Table of Contents
The brewing era in St. Louis is almost as old as the founding of its city. The first documented brewery was dated back to the early 1800s serving only classic and standard American beers. A few decades later, newcomers specializing in European-style beers invaded the town with their signature beers, making them a staple in the beer scene of St. Louis.
Today, St. Louis has a wide variety of breweries showcasing different and out-of-the-box brews from American to German-style ales. There’s a lot more St. Louis has to offer. So buckle up as we take you to 13 of the best breweries you can find in the city.
1. 4 Hands Brewing Company
4 Hands Brewing is a favorite in the St. Louis LaSalle Park neighborhood. The brewery has a two-story building, with each floor serving a variety of beers on tap. There, you can find a selection of year-round, seasonal, and limited brews available on draft and some hard seltzers, cocktails, and spirits for non-beer fans.
4 Hands Brewing has great structural features, an indoor seating option, and easy free parking. The second floor also boasts fun arcade games that you can play while enjoying unique crafts from 4 hands. Moreover, you can order food from its partner food provider, Peacemaker Kitchen.
- Crowd Favorite: Chocolate Milk Stout. A smooth and creamy stout with 5.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Incarnation IPA
- Hop–py note: Private event rentals. Sells apparel and glassware. Comedy nights.
- Fun fact: 4 Hands Brewing has a massive 20,000-square-foot brewing facility and two tasting rooms.
Hours: Open Mon–Thur 12pm–10pm, Fri 12pm–11pm, Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 12pm–8pm
Address: 1220 S 8th St, St. Louis, MO 63104
Starting in the 1850s, St. Louis has been the headquarters of Anheuser-Busch and the home of Budweiser. Since then, Anheuser-Busch has been crafting award-winning brews and continuously earns awards and recognition from regional to international beer competitions.
Today, Anheuser-Busch boasts one of the finest and grand beer facilities in St. Louis with its sophisticated interior design and huge chandeliers. The brewery also offers public and private tours for locals and tourists alike since the 1890s. Moreover, there are 11 more branches of Anheuser-Busch around the U.S.A. From Texas to California to New York and more.
- Crowds Favorite: Budweiser. A crisp and flavorful American-style lager with 5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Michelob ULTRA
- Hop-py note: Massive space. Offers donations and support to countless organizations.
- Fun fact: Anheuser-Busch is famous for their Budweiser Clydesdales, a group of Clydesdales horses the brewery uses for their promotions and commercials.
Hours: Open Daily 11am-6pm
Address: 1200 Lynch St, St. Louis, MO 63118
3. Perennial Artisan Ales
If you love adventure, especially when it comes to craft beers, Perennial Artisan Ales will surely entertain you. This microbrewery loves experimenting with flavors they can blend for every batch they craft, creating out-of-the-box brews. The brewers use traditional brewing methods to create premium, handcrafted brews that are drinkable for everyone.
Perennial’s tasting room is a terrific place to grab seasonal or limited beers, but if you want a tried-and-true brew, choose its year-round favorites. It also has an in-house kitchen run by Chef Andrew Cisneros of Brasas, serving top-of-the-notch dishes and classic yet innovative pub fares.
- Crowd Favorite: Abraxas. A flavorful, strong, yet smooth Imperial stout with 11.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Sump Coffee Stout
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly patio. Private event rentals. Bike and street parking.
- Fun fact: Perennial has a game room that features a variety of arcade games like Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man.
Hours: Open Wed–Fri 4pm–10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm–6pm, Mon & Tue Closed
4. Schlafly – The Saint Louis Brewery
Schlafly is a regional brewery known as the Saint Louis Brewery that serves one of the best beers in the state of Missouri. It is also a historic brewery that is among the earliest to operate in St. Louis and has four active tap rooms and bottle shops.
Schlafly’s Tap Room Brewpub was established in 1991, serving as a casual-style brewpub that offers various flagship beers and tasty fares. The taproom is housed in a 100-year-old building used in the 1900s by the Swift Printing Company. Today, it is an active brewpub serving fantastic local brews. Generally, it offers private brewery tours but is postponed due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Crowd Favorite: Pumpkin Ale. A bold and flavorful pumpkin ale with 8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)
- Hop-py note: Indoor and outdoor seating. Street and bike parking. Free Wi-Fi.
