Packed with Culture, Food, Crafts, and Fun, Richmond, Virginia, is one of America’s most popular destinations. More than its rich history and diverse culture, this old town is also known for its craft breweries rising industry.
Richmond, Virginia, is home to 30 incredible craft breweries, cideries, and distilleries, as the city’s craft beer industry has blasted since the legislation in 2012. They allow breweries to sell beer on their premises, tasting rooms, and outdoor areas, alongside their best-tasting foods.
We narrow down and put together a map of the best breweries in downtown Richmond, VA, that are perfect for those nights out with friends and family or if you’re looking for a great beer on tap and a meal that isn’t fast food. So, if you’re planning to visit or want to know the best breweries near Richmond, this article is for you.
Hop along as we discover the 15 top-rated and most recommended craft breweries of Richmond, Virginia!
1. Veil Brewing Company
Located in the fast-growing neighborhood of Scott’s Addition, Forest Hill, and Dabney Road, it’s no secret that Veil Brewing is one of the top-rated breweries in Richmond, Virginia. Specialized in hop-forward beers and fruit-infused goses/ ales and have a great selection of hand-crafted brews.
With plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, the Veil’s atmosphere is modern and industrial. It is kid-friendly and offers cans/bottles, draft for on-premises consumption, great merch, and a daily food truck rotation. So, what are you waiting for? Come and check them out!
- Crowd Favorite: Never Never Again Again. 5.1% ABV. A much better and fruity version of the most requested Raspberry Never Again! This crowd’s new favorite went overboard with an insane addition of half a ton of raspberry puree to its brews. This soft raspberry gose with sour notes embodies the Veil’s character. This beer is just for you if you’re a fruity and smoothie beer lover!
- Highly Recommended: #Ladybroz. 4.8% ABV.
- What’s New: There’s no reason to miss out on your favorite craft brew, as Veil Brewing is now open for pickup and shipping to selected states!
- Hop-py Note: Matt Tarpey, the brewmaster and co-founder of The Veil Brewing Company, started his brewing career as an apprentice for Tod Mott at Portsmouth Brewery.
Hours: Open Tues – Thur 4pm – 9pm, Fri 4pm – 10pm, Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm, Mon Closed
2. Väsen Brewing Company
Wondering what a traditional American craft beer with a twist of Belgian style tastes like? A visit to Väsen Brewing will be an exciting plan!
Väsen’s 17,000 square feet rustic-style building contributes to the industrial heritage of the bustling Scott’s Addition neighborhood in Richmond, VA. Its main goal is to craft beer brewed in traditional and rustic Belgian styles paying respect to its founders’ Scandinavian roots. This unique experimental approach to brewing has become Väsen’s total definition of craft brewing.
In addition to its unique beer taste, Väsen offers a full-service restaurant, a large beer garden for outdoor seating, great merch, and a dog-friendly patio. So, come by, have a beer, and get to know them better.
- Crowd Favorite: Norse IPA. 8% ABV. This beer has a well-rounded dry hop character and undertones of grapefruit, tangerine, and pine.
- Highly Recommended: Cashmere Classic IPA. 8% ABV.
- What’s New: The craft beer tour is now available on weekends.
- Hop-py Note: Väsen has created a “Väsen Ambassadors Program” to inspire and educate everyone to stay active through different outdoor activities.
Hours: Open Tues – Thur 3pm – 10pm, Fri 2pm – 10pm, Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm, Mon Closed
Address: 3331 W Moore St, Richmond, VA 23230
3. Stone Brewing Taproom – Richmond
A premier craft brewery featuring beer for all-year-round, specials, and past releases, made only from the finest ingredients. Stone Brewing Taproom is the ninth-largest taproom in the country. It offers a relaxed atmosphere with ample outdoor seating, which can accommodate large groups.
You’ll wonder why you went anywhere else with an outdoor garden, craft brewery, dog-friendly policy, bestseller IPAs, and exciting beer selection.
- Crowd Favorite: The Iconic West Coast-style IPA. 6.9% ABV. This bestseller and the most well-respected IPA in Virginia are the flagship beer of Stone Brewing. A masterpiece bursts with citrus and tropical aromas, perfectly balanced with sweetness and delicate malt appeal.
