If you’re visiting Kansas City for the first time, you’re in for a treat. Famous for its mouth-watering BBQ and exploding craft beer scene, this largest city in Missouri is also home to art museums, fountains, and more. Kansas is home to 30 breweries with a wide variety of beer offerings.
Whether you crave the more hop-forward brews or enjoy more approachable traditional and classic beer styles, your beer hopping journey in Kansas is guaranteed to be satisfying. To help you find the best craft beer spots in Kansas, we have reviewed 12 of the most popular breweries in the state.
1. Boulevard Brewing
Any visit to KC shouldn’t be complete without a tour of Boulevard Brewing Company. Featuring an industrial-style Recreation and Tour building that includes a bar, taprooms, and event space, the brewery itself is a sight to see. If you’re looking for games and entertainment, Boulevard also has a gaming space, The Rec Deck, which offers tasty beers and fun shuffleboard games which you can play to your heart’s content! Aside from tasty beers, this brewery also offers Fling craft cocktails and delicious foods. If you don’t visit the tasting room, book a free tour and check their historic copper stills, modeled straight from a German brewery.
- Crowd Favorite: Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Saison,8.5 % ABV. A hoppy farmhouse Ale with a fruity aroma and grapefruit flavor.
- Highly Recommended: Unfiltered Wheat Beer,4.4% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: The Rec Deck is open for reservations.
- Fun Fact: Boulevard Brewing Company opened its door in 1989 and is considered the most prominent specialty brewery in Midwest.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 12pm–8pm, Fri & Sat 11am-9pm, Sun 10am-6pm.
2. KC Bier Co.
KC Bier Co. specializes in crafting authentic German-style beer that brings the German heritage to Kansas City. Featuring a family-friendly Bavarian-style Bierhalle with plenty of indoor seating and a dog-friendly open Biergarten, this brewery offers a warm and welcoming atmosphere that is perfect for a family and friends gathering place. You can order and bring your foods to the Biergarten; however, strictly forbidden in the Bierhalle as they serve pretzels, German sausages, and other delicious foods that can be enjoyed on their large communal tables. If you want a front seat of the German-style brewing, avail their brewery tour every Saturday.
- Crowd Favorite: Dunkel, Large – Munich Dunkel, 5% ABV. Dunkel is a medium-bodied Munich Dunkel with caramel and malt flavors.
- Highly Recommended: Hefeweizen Wheat Beer, 5.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Upon visiting the brewery, wait for the host to check and find your preferred seating. Do not sit without the host’s approval.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 3pm–9pm, Fri 1pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-9pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 310 W 79th St, Kansas City, MO 64114
3. Casual Animal Brewery
If you love animals and beer, there’s only one place for you to visit, don’t worry, the animals are only painted on the walls! This unique and bright brewery featured a spacious funky taproom with vibrant murals and artworks and plenty of seating. This brewery has become a favorite neighborhood brewery with a tasty beer and a welcoming and fun atmosphere. Casual Animal Brewery serves bar snacks, but you can order in the neighboring resto, The Brick, or an excellent pizza from Cluster truck and Jimmy’s John’s.
- Crowd Favorite: Treat Yourself Honey Wheat, Wheat Beer – American Pale Wheat, 5.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Nomo Rhino IPA – American IPA, 6.8% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Casual Animal Brewery is on a first-come, first-served basis, but they will cater reservations for large groups and event space.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 12pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm–10pm, Sun 12pm-7pm.
Address: 1725 McGee St, Kansas City, MO 64108
4. Brewery Emperial
Giving the nod to Kansas City’s craft brewing scene, this Crossroads brewery and restaurant offers thoughtfully crafted beers emphasizing traditional styles. Brewery Emperial features a rustic industrial tasting room with a comfortable and cozy atmosphere suitable for family, business, and friends to hang out. You can choose from a selection of mixed drinks, wines, and seasonal craft cocktails to enjoy in the taproom or their spacious, semi-covered beer garden. Their intimate dining room also serves a multi-course menu from locally sourced and fresh ingredients, which are available for lunch or dinner.
