Sacramento has been a beer paradise long before Prohibition. Thanks to its agricultural bounty, it prides itself on its farm-to-fork concepts producing freshly brewed beers and delicious foods. With 50 craft breweries scattered all over the city, Sacramento’s craft beer scene steadily grows for the following years, it’s now home to pioneering breweries and produces some of the best beer in the region.
Below are the leading local breweries in Sacramento that we’ve put together to help you find the best brewery for your next visit. From award-winning, innovative to low-key brews, discover the different tastes of Sacramento!
1. Alaro Craft Brewery
Alaro Craft Brewing is a modern Spanish brewery and restaurant in historic Midtown Sacramento. It has a beautiful yet casual interior and multiple outdoor patios making it a perfect beer and food destination. You can enjoy classic yet well-executed handcrafted IPAs, Lager, Ales, Stout, and Pilsner, or they’re famous for their natural ingredients with no added sugar, such as their flagship and award-winning Castillo IPA. Aside from best-tasting beers, they also offer a well-curated wine list, artisan cocktails, sodas, teas, and soft-serve ice cream!
Paying homage to its Spanish heritage, Alaro Brewery serves the best Spanish-style dishes in Sacramento. From its signature dishes, Pulpo Gallego and Gambas al Alijo, to its favorite pub grub Wild Rock Tacos!
- Crowd Favorite: The Castillo, IPA, 6.8% ABV. A multi-awarded and flagship English IPA from 2008 to 2021.
- Highly Recommended: The Avenida, IPA, 7.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Alaro accepts table reservations.
- Fun Fact: Alaro is situated in the former Rubicon Brewing Company, one of the Sacramento craft beer scene pioneers.
Hours: Open Mon 11am-9pm, Tue 11am-8pm, Wed & Thur 11am-9pm, Fri & Sat 11am-9:30pm, Sun 10:30am-8:30pm
2. Urban Roots Brewery and Smokehouse
If you’re looking for a place to enjoy beer and taste the famous Sacramento barbecue, drop by Urban Roots Brewery and Smokehouse! This brewery focuses on providing a place for the community to gather, relax, and have a good time. You can enjoy their famous smokehouse barbecue, salads, smoked meat, and small bites in the taproom, bar, and beer garden.
You’re wrong if you think this brewery is for dining only! Their flagship Imperial Stout will surely make your order for more. Aside from 20 beers on tap, Urban Roots has a curated wine list and ciders for non-beer lovers.
- Crowd Favorite: Like Riding A Bike, IPA, 6.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Playground Tactics, IPA, 8.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Urban Roots does not accept table reservations. Seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 11am-9pm, Fri & Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-9pm, Mon Closed
Address: 1322 V St, Sacramento, CA 95818
3. Track 7 Brewing
Famous for its Bee Line Blonde and Right Eye Double IPA, Track 7 Brewing is another Sacramento brewery you shouldn’t miss! It was founded in 2011 and had three taprooms located across Sacramento. Choose from their wide selection of innovative beers from IPA (double and triple), Sour Ale, and hard Seltzer serves in their kid and dog-friendly taprooms. With The Jazzy Bird taking over its kitchen, you can expect to taste the best Peruvian rotisserie in the region. Track 7 Brewing is also an event hotspot featuring Friday night comedy and book club and caters to private events with its event space that can accommodate up to 200 people.
- Crowd Favorite: Panic IPA, 7% ABV. Track 7 Brewing’s first-ever IPA that becomes California Staple.
- Highly Recommended: Left Eye, Right Eye, IPA, 8.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Aside from the Jazzy Bird, all Track 7 taprooms host food trucks on rotation.
- Fun Fact: Track 7 Brewing’s name refers to the nearby Western Pacific Railroad Tracks that play an essential role in Sacramento’s history.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 3pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-8pm
4. Device Brewing Company
Founded by a certified craft beer enthusiast, Device Brewing Company offers a taste of California with its flagship IPA and Stout selections. The brewery has three locations around Sacramento, providing family-friendly taprooms and a kitchen serving pub grub to heavier menus. Indulge in their seasonal and year-round beers, from their West-Coast IPA to their favorite Oktoberfest flavors. Another good thing about Device Brewing is that they offer event space perfect for any occasion. With its industrial atmosphere, and multiple indoor and outdoor seating, Device brewing has become one of Sacramento’s premier breweries.