- Fun fact: 100% renewable energy drives the entire operation of Schlafly’s brewery.
Hours: Open Mon–Thur 11am–9pm, Fri & Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 12pm–9pm
Address: 2100 Locust St, St. Louis, MO 63103
5. Urban Chestnut Brewing Company
Traditional brewing meets innovative minds in this St. Louis original brewery, Urban Chestnut Brewing. This brewery has a rich history with its significant contribution to paving the way for the craft beer movement in St. Louis. Moreover, its European lagers and ales are among the beers that made way for modern brewing to be significant and widely used in the city.
Today, Urban Chestnut is among the favorites of residents and tourists, with three active locations across the city. Its Grove Bierhal boasts a spacious outdoor area with long communal tables and chairs. This location also features a variety of German brews and offers delicious pizza made in-house by Chef Steven Kelly.
- Crowd Favorite: Zwickel. A smooth and vitamin-rich lager with 5.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Schnickelfritz
- Hop-py note: Indoor and outdoor seating. Offers cans for to-go. Dog-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Urban Chestnut’s Midtown Biergarten has fire pits in its outdoor area, making your stay even cozier.
Hours: Open Tue–Thur 3pm–10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm–7pm, Mon Closed
6. Side Project Brewing
If barrel-aged beer is your thing, then you’ll be great friends with Side Project Brewing. This brewery focuses on crafting premium barrel-aged ales, Saisons, and wild ales. You can visit the taproom to drink a few of its brews on tap or get a bottle of quality ales you want to take with you.
Side Project Brewing features a great casual and inviting area inside their tasting room. Equipped with two televisions, it is the perfect spot for enjoying a great beer alone or with your companions. They also offer a few wines and none alcoholic drinks for the little ones as the tasting room is kid-friendly.
- Crowd Favorite: Merci (Blend #3). A toasty and aromatic wild ale with 6% ABV.
- Highly recommended: Balaton (Blend #2)
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Offers online purchasing and delivery.
- Fun Fact: They have an exclusive invite-only club called “La coterie.”
Hours: Open Fri-Sun 1pm–8pm, Mon 3pm-8pm, Tue-Thur Closed
7. 2nd Shift Brewing
2nd Shift brewing is where good times last as the brewery serves great beers in a comfortable and group-friendly environment. It has a spacious indoor area that plays music at moderate volume, just enough to have an easy conversation. But if you want some fresh air while enjoying a flight, you can choose to sit on its outdoor patio.
2nd Shift Brewing also partners with Bootleggin 3rd Gear, so visitors like you can enjoy delicious pizza and pretzels and the brewery’s extensive selection of beers on draft. Additionally, 2nd Shift offers a pack or an individual can of beer so you can get something to grab when you walk out.
- Crowd Favorite: Art of Neurosis IPA. A piney and juicy American IPA with 7.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Little Big Hop
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Wheelchair accessible. Bike and private lot parking.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 2pm–9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-6pm, Mon Closed
8. Rockwell Beer Company
Rockwell has been in the industry since 2018 and has two active locations, its tasting room in The Grove and its outdoor beer garden in Francis Park. Its brand is widely known in St. Louis, and it is now among the most visited breweries in the city.
Rockwell’s location in The Grove is a 15-barrel brewhouse and tasting room composed of pleasantly bright-colored containers. The interior is matched with wooden ceilings and tables. The place showcases over 12 taps of its flagship and seasonal beers and a selection of seasonal cocktails and wines. They also join hands with brassWELLl by Niche, which offers burgers, beer brats, and crispy-thin cut fries.
- Crowd Favorite: Passing Clouds. A Belgian-style wheat beer with 4.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Byrd Up!
- Hop-py note: Trivia nights. Private event rentals. Gift cards are available.
- Fun fact: Rockwell Beer’s Kazimierz Porter won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival in 2021.
Hours: Open Sun-Wed 11am–10pm, Thur-Sat 11am-12am
9. Earthbound Brewing
Earthbound is a brewery in St. Louis with a medium-sized facility and barrel system, which makes them flexible in crafting small batches of beers. This brewery has a unique interior design; if you look at it outside, you’d think it’s just a plain square building; but inside, it’s lively and has an elegant design. It also has an outdoor patio where you can relax with your furry friend.
