Not less than ten years ago, Frederick was just a small city in Maryland with no standout points. But, the town became known when its craft beer scene started booming because of new breweries opening up in different areas of the city.
Today, Frederick City houses many outstanding breweries with award-winning beers. Residents and tourists are in awe whenever they visit a brewery and taste its signature beers. So, if you are one of those beer-enthusiasts seeking new flavors, Frederick, Maryland, is the place to visit! Come and have fun as we take you to the top breweries you must visit in the city.
1. Flying Dog Brewery
You may find the name Flying Dog weird, but there’s a pretty good explanation behind it. The founders of the brewery, led by George Stranahan, believe that you should take the risk even though you don’t know if you will succeed and still pulls it off. Flying Dog also means attempting the impossible, which is why the brewery is very active in experimenting with new flavors and exploring the world of beers.
Today, Flying Dog Brewing is one of the most popular breweries in Frederick, Maryland, and continues to grow every single day. However, due to the COVID-19 restrictions, Flying Dog’s tasting room is temporarily closed but said they would reopen, though there’s no exact date yet. Despite this, the brewery still actively produces beers and ships its products to national and international fans.
- Crowd Favorite: Raging Bitch. A strong, hoppy, and aromatic Belgian IPA with 8.3% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Snake Dog IPA
- Fun Fact: Flying Dog’s founder and former CEO peacefully passed away last June 2021, so there was a change in the brewery’s ownership.
Hours: Open Mon-Wed 5pm–7pm, Thur-Sun Closed.
Address: 4607 Wedgewood Blvd, Frederick, MD 21703
Contact: (301) 694-7899 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Attaboy Beer
Attaboy Beer is founded by Brian and Carly, who have the same passion for brewing The two believe that after a long day of work, everyone deserves a good tap on the back and a refreshing glass of beer.
Attaboy Beer features a taproom and beer garden, offering a rotating list of its signature and experimental beers. You can find different styles of beers, such as fermented brews, barrel-aged beers, and some easy-to-drink crafts. You can also order can, growlers and bottles to go for you to bring home.
- Crowd Favorite: Guava No Guava. A tropical and juicy, hazy IPA with guava notes and contains 6.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Creek Life (Citra)
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly garage and beer garden. Rotating food trucks every day.
- Fun Fact: The brewery got its name from the expression “Attaboy,” which means to encourage or admire someone.
Hours: Open Tue-Sun 12pm–10pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 400 Sagner Ave #400, Frederick, MD 21701
Contact: (301) 338-8229 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Olde Mother Brewing Co.
Nick and Keith are passionate home brewers who dream of building a brewery that focuses on simplicity, good relationships, and the community. These two are the masters behind Olde Mother Brewing, a microbrewery in Downtown Frederick serving freshly brewed beers. The brewery started with a custom-built 55-gallon brewing system but now operates a 10-barrel brewhouse, serving enough beers for the local community.
Olde Mother’s taproom features 13 taps of classic and innovative beers and brews with unique twists. The brewery also has weekly fun events and occasions where they celebrate with its customers, so you will have a great time here!
- Crowd Favorite: Impressionist. A fruity, tropical, and slightly bitter American IPA with 6.3% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Dire Wolf
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Rotating food trucks on-site.
- Fun Fact: Olde Mother Brewing is preparing to open a new location, but the details are not yet disclosed.
Hours: Open Tue & Wed 2pm–10pm, Thur-Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-7pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 526 N Market St, Frederick, MD 21701
Contact: (240) 877-7392 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Idiom Brewing Co.
Michael, the owner of Idiom Brewing, had a trip to Portland, Oregon, to visit his friends. During his journey, he had the chance to brew an Irish Red ale, which sparked his passion for brewing. And through that feeling of love for brewing, he opened his brewery in 2019 at Patrick Street in Frederick, Maryland.
Today, Idiom Brewing is a growing microbrewery hiring more staff to cater to its increasing customers and regulars. The brewery is open daily and features a rotating tap list of 27 craft beers.
- Crowd Favorite: Generational Gap. A juicy and delicious New England IPA with 7.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Raise Your Eyebrow
- Hop-py note: Offers delivery and takeout. Indoor and outdoor seatings.
- Fun Fact: The Brewery has a merchandise store on its website called Gear n’ beer, where you can purchase t-shirts, glassware, and stuffs for your dog.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 12pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm.
Address: 340 E Patrick St Suite #104, Frederick, MD 21701
Contact: (240) 578-4152 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Monocacy Brewing Company
Monocacy Brewing is a microbrewery in the historic downtown of Frederick, Maryland. The brewery is passionate about crafting quality beers and strives to be a community-driven establishment caring about its neighborhood.