- Crowd Favorite: Curious Haze, IPA, 7% ABV. A perfect blend of fresh pineapple, mango, and citrus.
- Highly Recommended: Integral IPA, 7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: The device Rush River Drive location serves brunch every weekend, while the 14th Avenue and R Street taprooms allow outside foods.
Hours: Open Mon-Wed 3pm-9pm, Thur 3pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-10pm
Address: 1610 R St #145, Sacramento, CA 95811
5. Fieldwork Brewery
A hidden gem in Sacramento’s The Handle District, Fieldwork Brewery first called Berkeley it’s home. Founded in 2014, this brewery became a well-known local microbrewery with multiple taprooms found all over California. They offer an ever-changing list of fresh releases of quality and innovative beers available in flights, pint, and can to-go. Unlike the other craft breweries, Fieldwork also produces its wines, such as Syrah and Zinfandel varietals. The brewery also serves Neapolitan-style pizza and other pub grub, which you can enjoy in their taproom or outdoor patio. Due to Fieldwork’s popularity, some locations accept table reservations for 3 hours only to give a chance to everyone.
- Crowd Favorite: Salted Raspberry, Sour, 4.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Eastside Motel, IPA, 8.3% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Table reservations are available in other Fieldwork locations except for Sacramento.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 12pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-9pm
6. Bike Dog Brewery
They were founded by a group of friends who mixed their love for bikes, dogs, and beer to create something all beer lover’s dreams: a brewery. With two locations in Broadway and West Sacramento, Bike Dog Brewery is another favorite hangout for friends and family looking for tasty beers and a fun “hotdog” menu! If you’re looking for a heavy meal, visit the neighboring restaurant, Selland’s; they serve pizza, salads, and beer-friendly plates. Their newest West Sac taproom features indoor and outdoor dining and dog-friendly pubs. Every weekend you’ll be entertained by different events, from trivia to game nights.
- Crowd Favorite: Mosaic, Pale Ale, 5.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Milk Stout, 4.6% ABV.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 3pm – 8pm, Fri 3pm – 9pm, Sat 12pm – 9pm, Sun 12pm – 6pm, Mon & Tues Closed.
7. New Glory Brewery
More than its tasty beers, New Glory Brewery has a great story to tell. It is one of Sacramento’s must-visit breweries, founded by a French National who found both love and passion for beer in America. The brewery stood out by ditching the classics and offering interesting craft beer flavors according to their mood, ingredients, and season. From their year-round beer, random selection, and collaboration with other breweries, you can find creative and innovative approaches to craft beer which slowly earned their place in the Sacramento craft beer scene. The brewery also offers a beer-infused menu and beer cocktails.
- Crowd Favorite: Gummy Worms, Pale Ale, 5.8% ABV. A juicy and hop-forward Ale with candied pineapple and fruits.
- Highly Recommended: Ubahdank, IPA, 7.2% ABV.
- Fun Fact: The New Glory Farmhouse Saison was first brewed and tasted during Lux’s wedding.
Hours: Open Daily 12pm-8pm
8. Drake’s Barn Brewery
Welcome to one of Sacramento’s hidden gems, Drake’s Barn Brewery! Founded in 2018, Drake’s Barn is a two acres brewery that has become a gathering hotspot for family and friends looking for great beer, food, and entertainment. This architectural landmark features a 400-seat beer garden, an outdoor bar, and an expansive, spacious lawn perfect for music concerts! Indulge in their year-round, seasonal, and experimental brews with pizza and other delicious small bites. Bring your crew and enjoy basking in the sun, playing lawn games during warm days, or staying in the shade with fire pits in colder months.
- Crowd Favorite: Hopocalypse Hazy Double IPA, 8.4% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Super Becky, Blonde Ale, 4.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: You can park for free at the city-owned lot surrounding Drake’s Barn for 2 hours. Just register at the kiosk or Parkmobile app to enjoy the service.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 4pm-12am, Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-10pm, Mon & Tue Closed