- Highly Recommended: Stone IPA
- What’s New: Stone Movie Nights
- Hop-py Note: Do you wonder why stone Gargoyles is present in Stone Brewing? Gargoyles represent the company’s eternal pursuits to produce the best beers imaginable. So, if you stumble on one during your visit, consider them your modest servant.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 2pm – 9pm, Fri – Sun 12pm – 9pm
4. Triple Crossing Brewing Company
Suppose you’re looking for a friendly taproom with a casual family vibe and spacious indoor and outdoor seating, where you can taste their superstar brick-oven pizza and delicious pints. In that case, Triple Crossing is one of the best options.
Located in downtown Richmond VA, Triple Crossing is considered one of the brewing industry titans. So, fill up a growler to enjoy later or take home a 6-pack of their latest canned offerings. Also, don’t forget their outstanding collection of merch!
- Crowd Favorite: Falcon Smash. 7.4% ABV. This flagship IPA is a perfect blend of different hop varietals with a hint of citrus and fruity notes, with a light and refreshing taste.
- Highly Recommended: Triple Crossing brick oven Pizza is a must-try!
- What’s New: New open brewpub located at Midlothian, VA.
Hours: Open Mon – Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm
Address: 5203 Hatcher St, Richmond, VA 23231
5. The Answer Brewpub
“Beer is the Answer”- The Answer Brewpub tagline which captures the interest of beer enthusiasts in RVA. From an internationally recognized restaurant to a respected craft brewery with 56 taps, this brewery is an excellent addition to Richmond’s beer scene.
The Answer Brewpub has 2 bars, a great indoor and outdoor seating, a great stage area for live music, an expanding food menu, and exciting varieties of rare and international beers.
- Crowd Favorite: Triple 3 Scoops: Passionfruit, Lemonade, Mango. 9% ABV. This refreshing sour smoothie has the right amount of acidity you’ll love.
- Highly Recommended: Imperial 3 scoops: Red, white, and blue. Joose 16oz cans of to-go fruit beer.
- Hop-py Note: Win exciting prizes on The Answers’ regular Monday night trivia for your correct answer!
Hours: Open Mon – Wed 4pm – 12am, Thur – Sat 12pm – 12am, Sun 12pm – 10pm
Address: 6008 W Broad St, Richmond, VA 23230
6. Ardent Craft Ales
As a production brewery, Ardent’s mission is to produce a wide range of beers, from light and refreshing English ales to hoppy and dark ales.
Ardent Craft Ales is a fun and perfect place to enjoy a pint while chatting with your friends in their famous beer garden. They also have a relaxed taproom setting, private parking lot, and dog-friendly patio (with water bowls and dog treats available). Isn’t’ it amazing? For food, they offer salads, toast, and sandwiches but don’t worry, food trucks are available, and bringing of outside foods is also permitted.
- Crowd Favorite: Farmhouse Ale-Saison. 6.7% ABV. This beer features a balanced fruit flavor with mild spiciness and a dry, refreshing finish.
- Highly Recommended: Honey Ginger 7.8% ABV
- What’s New: Surprise the beer lovers of your life with Ardent physical and digital gift cards!
- Hop-py Note: Ardent is a cooperative in Richmond Garage that aims to produce traditional and creative beers.
Hours: Open Mon – Wed 12pm – 9pm, Thur – Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm
Address: 3200 W Leigh St, Richmond, VA 23230
7. Hardywood Park Craft Brewery
“Brew with Purpose.” This tagline is Hardywood Park Craft Brewery’s sole mission. To produce and brew quality beers made from local ingredients, become a steward of the environment by using renewable energy, and connect and give back to the community.
Ranked as Virginia’s Top Brewery for three consecutive years 2014,2015, and 2016 (RateBeer.com). Aside from the wide selection of tasty beers, this 12,000-square feet warehouse space brewery also offers a pizza kitchen, events space, a large open outdoor patio, and live music. If you’re looking for an ultimate brewery experience, check out Hardywood!
- Crowd Favorite: Gingerbread Stout. 9.2% ABV. An evolution of flavor bursting from milk chocolate and vanilla to thick honeycomb and cinnamon taste, to a note of ginger finish.
- Highly Recommended: The Great Return IPA
- What’s New: Catering, wines, and cocktails are now available at Hardywood.