Monocacy Brewing’s tasting room features a selection of year-round and seasonal beers and limited releases. Additionally, the place is open for brewery tours and beer tastings; however, it is temporarily unavailable due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Crowd Favorite: Riot Rye Pale Ale. A rye beer with balanced hop and malt tones with 6.4% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Brewtus
- Hop-py note: Rotating food trucks on-site. Occasional live music. Covered outdoor seating.
- Fun Fact: Monocacy’s tasting room is converted from an old ice cream plant.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 4pm-9pm, Fri 2pm-9pm, Sat 12pm-9pm, Sun 12pm-6pm, Mon & Tue Closed.
Address: 1781 N Market St, Frederick, MD 21701
Contact: (240) 457-4232 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Rockwell Brewery
Paul and Matt are home-brewing buddies inspired by their beers and Frederick’s growing craft beer scene to build Rockwell Brewing. The two officially opened the brewery’s doors in March 2017 on North East Street in the city.
Rockwell Brewery’s taproom and beer garden are open seven days a week, featuring events like pourhouse trivia, happy hour specials, and yoga. You can also get food from the brewery’s neighbor restaurant, JERK N’ JIVE Caribbean Kitchen. Lastly, you can book private events such as your wedding, birthday party, and fundraising events at Rockwell.
- Crowd Favorite: BIG Juicy. A double dry-hopped hazy IPA with three hops and contains 7.1% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Bitchin’ Camaro
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly beer garden. Family-friendly. Sell and refills growlers. Live music.
Hours: Open Mon 3pm-9:30pm, Tue-Thur 3pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-10:30pm, Sun 12pm-8pm.
Address: 880 N East St STE 201, Frederick, MD 21701
Contact: (301) 732-4880 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
7. Smoketown Brewing Station
In Southwestern Frederick County, Smoketown Brewing is a rising brewery earning an excellent local following. The brewery started as a small company selling beers on-site in their taproom, but a few years later, it became successful and well-known. Smoketown Brewing now distributes its crafts all over Maryland.
Smoketown’s building was an old fire station before homebrewers converted it into a brewery. Due to its history, the brewery’s taproom has a rustic feel and is cozy at night. Aside from tasty home-brewed beers, Smoketown also serves food in its taproom.
- Crowd Favorite: The Patsy. A smooth, silky, classic hazy New England IPA with 6.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Potomac IPA
- Hop-py note: Indoor and outdoor seating. Occasional live music.
- Fun Fact: The brewery got its name from the nickname of Brunswick, Smoketown. It was called Smoketown because the town tends to be covered in smoke every time a visiting train passes by its local tracks.
Hours: Open Sun & Mon 12pm-9pm, Tue 3pm-9pm, Wed & Thur 3pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm.
Address: 400 Sagner Ave Suite #100, Frederick, MD 21701
Contact: (301) 360-5335 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
8. Steinhardt Brewing Company
As a new artisan microbrewery, Steinhardt Brewing aims to serve artisan quality crafts that are drinkable for everyone. Its beers are crafted with the finest and premium ingredients from all over the world, ensuring a quality batch of freshly brewed beers. The brewery is family-owned and operated, and its beers are available at different retail shops all over Maryland.
Steinhardt Brewing’s taproom in Patrick Street features over 20 beers on draft, and you can also have a 5-beer flight. And the taproom also has pub games on-site, so you can have a fun time visiting the place!
- Crowd Favorite: Orange Haze. A hoppy hazy IPA with a punch from blood orange juice contains 7.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Imperial Tupelo Stout
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Live music. Occasional food trucks on-site.
- Fun Fact: Steinhardt Brewing is nominated for 2022 Best of the Best in The Fredericks News Post.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon & Tue Closed.
Address: 340 E Patrick St Suite 102, Frederick, MD 21701
Contact: (301) 471-0901 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
9. Prospect Point Brewing
The last but not the least brewery on our list is Prospect Point Brewing, a new farm brewery that opened this May 2022 on the outskirts of Frederick, just minutes away from downtown. Prospect Point is a promising brewery with a spacious and bright taproom, perfect for any day drinking.
Prospect Point’s outdoor patio is a fantastic spot to hang out with your family while enjoying its fresh and tasty beers. You can also enjoy food from rotating food trucks on site. And, you can check its Instagram and Facebook accounts to know what food trucks to anticipate.
- Crowd Favorite: Hump Day Haze. A hoppy and juicy, hazy IPA with 7.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Saturdaze
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Indoor and outdoor seating. It offers crowlers to go.
Hours: OpenFri 3pm-9pm, Sat 12pm-9pm, Sun 12pm-6pm, Mon-Thur Closed.
Address: 5500a Jefferson Pike, Frederick, MD 21703
Contact: (301) 471-0901 | Facebook | Instagram