Are you planning to visit the craft beer capital of Colorado? If your answer is yes, we’re giving you a heads up on the top 10 best breweries you don’t want to miss!
One of the top 6 Best Cities for Beer Drinkers (SmartAsset, Dec. 2021), Fort Collins offers a wide selection of breweries where you can enjoy a good pint of beer. Also, some of the city’s best food trucks are now available at their brewing houses! As the home to more than 23 craft breweries (and counting), the old town of Fort Collins lives’ up to its name.
Come aboard as we start the Fort Collins craft brewery tour!
1. New Belgium Brewing
First on the list is Fort Collins’ award-winning craft brewery- New Belgium Brewing. This certified B-Corp brewery offers a spacious sitting space where you can stop in for chats, great food trucks, music, and good times alongside their famous specialty brews. You can never go wrong with this place!
New Belgium brewery’s mission is to make world-class beer for everyone. With this bold statement, we can expect to taste the best beer Fort Collins could offer.
- Crowd Favorite: Fat Tire American Amber/Red, 5.2% ABV. This award-winning masterpiece is an easy-drinking amber ale and first America’s certified carbon-neutral beer. It has a medium body with sweet caramel malts and subtle notes of fresh fennel and green apples.
- Fun Facts: New Belgium brewing is the fourth largest brewery in the USA. It is also hailed as one of the “Best Places to Work” by Outside Magazine.
Hours: Open Sun – Wed 12pm – 8pm, Thur-Sat 12pm – 9pm
2. Odell brewery
Odell brewery is an independent, employee-owned company and ranked as the 28th largest independent craft brewery in the U.S. This old town brewery features its famous draft microbrews with a dog-friendly outdoor patio and breathtaking mountain scenery. Odell brewery also offers their award-winning brews of 90 Shilling Ale and 5 Barrel Pale Ale, which will surely excite your palate! With different food trucks available every day, definitely one of the most visited places in Fort Collins.
- Crowd Favorite: 90 Shilling, 5.3 ABV. A captivatingly smooth and delightful medium-bodied amber ale makes it Odell brewery’s flagship beer.
- Fun Fact: Odell brewery is Fort Collins’ first craft brewery that made a mark for its award-winning specialty brews (90 Shilling Ale and 5 Barrel Pale Ale).
- What’s New? – Odell Brewery added a great winery with wine selections you indeed love!
Hours: Open Mon – Tues 12pm – 7pm, Wed – Sun 11am – 8pm
3. Crooked Stave Fort Collins
Let’s get artsy with Crooked Stave brewery! Established in 2010, this artisan brewery is famous for its “Brettanomyces Project,” a unique brewing approach using Brettanomyces yeast and maturing in wooden oak, resulting in a brewing masterpiece of astonishing intricacy. Located in The Exchange in downtown Fort Collins, Crooked Stave brewery combines science and art through creativity and passion. A must-stop brewery with great outdoor ambiance.
- Crowd Favorite – Sour Rośe, 4.5% ABV. A wild sour ale fermented in oak barrels with raspberries and blueberries. It has a crisp, acidic, bubbly, and elegant taste likened to champagne. Best suitable for all seasons and occasions.
- Fun Fact – Crooked Stave is the product of Chad Yakobson’s (owner and brewmaster) research on “Brettanomyces yeast species and their use in the brewing industry” for his Master’s degree.
Hours: Open Mon – Wed 12pm -8pm, Thur & Sun 12pm – 8pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 9pm
Address: 225 Pine St, Fort Collins, CO 80524
4. Gilded Goat Brewing Company
This place is perfect for you if you want a dog-friendly brewery with an open patio to enjoy a delicious pint of craft beer and the beautiful Colorado weather. With an ideal blend of traditional craft brewing and improved techniques in microbiology, Gilded Goat brewery showcases Colorado’s unique flavor. This place is also known for its friendly staff with free Wi-Fi. Also, don’t forget to try their pretzels. You’ll surely love them!
- Crowd Favorite – Vanilla Bourbon Cream, 4.9% ABV. A clean, crisp, and flavorful Cashmere Cream Ale in four roses bourbon barrels with a massive addition of fresh vanilla.
- Fun Fact – The name “gilded goat” embodies the brewery’s adventurous characteristics and constant desire to explore, daring yet composed, and comfortable on edge. Sounds interesting, right?
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 1pm – 9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 9pm, Sun 12pm – 7pm
5. Funkwerks Brewery
Looking for a brewery in Fort Collins that’s a little different from the leading beer players? Don’t forget to check out Funkwerks. Funkwerks offers a niche-style beer with a pleasant outdoor experience and delightful food snacks on their menu. In addition to taprooms, they also provide a barrel room rental for meetings, holiday parties, and other special events—a great place to include in your list.
