a wide variety of delicious dishes like wood-fired pizza and many vegan and vegetarian food items.
Collision Bend boasts a romantic location as it is located in Old River, enjoying the pleasure of the river’s great scenery. Its taproom, which has a capacity of 200 guests, has a nearly floor-to-ceiling window for guests to enjoy the nice view. And as if the beauty of the scene inside is still not enough, its outdoor patio is just as amazing, with a great view of cotton candy skies during a good day.
- Crowd Favorite: Lake Erie Sunset. An American pale wheat with 5.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Crown
- Hop-py Note: Live music. Tailgate party. Offers flights. Live entertainments.
- Fun Fact: Collision Bend got its name from the narrow and crooked passage in the Cuyahoga River.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 11:30am-9pm, Fri & Sat 11:30am-11pm, Sun 11:30am-5pm
9. Market Garden Brewery
Market Garden has been in the brewing business since 2011 and actively serves the Ohio City neighborhood. It has two locations in Cleveland; a brewery & restaurant serving its award-winning beers and a 35,000-square-foot production facility with a 35-barrel system.
Market Garden offers guided tours every Saturday of its exceptional brewing facility and a sampling of its best-selling beers. For its brewery and restaurant, the place is very spacious and has three functioning bars. It also has multiple outdoor seating, comfortably accommodating large groups and private events.
- Crowd Favorite: Citramax IPA. An intense tropical fruit-scented American IPA with 7.4% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Prosperity Wheat
- Hop-py Note: Live music. Gift cards. Yoga weekend. Kid-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Market Garden was awarded Best Draught Selection in Best of Cleveland 2022.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 11am-12am, Sun 11am-10pm, Mon Closed
Address: 1947 W 25th St, Cleveland, OH 44113
10. Terrestrial Brewing Company
Located in the Battery Park neighborhood, Terrestrial Brewing is a brewery designed to deliver handcraft brews to the locals while also giving back to the community. Terrestrial is active in donating and raising funds for dog-focused organizations and other non-profit organizations that help preserve the state’s wildlife.
Terrestrial Brewing is a 100% dog-friendly brewery that allows your four-legged friends inside and outside the taproom. It also has a dog park where your doggos can play and meet new friends. Moreover, Terrestrial Brewing also has a Doggie Brunch event every Sunday, so your furry friends can also eat delicious treats while you drink.
- Crowd Favorite: Canopy Crusher. A juicy and hazy American IPA with 6.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Public Pilsner
- Hop-py Note: Local pop-up vendors. Live music. Vegetarian options.
- Fun Fact: Terrestrial Brewing has a dog gallery on its website where you can find photos of the lovely dogs that visited the brewery.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 4pm-11pm, Fri 4pm-12am, Sat 10am-12am, Sun 10am-9pm
11. Bookhouse Brewing
Bookhouse Brewing is a microbrewery in Cleveland housed in a historic 156 years old building that used to be known as Jacob Baehr Brewery. Although it is an old building that was nearly demolished, it was renovated in 2014,. Bookhouse fortunately, got to operate in this precious place.
Today, Bookhouse is a humble brewery in the heart of the city with a great industrial taproom. Bookhouse also managed to preserve the building’s original brick wall, which contributed well to the vintage look of the taproom. Additionally, Bookhouse has an outdoor patio with planted hops its leaves hanging on the fences.
- Crowd Favorite: Celestial Map. A pine, citrus, and herb-scented American IPA with 7.3% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Whoops! Juicy IPA
- Hop-py Note: Open for rentals. Street parking. Sells merchandise.
- Fun Fact: Before getting renovated, Jacob Baehr Brewery’s building was first housed by a metalworks business, Reister and Thesmacher Company.
Hours: Open Tue – Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 3pm-11pm, Sat 1pm-11pm, Sun 1pm-7pm, Mon Closed
Address: 1526 W 25th St, Cleveland, OH 44113
12. Forest City Brewery
True to its name, Forest City gives off a deep-in-the-forest vibe. It has a vintage-looking beer hall with a small bar featuring its in-house beverages. Moreover, the place has a spacious rental hall called Waldorf Hall, where you can host your gatherings, such as birthday parties, meetings, and weddings.
Forest City’s beer garden is surely the highlight of this brewery as it has the tallest Red Mulberry tree in Ohio and over an old giant sycamore tree. The beer garden also holds live music every Sunday and some bingo nights, as well as happy hour music for a better drinking experience.
- Crowd Favorite: Opening Day IPA. A hoppy American IPA with 6.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Black Betsy IPA
- Hop-py Note: Trivia Night. Music Bingo. Dog-friendly. Offers flight.
- Fun Fact: Forest City’s beer garden has earned a spot in the Top Outdoor Spaces in Cleveland by News Channel 5.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 4pm-11pm, Fri 4pm-12am, Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon Closed
13. Hansa Brewery & Restaurant
If you love German-style beers, then visit Hansa Brewery, a 15-barrel brewery and restaurant in the Ohio City neighborhood. It is owned by Boris, an entrepreneur that owns Hansa Import Haus and Hansa Travel Service.
Hansa’s facility has lots of indoor and outdoor seating, making it great for large gatherings. It has a small bar featuring its in-house brewed beers and a wide selection of wines. Moreover, the restaurant offers a full menu from starters to entrees and finishes it off with delectable desserts. You can also grab vegetarian fare like the house salad and vegetable risotto.
- Crowd Favorite: Black Flag Schwarzbier. A smokey and smooth Schwarzbier with 4.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: FemDom Kölsch
- Hop-py Note: Covered outdoor seating. Occasional events. Offers flights.
- Fun Fact: Boris Music and his partners spent $3 million on planning and building Hansa Brewery & Restaurant.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 12pm-8pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-9pm, Sun 12pm-3pm, Mon & Tue Closed
Address: 2717 Lorain Ave, Cleveland, OH 44113
14. Goldhorn Brewery
Goldhorn began its operations in July 2016 as a brewery that unites the community together through great craft beer and heartfelt food. It created a welcoming environment where delicious beer and good people meet.
Goldhorn’s taproom serves at least eight beers available on draft and a vast food menu as well as a kid’s menu for the young ones. You can also find vegetarian options on the menu and a few beers in cans for takeout orders. The brewery also features a private event space, so you have a room you can book to hold your special event and gatherings.
- Crowd Favorite: Dead Man’s Curve. A strong American IPA with 8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Polka City
- Hop-py Note: Sells merchandise. Dog-friendly patio.
- Fun Fact: Goldhorn is a mountain goat famous in Slovenian folklore.
Hours: Open Thur 3pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon-Wed Closed
Address: 1361 E 55th St, Cleveland, OH 44103
15. Working Class Brewery
Working Class Brewery is a hidden gem in the Kamm’s Corners area, where its dedication to serving delicious craft beer to hard-working people is really admirable. The brewery is owned by Richard Skains, an award-winning brewer in Cleveland with a long solid experience in the industry.
Working Class Brewery’s taproom features five flagship beers and several seasonal and experimental brews on tap. You can also nibble on some snacks in-house while savoring tasty brews from Working Class. Moreover, you can find its beers in many retail shops in the city, so grab a can when you find one.
- Crowd Favorite: Clock Out. A peanut butter chocolate stout with 6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Aviator IPA
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly. Live music. Sells merchandise. Happy hour specials.
- Fun Fact: Richard Skains has been voted one of the 2017’s Most Interesting People by Cleveland Magazine.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 4pm-11pm, Sat 1pm-11pm, Sun 12:30pm-8pm, Mon Closed