- Crowd Favorite: Biscuit Bitter,5.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Emperial IPA, American IPA,8.9% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Brewery Emperials’ taproom is under renovation, but the beer expansive and semi-covered garden is always open.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 4pm–10pm, Fri 4pm-11pm, Sun 2pm-7pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 1829 Oak St, Kansas City, MO 64108
5. Cinder Block Brewing
Taste an original locally craft beer here at Cinder Block Brewing! This local brewery features a warehouse-style classic tasting room with ample indoor seating, a full bar with ten beers on taps, and an expansive outdoor patio. Suppose you’re looking for a place for your next event. In that case, the Reclamation Room is an available event space with dark woods and custom lighting perfect for intimate weddings, rehearsal dinners, and others. Not a beer fan? Don’t worry; they also offer whiskey, cider, slushes, and their proudly crafted “Blocktail”! Come by during weekends and chill with their live music!
- Crowd Favorite: Block IPA,7.2% ABV. A hop-forward American IPA with pine flavor and citrus and passion fruit notes.
- Highly Recommended: Weathered Wit Wheat Beer, 5.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: No reservation, tables are first come, first served. They don’t serve food, but you can order at the neighborhood restaurant and have it delivered.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 3pm–9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-5pm.
6. Double Shift Brewery
Are you looking for a quick escape after a busy day? Double Shift Brewery is always open to serve you. Housed in a former bicycle shop, this local microbrewery offers tasty small batches of craft beers in the East Crossroad District. Featuring an industrial taproom with rolled-up garage-sized doors to give an airy atmosphere during Kansa’s nice weather and limited outdoor seating, this brewery offers what all beer-lovers need on a bad day- a good beer! Focusing on small crafting batches and fresh beers, this brewery doesn’t serve food, no games, or other events, just a pure, inviting, and laid-back vibe.
- Crowd Favorite: Tessellation American IPA, 6.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Power Moves, New England / Hazy IPA, 6.7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Double Shift Brewery offers a Weekday Crowler Special where you can buy three crowlers for $33!
- Fun Fact: The founders of double Shift Brewing do a double shift job being a certified brewer in the morning and a musician, video gamer, and tattoo artist during the night.
Hours: Open Tue & Wed 4pm–10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 412 E 18th St, Kansas City, MO 64108
7. Big Rip Brewing Company
How does a cabin in the woods event space sound? Interesting right? The big Rip Brewing is a microbrewery that offers a cozy taproom, outdoor patio, and a house in the woods-themed event space in North Kansas. Aside from their incredible beer lineup, they also provide a full bar with wines, spirits, hard seltzer, and soda, so there will be something for everyone to enjoy. Big Rip Brewing now serves meads on tap with the acquired Black Labs Meadery. Come by the weekend and chill with their live music and trivia nights.
- Crowd Favorite: Zelda’s Vanilla Cream Ale,5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Hathor’s Sweet Brown, American Ale, 5.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Big Rip Brewing only offers charcuterie by Cheffed Up, and you are allowed to bring your food.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 4pm–9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12:30pm-5:30pm.
8. Stockyards Brewing
Honoring the historic Stockyard District of West Bottoms, Stockyards brewing strives to produce award-winning traditional craft beers from locally sourced ingredients. Preserving the original character of the 1910 Golden Ox building, including its 100 years old floor tile, this brewery offers a space where you can be transported to the past while enjoying the great beer of modern times. This brewery features a nostalgic taproom with a bar and a private room- The Bulldogger Room. Aside from beer, they also offer draft cold coffee, wine, ciders, and cocktails paired with bar snacks. Enjoy a cold beer and the history of the place with live music every Sunday afternoon.
- Crowd Favorite: Black IPA, Black / Cascadian Dark Ale, 7% ABV. A heavy-bodied Cascadian Dark Ale with a hop character.
- Highly Recommended: Cerveza Royale, Larger – Mexican, 4.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: If you got hungry, the Golden Ox restaurant next door serves delicious steaks!
- Fun Fact: Stockyards Brewing occupies the bar area of the former Golden Ox Restaurant, which was opened in 1949 and closed its door in 2014. The Golden Ox restaurant now opens alongside the brewery and is under new ownership.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 4pm–10pm, Fri & Sat 1pm-10pm, Sun 1pm-8pm, Mon Closed.