- Crowd Favorite – Saison, 6.8% ABV. This Belgian Style Saison already bags multiple awards in different craft brewing competitions. It has a gold to light amber color, an aromatic, fruity taste, and a hint of leather-like flavor. This summertime beer is not only ideal for warm weather but all year round. Make sure to try it.
- Hop-py Note – Funkwerks offers a first-come, first-serve basis and does not accept call-ahead seating, both indoor and outdoor service. If you’re coming in groups, be sure to come in early.
Hours: Open Sun – Thur 11am – 8pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 9pm
6. Horse and Dragon Brewery
A small family-owned craft beer brewery with a relaxed, fun vibe. Tag as the “real local’s place” because of its welcoming and friendly atmosphere. Horse and dragon brewery can be your escape route after a long crazy week. You will surely enjoy this place if you are a puzzle and a playing card enthusiast.
- Crowd Favorite – Sad Panda Coffee Stout, 6.8% ABV. A unique blend of vanilla and chocolate with the malt sweetness and caramel aroma of stout. You’re indeed comparing it with your favorite coffee.
- What’s New? – “Tasting Note.” A Horse and Dragon Bands and Brews series every second Friday of the month. Don’t forget to update your calendar.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 2pm – 7pm, Friday – Sunday 12pm – 7pm.
Address: 124 Racquette Drive, Fort Collins
7. Equinox Brewing
It is located off Remington Street in old town Fort Collins. Equinox brewing is a mellow craft brewery featuring an outdoor beer garden and a public house-style bar. This brewery focuses on bringing people together through a nice pint of beer and good conversation, plus live bands on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Crowd Favorite – Midsummer Pale Ale, 5.30% ABV. This beer has a bright, crisp hop aroma of grapefruit with a clean and citrusy flavor. You’ll surely love to have this during summer.
- Fun fact – There is no TV inside the bar as the owner wanted to bring people closer through great beer and conversations. Prepare your good stories. This will surely come in handy!
Hours: Open Mon – Tues 2pm – 8pm, Wed 2pm -9pm, Thur – Sat 12pm – 9pm, Sun 12pm – 7pm
8. Zwei Brewing
One of the go-to breweries in Fort Collins! Zwei brewing offers German-style, Euro-centric brewing arts of beer making. They also have plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, plus vast parking spaces. With scheduled food trucks throughout the week, it’s serious fun! If you want to experience a German-style beer, this one’s for you.
- Crowd Favorite – German Pils, 5.1% ABV. A German beer brewed using German Pils malt, Mittelfruh hops, and special Bavarian yeast. A German taste beer that you will surely love.
- Hop-py Note – No reservations required. Walk-in customers are welcome. Just make sure to come early to save your spot.
Hours: Open Mon – Sat 11am – 9pm, Sunday 11am – 7pm.
9. Black Bottle Brewery
Located at the heart of midtown Fort Collins, Black Bottle brewery offers a wide selection of beers on taps. They offer their beers and have various choices from their neighboring brewery and some international beer brands, packed and ready to go. If you’re looking for a food truck nearby, there will be none, as Black Bottle Brewery offers a full food menu from their full-service kitchen. Don’t miss the opportunity to try their most pride recipes!
- Crowd Favorite – Ginger American red ale, 6.5% ABV. An American red ale with a twist of root ginger. This beer has no soul—but one of the billpayers of Black Bottle Brewery.
- Fun fact– The brew makers called it “Black Bottle,” which stands for the blue-collar, underdog, black sheep, and others (you know what I’m talking about). Also, who would argue? Black bottles sound cool!
Hours: Open Mon – Wed 11am -9pm, Thur – Sat 11am – 11pm, Sun 11am – 8pm
10. Purpose Brewing & Cellar
If you’re into fruity, woody, spices, and other unique beer tastes, don’t forget to add Purpose brewing to your list. Purpose Brewing is a small craft brewery specializing in hand-crafted beers located at Mason Street. They serve five unique and top-notch brews every week. With a great story, nice ambiance, and great tasting beer, don’t miss this treasure on your next visit. Purpose brewing and cellar will surely not disappoint.
- Crowd Favorite – Nacht porter, 7.45% ABV. A black ale matured on Brazilian Amburana wood with the addition of coconut, orange peel, vanilla beans, and grains.
- Fun Fact– Peter Bouckaert, one of the owners, is a rockstar in craft breweries. Before starting his own business, he was a former brewmaster in New Belgium Brewing.
Hours: Open Wed 4pm – 9pm, Thur 2pm – 9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 9pm, Sun 12pm – 7pm, Mon & Tues Closed
Other craft breweries near Fort Collins to check out:
- Prost Brewing Co.
- Maxline brewery.
- Anheuser Busch brewery
- Intersect brewery
- Jessup farm brewery
- DC oakes brewery
With the impressive brewery list above, what is your favorite so far? Don’t forget to tag us and leave a review. Cheers!