Hours: Open Tues – Thur 2pm – 9pm, Fri 2pm – 10pm, Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 11am – 7pm, Mon Closed
Address: 2410 Ownby Ln, Richmond, VA 23220
8. Final Gravity Brewing
Final Gravity Brewing is a micro brewery located at Lakeside Avenue, Richmond, VA, with 20 small batches of beer on tap. You can find different varieties of beer as they strive to brew a little something for everyone to enjoy.
Final Gravity offers a comfortable and casual atmosphere, spacious outdoor seating that is dog friendly, events space, arcade games, and dartboards for your enjoyment. Although they don’t have food available, bringing food is always welcome.
- Crowd Favorite: The Doppler Effect, 7% ABV. A refreshing IPA with a fresh pineapple character with a smooth, tangy finish. It is also the 2018 Virginia Craft Brewers Cup Gold Medal Winner.
- Highly Recommended: Venus Rising 8/1% ABV.
- What’s New: Final Gravity offers beer and wine-making kits for everyone who wants to try brewing their beer!
- Hop-py Note: Final Gravity started as a home brewing supply shop called “Original Gravity.” This shop is still operating alongside their brewery.
Hours: Open Tues & Wed 2pm – 8pm, Thur & Fri 2pm – 9pm, Sat 12pm – 9pm, Sun 12pm – 6pm, Mon Closed
9. Isley Brewing
The first craft brewery opened in Scott’s Addition RVA is known for its first and original award-winning peanut butter porter- Choosy Mother. It has a large taproom which is excellent for large groups of friends and family to relax and enjoy the wide selection and out-of-the-box brews.
It also offers pizza, food trucks, and live music, which is an excellent addition to its lively and fantastic atmosphere.
- Crowd Favorite: Choosy Mother Peanut Butter Porter, 6.6% ABV. Made from heated, sweetened oatmeal porter filled with organic peanut butter that produces a creamy and medium-bodied beer brew.
- Highly Recommended: Plain Jane Blueberry and Raspberry Dazzle.
- What’s New: DG Trivia every Tuesday at 7 PM
Hours: Open Tues – Fri 4pm – 9pm, Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm, Mon Closed
Address: 1715 Summit Ave, Richmond, VA 23230
10. Three Notch’d Brewing Company
Inspired by the history of the heroism of Jack Jouett and the famous Three Notch’d Road, the Three Notch’d Brewing Company’s main objective is to leave a mark in the craft beer industry by crafting great beer. Founded by three good friends who share the same dream, goal, and love for craft beer.
Three Notch’d Brewing is not your everyday brewpub. Aside from a wide selection of great beers, they also offer beer-infused food recipes produced using local ingredients, specifically made to compliment the season and what’s on tap.
- Crowd Favorite: Minute Man, 7% ABV. This unique brew is not your ordinary IPA. Forget the bitter flavor and say hello to a fresh fruity taste and aroma.
- Highly Recommended: 40 Mile, 6% ABV. Three Notch’d Brewing Flagship IPA.
- What’s New:
- Hop-py Note: Inspired by the history of the heroism of Jack Jouett, who saves Virginia from the attacks of the British Cavalry. Jack rode 40 miles to Virginia, and his trail was marked by three ax notches, known now as Three Notch’d Road.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 4pm – 10pm, Fri 3pm – 11pm, Sat 12pm – 11pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm
Address: 2930 W Broad St, Richmond, VA 23230
11. Strangeways Brewing
Are you thinking strange? Why not also drink strange? Putting a mark on Richmond’s flagship locations, Scott’s Addition, Fredericksburg, and Williamsburg, Strangeways has three unique taprooms which offer 36 plus selections of beers on tap including IPAs, Belgians, Stouts, Porters, Lagers, Wilds, Specialties, and non-alcoholic beers. It also has wide indoor and expansive outdoor seating with giant event tents which if family and dog friendly.
Aside from unordinary beers and varied menu selections, Strangeways also has food trucks on location, live music, private event space, exciting merch, and gift cards.
- Crowd Favorite: Albino MONKey White Ale, 5% ABV. A Belgian-style White Ale with an extraordinary concoction of wildflower honey, lemon and orange peels, white pepper, and coriander.
- Highly Recommended: Helles Frozen Over, 5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Niel Burton, the founder of Strangeways Brewing, is the mind behind House Bill 359, allowing aspiring brewers to use existing brewing facilities.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 2pm – 8pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 9pm, Sun 12pm – 8pm
Address: 2277a Dabney Rd, Richmond, Va 23230
12. Richbrau Brewing
Richbrau is a newly opened 4,300-square feet craft brewery in Shockoe Bottom. It’s a rising craft micro-brewery that strives to honor Richmond’s past by featuring the local myths and stories on its beer labels—inspired by the idea of reconnecting the beer drinkers to their local folklores and learning something in the process.
