Missoula, Montana, offers more than natural beauty and outdoor activities. It also provides beer lovers with a chance to taste award-winning beers and live music concerts.
The city contains more than 10 breweries that have been recognized for their excellence in beer making. Please keep on reading as we’ve put together the nine best breweries in Missoula for your next craft beer destination.
1. Draught Works Brewery
Won as the Best Missoula Brewery for five consecutive years (2018 to 2022), Draught Works offers tasty craft brews and live music. It is located in the historic Northside neighborhood and features a rustic and classic taproom with wooden roof beams, tables, and bar counter, offering a cozy and comfortable indoor seating.
It also has an expansive outdoor patio which is open throughout the year with umbrellas during warm months, and a deck heater during winter. You can choose form its 20 beers on tap along with delicious Belgian pretzels, and some bar snacks! With live music events thrice a week, Draught Works becomes a beer lovers hotspot.
- Crowd Favorite: Scepter IPA, 6.1% ABV. A medium-bodied American IPA with fresh tropical fruit flavors.
- Highly Recommended: Pineapple Express Tropical IPA, 7.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Due to Missoula County Health regulations, pets are not allowed in the taproom.
Hours: Open Mon-Sat 12pm–8pm , Sun 10am–8pm.
Address: 915 Toole Ave, Missoula, MT 59802
2. Kettlehouse Brewing
With 27 years of craft brewing experience, Kettlehouse Brewing is one of Missoula’s beer lovers’ paradise! This brewery has two locations in Missoula which both offer industrial-type cozy taprooms with ample outdoor seating with a view. Featuring a classic brewpub feel, laidback vibe, and friendly staff, this brewery is one of the locals’ favorite place.
They also offers eclectic beer selections where you can find porters, Pilsner, and bitter and bocks on tap on any day. With an outdoor adventure in mind, they added a new location in Bonner, the Kettlehouse Amphitheater, composed of a concert ground and craft brewery with a scenic view of Blackfoot River.
- Crowd Favorite: Cold Smoke, Scotch Ale, 6.5% ABV. An award-winning Ale in coffee flavor and aroma.
- Highly Recommended: Double Haul, IPA, 6.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Kettlehouse only serves bar snacks like peanuts and potato chips, but you are welcome to bring your food.
- Fun Fact: It’s illegal for breweries near rivers to use glass, so Kettlehouse offers canned beers in this facility.
Hours: Open Wed-Sun 12pm–10pm , Mon & Tue 2pm–10pm.
Address: 602 Myrtle St, Missoula, MT 59801
3. Big Sky Brewery
True to its name, Big Sky Brewery is a BIG name in the Missoula craft beer scene! It is a microbrew paradise with a Big Sky Amphitheater that includes eclectic live music performances and is considered one of the city’s summer concert venues!
This brewery is not only famous for its award-winning Moose Drool Brown Ale, they also offer 12 rotating beers on tap, ciders, and hard seltzers that you can enjoy all year-round. With tasty craft beers, a live concert venue, and great Montana food trucks available on the premises, Big Sky offers an ultimate craft beer destination.
- Crowd Favorite: Moose Drool Brown Ale, 5.1% ABV. A creamy brown ale with hints of spices, caramel, and chocolates.
- Highly Recommended: Big Sky IPA, 6.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Big Sky Brewery offers brewery tours.
- Fun Fact: Two Big Sky founders, Brad and Neal, produced and starred in Missoula’s local television show “Beer Talk,” where they tasted different beers and eventually started their brewery.
Hours: Open Mon-Sat 11am–8pm , Sun 12pm–6pm.
4. Highlander Beer
Offering handcrafted craft beers, delicious foods, and hand-tossed pizza, Highlander Beer is another Missoula’s go-to brewery! This brewery is near Grant Creek and features a classic and cozy taproom with plenty of indoor seating, an outdoor patio, a pavilion, and a beer garden.
They are also famous for their hand-tossed pizza, BBQ trailer, and cold and tasty rotating beer on tap. The scenic view of the background and al fresco surroundings makes this place a favorite space for weddings, birthdays, and other private events. So, if you happen to pass by Missoula, make sure to check out Highlander Beer.
- Crowd Favorite: Strange Haze, IPA, 7.4% ABV. A hop-forward light-bodied IPA with notes of pineapple and citrus flavors.
- Highly Recommended: Devil’s Hump, Red Ale, 4.9% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: They offer FREE 32oz crowler in every food you order online!
- Fun Fact: Highlander Beer is a historic beer brand that was opened in 1890, survived Prohibition until 1964, and once again reopened in 2015.
Hours: Open Daily 12pm–8pm.
