Lexington is not only known as the Horse Capital of the World but it’s also a great place for beer lovers. As a matter of fact, the Bluegrass region is home to some of the most well-known microbreweries in the state. If you’re looking for a place to awaken your love for craft beers, Lexington is a great choice.
Today, Lexington is home to over a dozen local breweries producing great beers, from traditional German styles to barrel-aged stouts and Belgian ales. If you’re planning to visit the city, here are some brewpubs worth checking out:
1. Lexington Brewing & Distilling Co.
We start off the list with Lexington Brewing & Distilling Company, the oldest craft brewery in Lexington, KY. Established in 1999, This family-owned brewery remains to celebrate Kentucky’s rich history and culture, which they incorporate through ageless traditions. Located in the heart of the Bluegrass region, Lexington Brewery carries a family legacy and envisions building itself on top of sustainability and ingenuity.
Besides their historical, classic, affluent, yet inviting taproom, you can also go beyond and check out the behind-the-scenes with their informative and immersive facility tours that will bring you back to where this brewing company began. Today, LBDC continues its mission of bringing back the life-long tradition of craft beer making across the rolling hills of Kentucky’s bourbon country.
- Crowd Favorite: Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. An 8.2% ABV well-crafted bourbon with notes of vanilla, caramel, oak, and toffee. Brewed with Fuggles and East Kent Goldings hops.
- Highly Recommended: Kentucky Coffee Barrel Stout
- Hop-py Note: Covered outdoor seating. Street and private lot parking spaces for bikes and vehicles. Dog-friendly. Handicapped accessible. Offers various vegan options.
Hours: Open Mon-Wed 9:30am–6pm, Thur-Sat 9:30am-7pm, Sun 11:30am-5:30pm.
Address: 401 Cross St, Lexington, KY 40508
Contact: (859) 255-2337 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. West Sixth Brewing
West Sixth Brewing Company prides itself on the plethora of craft beers it makes while significantly changing the community it is part of. It aesthetically sits in a hundred-year-old building once operated by a bread factory in Lexington, Kentucky. Its historical location gives a rustic and cozy atmosphere to the place.
Since its founding in 2012, WSB has continued to grow as it opened branches in other parts of Kentucky and a 125-acre farm in Frankfort, KY. All this while making a social impact with their non-profit projects like statewide sponsorships, Pedaling for a Purpose, and the Sixth for a Cause Foundation.
- Crowd Favorite: West Sixth IPA. An Indian Pale Ale brewed with Cascade, Columbus, Centennial, and Citra hops. 7% ABV with hints of pines, peaches, lemon zest, and tangerines.
- Highly Recommended: Pay It Forward!
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly. Accepts takeout orders. Street and private lot parking spaces for vehicles and bicycles. Handicapped accessible. Conducive for working.
Hours: Open Sun-Wed 11am–10pm, Thur 11am-11pm, Fri & Sat 11am-12pm.
Address: 501 W 6th St # 100, Lexington, KY 40508
Contact: (859) 705-0915 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Blue Stallion Brewing Co.
The Blue Stallion Brewing Company is known for its authentic and high-quality British ales and German lagers that have an exquisite balance between richness and sweetness. It stands on its belief that a casual beer does not need to be so dull, which paved the way for it to become a Lexington beer staple.
BSBC is more than just the typical brewing company. Apart from its modern-themed taproom with billard tables, cornhole setups, and picnic-style tables, it also has a German-American-themed restaurant that will complete your overall experience.
- Crowd Favorite: Dunkel. A Munich-style Dunkel Lager brewed with high volumes of Munich malts. 5.4% ABV with a distinct bread-like taste and hints of caramel.
- Highly Recommended: Hefeweizen
- Hop-py Note: Covered patio. Dog-friendly. Heated outdoor seating. Street and private lot parking. Accepts takeout orders. Multiple vegetarian options. Handicapped accessible. Bicycle parking.
Hours: Open Mon 3pm-9pm, Tue & Wed 11pm-10pm, Thur-Sat 11am–12am, Sun 11am-10pm.
Address: 610 W 3rd St, Lexington, KY 40508
Contact: (859) 785-1625 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Rock House Brewing
Rock House Brewing operations mainly revolve around three things–good companionship, great music, and top-quality beers. It started as a congregation of craft beer enthusiasts and home brewers, and through the years, it has evolved into a place known for great eats, exceptional-tasting beers, and good vibes.