9. Rochester Brewing and Roasting Company
They are offering tasty craft beer and delicious coffee all in one place! In West Crossroads Kansas City, Rochester Brewing features an industrial building with a white blank-canvass taproom with wooden furniture, elegant lighting, a bar, and a 1,400-square-foot event space. This brewery serves specialty roasted coffee in the morning as a café, and tasty, creative brews in the afternoon, creating a perfect place for the community to gather and enjoy the camaraderie. This brewery offers a welcoming space for the whole neighborhood with a garage door.
- Crowd Favorite: Orange Creamsicle IPA – Milkshake, 7.1% ABV. A smooth and flavorful orange New England style IPA made with purred oranges.
- Highly Recommended: Hefeweizen Wheat Beer, 5.1% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: This brewery offers sandwiches and other café snacks.
- Fun Fact: Rochester Brewing pays homage to the original Rochester Brewery, which was built in the same neighborhood in the 1800s.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 6:30am–9pm, Fri & Sat 6:30am-10pm, Sun 9am-6:30pm.
10. Alma Mader Brewery
An industrial-style microbrewery is focusing on hop-forward ales and lagers located in Southwest Boulevard. This brewery features an open, high-ceiling white taproom with natural lighting that offers a pleasant and welcoming space. This brewery is an excellent option if you are into a more intimate and laid-back atmosphere. Although they have scanty décor and limited beer selection, they are one of Kansas City’s breweries that produces the best-tasting beers. Among the favorite brews are their Czech lagers and dark IPA. Alma Mader Brewery doesn’t serve food, but food trucks are available on rotation.
- Crowd Favorite: Premiant, Pilsner – Czech, 5% ABV. Made from Bohemian Pilsner and Czech hops.
- Highly Recommended: Dripping in Green IPA – Imperial / Double New England / Hazy, 8% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: This brewery has a vast parking space available. They don’t offer flights, but half-fill beers are available.
- Fun Fact: Alma Mader Brewery’s name refers to “Alma Mater,” a place you grow up and connect with. It also refers to the soul (Alma) and the founder’s brewery ownership; Mader is the founder’s surname.
Hours: Open Thur & Fri 3pm–8pm, Sat 1pm-8pm, Sun 1pm-5pm, Mon-Wed Closed.
11. Callsign Brewery
Raise your pint, and cheers to the nation’s heroes! Located at Burlington Street, Callsign Brewery was founded to honor the veterans and heroes of the war, both past and present. This brewery offers an intimate and welcoming taproom with classic brewpub decors and ample indoor seating. You can play board games, shuffleboard, and darts while enjoying their tasty brews. In addition to the amazing stories of heroism, this brewery also hosts events such as ‘Bikers Against Drunk Drivers” and Customer Appreciation Day. Don’t forget to write a message of thanks to the troops on their Appreciation Wall!
- Crowd Favorite: Bomber Brown Ale – American, 5.9% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Fighter Pale Ale – American, 4.7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: If you’re looking for foods to pair your beer with, you can order dinner and snacks at Cluster Truck. Delivery is free.
- Fun Fact: The founders are Airforce Veterans that dedicated the brewery to their experiences and named the brewery Callsign.
Hours: Open Tue & Wed 4pm–9pm, Thur 11am-9pm, Fri & Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 12pm-5pm, Mon Closed.
12. Strange Days Brewing Co.
Celebrate the strangeness around us with a cold pint of beer! Featuring a festive, vibrant, industrial-style, and old-school taproom with plenty of indoor seating, a bar, and a covered outdoor patio, this brewery is an excellent place to hang out with friends or to make new ones. This place is also a favorite for every soccer and rugby fan as they have several televisions for watching games.
- Crowd Favorite: Stranged – Belgian Strong Dark Ale, 8% ABV. A full-bodied Belgian Dark Ale with caramel and chocolate flavors.
- Highly Recommended: Georgia on My Mind – Sour, 4.6% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Strange Days only offers bar snacks, but you are more welcome to bring your food.
- Fun Fact: Old television is displayed in the taproom, strange.
Hours: Open Wed 4pm-9pm, Thur & Fri 4pm–10pm, Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 12pm-7pm, Mon 4pm-9pm, Tue Closed.
Address: 316 Oak St, Kansas City, MO 64106