5. Imagine Nation Brewery
Welcome to Missoula’s best brewery of all time! Imagine Nation Brewery is a unique Missoula brewery focusing on community transformations through conversation and great-tasting beer. This brewery specializes in hazy IPAs and sour fruit beers. It features an industrial-style taproom with plenty of seating and an outdoor patio (located at the back of the brewery) that offers a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere overlooking the nature preserve and Clark Fork River.
This brewery is also a local neighborhood hotspot vibe and offers free movies on Sunday, popcorn, and live music throughout the week!
- Crowd Favorite: Lupujūs 7, IPA, 7.2% ABV. A double dry-hopped New England IPA.
- Highly Recommended: Freedom Fighter, American IPA, 6.8% ABV.
- Fun Fact: Imagine Nation Brewery is a center for community transformation that has supported 500 + organizations and 3500 community events hosted.
Hours: Open Fri-Sun 12pm–8pm, Mon-Thur 2pm-8pm.
6. Tamarack Brewing Company
Founded in 2007, Tamarack Brewing Company is a family-owned brewery that offers fresh craft beer and delicious foods located in the heart of Missoula, offering a two-story taproom and two outdoor patios overlooking the Caras Park and Clark Fork River. This brewery is a sport gathering hotspot for its several TVs set up for game-watch parties and creative brews.
It features a two-story brewery, taproom, and restaurant that offers amazing and locally sourced foods providing a cozy place to relax and enjoy a pint of beer. With the great view and surroundings, Tamarack is another must-visit brewery in Missoula.
- Crowd Favorite: Sip and Go, Naked, Pale Ale, 5.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Red Bus Summer Bock, 6.6% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Tamarack Brewing Company offers gluten-free foods and a kid’s menu
- Fun Fact: This brewery is also a sports hub for Grizzlies fans for the after-party, as they offer a “Fifth Game” promo.
Hours: Open Mon-Fri 11am–9pm, Sat & Sun 10am-9pm.
Address: 231 W Front St, Missoula, MT 59802
7. Bayern Brewery
Bayern Brewery is one of the oldest and the only German microbrewery in Missoula with 35 years of craft brewing experience. Bayern Brewery features a classic rustic brewpub with multiple indoor seating, a balcony patio, and a beer garden.
They specialize in Bavarian-style beer, where you can find nine beers on tap ranging from Pilsner to lagers, Doppelbocks, and Weizens. Aside from tasty craft beers, this brewery is also known for its delicious German foods and snacks from its in-house Edelweiss Bistro.
- Crowd Favorite: Dragon’s Breath, Wheat Beer, 6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Pilsener, German Pilsner, 5.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Bayern Brewery offers beer sampling and brewery tours. Check out their website for schedules.
- Fun Fact: Bayern Brewery leads in implementing sustainability and environmental responsibility among businesses in Missoula.
Hours: Open Daily 11am–8pm.
Address: 1507 Montana St, Missoula, MT 59801
8. Conflux Brewing Company
Conflux Brewing is a 10,000 square-feet brewery, restaurant, and taproom that offers a great place for casual dining and beer drinking. This brewery has become a downtown gathering hotspot, featuring an industrial vibe taproom with plenty of indoor seating, expansive windows, an open second-floor balcony, and sidewalk dining with fire pits. Choose from their wide selection of 13 rotating beers on tap, wines, spirits, and cocktails, and have a taste of Montana food grub!
- Crowd Favorite: Take A Whiff, IPA, 7% ABV. A refreshing combination of pineapple and citrus in a hazy, bitter IPA.
- Highly Recommended: Mountain Thunder, IPA, 7.1% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Conflux Brewing is located near public bus stops and has plenty of bike racks on the sidewalks, making it accessible to everyone.
Hours: Open Tue & Wed 12pm–10pm, Thur-Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun & Mon Closed.
Address: 210 N Pattee St, Missoula, MT 59802
9. Great Burn Brewery
Located on the south side of Missoula, Great Burn Brewery is a family and friends-owned brewery specializing in west coast style hop-forward beers. Featuring an industrial-style taproom with ample indoor seating, a loft, and an outdoor patio with fire pits offering a relaxing and comfortable vibe perfect for family and friends. Aside from ten rotating seasonal and specialty beers on tap, this brewery also serves small batches of handcrafted ales to its patron.
- Crowd Favorite: Great Burn IPA, 6.2% ABV. A crisp and light American IPA with the right amount of bitterness.
- Highly Recommended: Smoke Chaser Porter, 6.5% ABV.
- Fun Fact: The brewery’s named after the founder’s brother Chad, who experienced the Great Burn Wilderness in 1990, which became the largest fire in American history.
Hours: Open Sun – Thur 2pm – 8pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 8pm.
Address: 2230 McDonald Ave, Missoula, MT 59801