Earthbound Brewing offers public tours with a limit of 12 guests for every group. Through this tour, you can see the whole production site and process of Earthbound, and you can also hear facts about the brewery from your tour guide, all while drinking a glass of its beer.
- Crowd favorite: Meteor IPA. A clean and hoppy American IPA with 5.6 % ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Irish Red Ale
- Hop-py note: Kid-friendly. It hosts food trucks and kitchen pop-ups on site.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 4pm–10pm, Fri 4pm-11pm, Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-10pm, Mon Closed
10. Alpha Brewing Company
Alpha Brewing opened its taproom to the public in 2013, where customers enjoy a pub-style food menu, fantastic craft brews, cocktails, and hard seltzers. It is also an excellent place to drink fruited sours while having a quick yet fun chat with the very approachable bartenders.
Alpha Brewing is also active in giving back to the community through donations and hosting fundraising events. Moreover, the place offers membership for their beer club, where members are called Sipsters. Each enjoys special benefits from the brewery.
- Crowds Favorite: Atheist Ale. A hoppy and tropical Belgian style IPA with 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Apocrypha
- Hop-py note: Live music. Dog-friendly. Occasional fun events. Outdoor seating.
- Fun Fact: Alpha Brewing has a brewery cat named Tassie that will greet you with purrs and cuddles.
Hours: Open Daily 2pm-10pm
Address: 4310 Fyler Ave, St. Louis, MO 63116
11. Bluewood Brewing
Bluewood Brewing was founded by Cameron and Grant during their college times and officially opened the brewery with another friend, Jerry, in 2019. Bluewood is in the historic Lemp stables, boasting a place with exposed bricks, rich wood, and some nostalgic relics. The interiors are elegant and cool looking, emitting a relaxed and casual vibe.
Bluewood Brewing’s taproom is home to its 18 house beers available on tap. Its beer selection includes a variety of IPAs, Shandy, and stouts. Moreover, Bluewood partners with Burger 809, responsible for the delectable sides and gourmet sliders you can get whenever you visit the taproom.
- Crowd Favorite: Charlie’s Itch. A crisp and clean heavy-hopped IPA with 8.1% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Café Noir
- Hop-py note: Offers bottles and cans for to-go orders. Dog friendly. Live music.
- Fun Fact: Blue wood Brewing originated from the founder’s college homes. One is the “Ol’ Blue,” and the other is “Plywood.”
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 3pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 11:30am-10pm, Sun 11:30am-8pm, Mon & Tue Closed
12. Heavy Riff Brewing Company
Founded in 2013, Heavy Riff is a music-inspired brewery focusing on crafting experimental beers using the traditional brewing process. The brewery was established by three great friends, Jerid, Rick, and Greg, who have the same love for drinking and brewing outstanding craft beers.
Heavy Riff Brewing is a humble brewery in the Dogtown neighborhood, featuring 25 taps of its signature beers, wines, house-smoked BBQs, and a taproom liven by classic rock music. You can also have non-beer and non-alcoholic beverages if you only come for the tasty briskets.
- Crowd Favorite: Velvet Underbrown. A dark and aromatic brown ale with a smooth mouthfeel and 6.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Love Gun
- Hop-py: Kid-friendly. Dog-friendly. Offers flights.Street and private lot parking.
Hours: Open Mon-Fri 4pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-6pm
13. Well spent brewing Company
Well Spent Brewing, housed in an old theatre, started serving the locals of the Midtown neighborhood in St. Louis. Kyle, a homebrewer and process engineer in the food industry, has a strong passion for brewing, and with his family, he established Well Spent Brewing. He took the time to practice and learn more about brewing before building his brewery to ensure that he delivers the best for beer fans.
Well Spent Brewing’s taproom has a fun and inviting taproom featuring about eight beers on tap and a selection of cans. There is also a spacious courtyard with picnic tables and chairs where you can relax while savoring the immaculate brews of Well Spent.
- Crowd Favorite: On the Bright Side – Boysenberry. A fruity and lightly tart wheat beer with 4% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Keller Pils
- Hoppy note: Kid-friendly. Karaoke and trivia nights every month.
- Fun fact: Well Spent Brewing scored 99 over 100 for its Miter Maraschino in Craft Beer and Brewing in 2020.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 4pm-8pm, Fri 4pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-7pm
Address: 2917 Olive St, St. Louis, MO 63103