With fun outdoor recreations like boat building, charter cruises, and fishing, Bellingham is dubbed as the best place to retire and live. People recognized the city for its exceptional brews, making Bellingham a suitable place to relax, enjoy, and drink pints.
You may also want to hop on in a brew pub after your mellowing leisure, so we have gathered up the best and world-class breweries in Bellingham. Make sure to drop by!
1. Aslan Brewing Company
Like its name, which denotes the King of the Jungle, Aslan powerfully upholds its sustainability commitment. It reduces its water and power consumption by harvesting rainwater and using 100% Green Power Renewable Energy. All of its beers are USDA Certified Organic, which means that besides using organic ingredients, it also uses low-impact chemicals in brewery cleaning.
Not only its care for the environment makes Aslan stand out, but also for serving top-notch beers, wines, ciders, and spirits. Have them in the Brew Pub on Forest Street, which features a fresh-looking taproom, mezzanine, and streetside seating, or The Depot on State Street, boasting a classic lounge and uncovered patio.
- Crowd Favorite: Batch 15 IPA. A juicy and unfiltered American-style beer with a 6.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Dawn Patrol
- Hop-py Note: Kid and dog-friendly. Sells merchandise and gift cards.
- Fun Fact: Aslan is a Certified B Corporation, one of the most well-known ethical blue ribbons.
Hours: Open Fri-Wed 12pm-10pm, Thur Closed
2. Wander Brewing
Reigning as one of the best award-winning breweries in Bellingham, Wander Brewing is proud of its over 20 awards from the World Beer Cup, GABF, and Washington Beer Awards. The brewery has been serving the public since 2013 and is known for its Wander Barrel Project beers. These beers are blended and fermented in a rye whiskey barrel and American oak foeder, creating a deep and award-worthy flavor.
Wander Brewing welcomes guests of all ages in its spacious brew hall with a fantastic indoor area and ample outdoor seating. You will find around 13 cans for to-go, 13 beers on tap, and a rotating list of local cider and wines. Moreover, the place has rotating food trucks daily, serving delicious pub grubs from American classics to vegan goodies.
- Crowd Favorite: Shoe Toss. A crisp and citrusy IPA with 6.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Global Mutt
- Hop-py Note: Bike and free parking. Outside food is welcome. Kid-friendly.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 2pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-10pm
Address: 1807 Dean Ave, Bellingham, WA 98225
3. Kulshan Brewing Company
Kulshan opened in 2012, and with three locations around Bellingham, it is one of the fastest-growing breweries. Just a year after opening, its owner, David Vitt, managed to double its brewing system to 15 barrels that produced award-winning beers and gave the brewery 48 medals and recognition.
Kulshan’s award-winning IPAs, ale, and lagers are always available to order, together with some seasonal beers, specialty, and limited releases. Enjoy them in Sunnyland’s famous beer garden or Roosevelt’s industrial-themed taproom. It also has a trackside brewery and beer garden, which operates from late spring to early fall.
- Crowd Favorite: Bastard Kat IPA. A hoppy American-style West Coast beer with 6.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Kitten Mittens
- Hop-py Note: Bingo nights. Live music. Family and dog-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Kulshan’s most recent awards are its silver medal for Gose and bronze medal for Helles at the 2021 Great American Beer Festival.
Hours: Open Mon – Sat 11am – 9pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm.
4. Gruff Brewing Co.
Started in a garage in 2013, Gruff was founded by three Bellingham-born childhood friends. The owners wish for beer drinkers to enjoy their beers as much as they enjoy brewing them, and true enough, it is currently the hangout favorite in the downtown area, with fun pub activities like kite flying, art walk, and adult swim party.
Have a pint at Gruff’s sturdy picnic tables in the spacious, relaxing beer garden with mesmerizing views. You can also stay in its fire-heated covered outdoor patio and art-decorated taproom with collections from talented local artists.
- Crowd Favorite: IPA 007. A heavy-hopped American-style beer with 7.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Trash Bird
- Hop-py Note: Movie and Trivia nights. Live DJ. Dog-friendly. Table games.
- Fun Fact: In the 2022 Washington Beer Awards, Gruff’s won a gold medal for Blackberry Gose and a bronze medal for Mexican Lager.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 3pm-11pm, Fri & Sat 11am-12am, Sun 11am-11pm
5. Boundary Bay Brewery
Started pouring beers in 1995, Boundary Bay is the first brewery in Bellingham. It was recognized in 2014 as an “Outstanding Philanthropic Small Business for Washington State” for its constant spearheading of donations and hosting of non-profit events. It also has numerous sustainability practices to reduce its carbon footprint.
As a brewery and bistro, it serves delectable fare and a wide array of beers such as hoppy IPAs, malty ryes, and fruity lagers. Cocktails, wines, and ciders can also be relished in the charming taproom of the brewery with a weather-sealed outdoor deck and mural-decorated bistro.
- Crowd Favorite: IPA (Inside Passage Ale). A classic, malty, and American-style beer with a 7.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Scotch Ale
- Hop-py Note: Kid and dog-friendly. Live music. Sells merchandise.
- Fun Fact: Boundary Bay’s Bellingham Blonde won silver at the 2022 Great American Beer Festival.
Hours: Open Sun-Wed 11am-9pm, Thur 10am-2pm, Sun 11am-11pm
6. Twin Sisters Brewing Company
Terri and Loren founded Twin Sisters, a restaurant and brewery combo. It serves classic pub grubs like fries, burgers, and tacos that perfectly go along with the 15 high-quality beers on tap and 11 seasonal beers to-go of the brewery. Non-alcoholics and rotating ciders are also on its list to give you choices.
Join the Twin Sister’s happy hour from 3 to 5 PM, and savor your drinks in the brewery’s unique and one-of-a-kind taproom. The taproom has a cozy mezzanine, a sunlit beer garden, a semi-private picnic alley, and a professional-grade tent. The brewery has a 450 guests capacity, and good thing because it is available for a full and partial buy-out.
- Crowd Favorite: Bellingham Green. A bold and lively American IPA with 7.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Successor Hazy IPA
- Hop-py Note: Trivia and comedy nights. Live music. Kid and dog-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Twin Sisters occasionally holds fundraising events for non-profit organizations.
Hours: Open Fri & Sat 12pm-9pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon & Tue Closed, Wed 3pm-8pm, Thur Closed