It has two separate buildings with spacious seating arrangements. It has a little fire area that keeps your circle warm and toasty while listening to live music. It also offers a large selection of board games enough to chase away boredom and monotony. Besides great beers on tap, its open space warehouse is perfect for small gatherings, reunions, or weddings that you surely remember through the years.
- Crowd Favorite: Shannon the Dude’s Brew. A light-bodied Kentucky Common that is easy for the palate. 4.9% ABV with a dry finish and accents of vanilla.
- Highly Recommended: Double Kick Drum
- Hop-py Note: The place is generally great for kinds. Street and private lot parking spaces. Dogs are allowed. Bicycle parking spaces. Inclusive gender-neutral restrooms. Handicapped accessible.
- Fun fact: One of their highly sought beverages is named after a radio personality from Kentucky Sports Radio.
Hours: Open Mon-Wed 4pm-10pm, Tue-Sat 2pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-5pm.
Address: 119 Luigart Ct, Lexington, KY 40508
Contact: (859) 368-7064 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Mirror Twin Brewing
Everything is much better if it comes in pairs–that is what Mirror Twin Brewing is all about. It was established in 2016 and got its name from the owners themselves, who were mirror twins. MTB is notoriously known for serving twin crafts, brewed with two identical grain recipes but slightly varied to make a distinction and unique taste.
It also has two uniquely different taprooms that you can choose from. The traditional taproom is excellent for you if you are up for a conventional brewery experience. If you are a lounge-vibe kind of person, then the cocktail lounge will do the trick. Either way, you will definitely have a blast in one of the best micro-breweries in Lexington, KY.
- Crowd Favorite: You, Me, and Mr. PB. A chocolate peanut butter and milk stout with 5.6% ABV, perfect for beer lovers with a sweet tooth.
- Highly Recommended: Citranomical
- Hop-py Note: The place offers heated outdoor seating. Street and private lot parking spaces for vehicles. Child-friendly. Accepts takeout orders. Wheelchair accessible. Bicycle parking spaces.
Hours: Open Daily 11am-12am.
Address: 725 National Ave, Lexington, KY 40502
Contact: (859) 447-8146 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Ethereal Brewing
Ethereal Brewing brings Lexington, KY, the standards of Belgian farmhouse and American craft beers. Above anything else, EB puts great emphasis on taste, quality, and creativity in their brews. It is located at the heart of Lexington and is often visited for its industrial-themed space that features a relaxed and comfortable taproom vibe.
Today, EB strives to extend the reaches of its brewing capacity and tries to explore other facets of farmhouse brewing while still following its philosophy of making the best beers without spending lavishly on the brewing process and the ingredients.
- Crowd Favorite: Wanderland IPA. An American IPA-style beer brewed with Northwestern hops and a dry finish. Packed with citrus-tropical flavors and 6.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Fad-tastic
- Hop-py Note: Accepts takeout orders. Dog-friendly. Handicapped accessible.Street parking and private lot parking spaces for vehicles and bicycles. Offers a variety of vegan options.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 12pm-11pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-12am.
Address: 1224 Manchester St, Lexington, KY 40504
Contact: (859) 309-1254 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
7. Pivot Brewing
Besides excellent beers and ciders, Pivot Brewing strives to create distinction by creating a positive impact on the environment and the community it belongs to. Located in downtown Lexington, KY, PB features its solar-powered brewery with food trucks nearby, a laid-back atmosphere, and a uniquely inclusive vibe that you will definitely like.
Today, PV continues with its pivotal efforts in supporting charitable organizations, offering their spaces for free to civic groups and non-profit events, and building impactful branding that seeks for inclusivity and harmony.
- Crowd Favorite: Gingham. A 5.6% hard cider brewed with the bursting sweet taste of ripe strawberries and kiwi fruit.
- Highly Recommended: Vintage
- Hop-py Note: Gender-neutral restrooms. Handicapped accessible. Accepts takeout orders. Dog-friendly. Covered outdoor seating. Street parking and private lot parking for vehicles and bicycles. Offers military discount.
- Fun fact: The business ethics was inspired by the owner’s grandmother, who worked as a “Rosie the Riveter” during WWII.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 4pm-11pm, Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-10pm.
Address: 1400 Delaware Ave, Lexington, KY 40505
Contact: (859) 285-6778 | Facebook | Instagram | Website