Richbrau has decent indoor seating, with board games, pool tables, darts, and even a dancing area for you to enjoy while sipping your pints. On the other hand, the outdoor is relatively small but has a relaxing vibe and is dog friendly.
- Crowd Favorite: Psychic Horse, 6.8% ABV. A hazy IPA with tangerine, citrus, and pineapple with mild acidity.
- Highly Recommended: Carousel blackberry sour.
- What’s New: Richbrau has a mobile beer truck for rent. Best for special events and occasions.
- Hop-py Note: The first-ever craft brewery to introduce the innovative Twist-top Resealable Crowlers in Virginia!
Hours: Open Mon 4pm – 10pm, Tues & Wed 4pm – 10pm, Fri 3pm – 12am, Sat 12pm – 12am, Sun 12pm – 8pm, Tues Closed
Address: 5 S 20th St, Richmond, VA 23223
13. Garden Grove Brewing and Urban Winery
Garden Grove brewing is a small neighborhood micro brewery that focuses on creating quality, hand-crafted beer and wines from their homegrown ingredients. True to their thirst for originality, the brewers dared to define the beer styles and refused to stay with the conventional beer brewing method. They offer a new concept in craft beer and wine making that combines craft beer’s quality and artisan spirit with unique flavor combinations.
Garden Grove brewing also has live music, comedy shows, and monthly beer dinners. A family-friendly, dog-friendly outdoor patio with event spaces is also available.
- Crowd Favorite: The Farmhouse Ale Saison, 6% ABV. This crisp and refreshing brew perfectly blended fruit, spices, hops, and wheat.
- Highly Recommended: Death, 10% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Open for delivery and reservations.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 4pm – 10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 12am, Sun 12pm – 8pm
Address: 3445 W Cary St, Richmond, VA 23221
14. Starr Hill Brewery
As the second oldest craft brewery in Virginia, Starr Hill brewery started as a music hall, and with the founder’s passion for craft beer and music, it blooms out to be one of the leading breweries in Richmond. This award-winning craft brewery has a relaxed, fun vibe with a welcoming and friendly atmosphere in a rustic industrial setup.
Starr Hill is also known for its beautiful rooftop, which provides an enjoyable outdoor experience. In addition to the excellent craft beer collection, it is also a great place for music lovers as Starr Hill features talented music artists to perform. Don’t forget to include Starr Hill on your list.
- Crowd Favorite: Northern Light IPA, 6.2% ABV. A refreshing IPA beer with notes of white bread and tropical fruits.
- Highly Recommended: Violet, 4.7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Starr Hill Brewery has an advocacy to share love and give back to the community by choosing a deserving non-profit organization as a beneficiary every month.
Hours: Open Mon – Wed 4pm – 9pm, Thur: 4pm – 10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 10pm, Sun 12pm – 7pm
Address: 3406 W Leigh St, Richmond, VA 23230
15. Canon and Draw Brewing Company
Located in Richmond’s Fan District, this underrated brewing company is motivated by a huge passion for craft brewing and artistry. Alongside the tasty craft beer selection, they also offer comfortable couches for indoor seating, a bar, and pool tables.
Canon and Draw Brewing is a cozy, relaxing place with spacious event space perfect for every occasion. You can stop in for chats, tasty treats, music, and good times alongside their famous specialty brews. You can never go wrong with this place!
- Crowd Favorite: Corrosive Haze Pink Guava, 6.5% ABV. This flagship craft beer is infused with pink guava for a tangy and sweet flavor and married with grapefruit and passionfruit for a bursting sour and fruity finish.
- Highly Recommended: Orange and Cream IPA Milkshake, 6.5% ABV. A flagship IPA.
Hours: Open Wed – Thur 4pm – 9pm, Fri 4pm – 11pm, Sat 12pm – 11pm, Sun 12pm – 6pm, Mon & Tues Closed
Address: 1529 W Main St, Richmond, VA 23220
Final thought: Which on the list sparks your interest? Well, all the mentioned breweries will surely never disappoint. So, please give it a go and enjoy! Don’t forget to provide us with a review. Cheers!