If you visit Pennsylvania, don’t miss out on visiting Erie’s best breweries. Situated at the south shore of Lake Erie, this “Flagship City” is the fifth largest city in Pennsylvania. It is not only famous for its beaches, museums, and trails but also for its booming craft beer scene. Erie city is also becoming new heaven for beer lovers and enthusiasts, offering numerous breweries and brew pubs everywhere in the city.
Erie breweries offer more than just excellent-tasting beers. Each brewery has its unique atmosphere, which creates an unforgettable experience. Here are our picks for 7 Essential Craft Breweries in Erie, Pennsylvania.
1. Erie Brewing Company
Erie Brewing Company is Erie’s oldest and largest brewery, opening in 1994. The brewery features a robust selection of craft beers on tap and allows you to enjoy them on flights or go. It includes two bars, a mezzanine, private rooms, covered and open outdoor patios, and a dining area. You can enjoy your pint anywhere in their cozy taproom or on the expansive outdoor patio with a relaxing view of Erie’s landscape.
Erie Brewing also offers a self-guided brewery tour if you want to know more about the magic of the brewing process. If you get hungry, they have an in-house John’s Wildwood pizza that offers hand-tossed pizza and other pub grub. Erie Brewing is also a certified dog-friendly brewery with its dog-friendly patios and annual Dogtoberfest!
- Crowd Favorite: Railbender Ale, 6.8% ABV. An award-winning Scottish Ale with notes of caramel.
- Highly Recommended: Derailed Black Cherries Ale, 5% ABV.
- Fun Fact: Erie Brewing was formerly known as Hoppers Brewpub and was in the historic Union Station.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 4:30pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 11:30am-11pm, Sun 11:30am-7pm
Address: 4102 W Lake Rd, Erie, PA 16505
2. The Brewery at Union Station
Housed in the historic Union Train Station, The Brewery features a rustic structure with an old-world vibe that makes it unique. The Brewery preserved all the landmark signages and traces of the train station and converted them into a comfortable taproom. With year-round brews, seasonal, and limited releases, this Brewery offers something to excite your palate. Aside from the bar, their Trackside Beer Garden is also a great place to enjoy your beer while viewing all the trains passing by. If you’re into haunted stories, the Brewery also offers Haunted History Tours every April and October, where you can hear Union Station’s paranormal stories while enjoying their famous Apparition Amber!
- Crowd Favorite: Hopness Monster, IPA, 6.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Apparition Amber Ale, Red Ale, 7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: The Brewery accepts table reservations as well as brewery tours.
- Fun Fact: The Brewery opened in 2006 and became the first brewpub and restaurant in Erie, Pennsylvania.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 11:30am-9pm, Fri & Sat 11:30am-11pm, Sun Closed
Address: 123 W 14th St, Erie, PA 16501
3. Erie Ale Works
Erie Ale Works is a microbrewery founded by homebrewers who decided to make their hobby a career. The brewery is a garage converted into a brewery and tasting room with an open-air feel. Since the brewmasters are also bartenders, you can catch them serving their beers at the bar if they’re not busy brewing! They only offer a few beers, but they’re popular because of their unique flavor combinations. They often have food trucks parked outside, selling tasty snacks along with your beer. Because of its laidback vibe and proximity to several other bars and restaurants, Erie Ale Works is a popular hangout spot for local college students and tourists alike.
- Crowd Favorite: Tattooed Lady, Blonde Ale, 5.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Nexus of the Universe, IPA, 6.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Erie Ale Works has carry-out and curbside pick-up.
- Fun Fact: As one way of giving back to the community, Erie Ale Works hosts non-profit organizations to raise money for a cause through their Benevolent Beers program.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 3pm-10pm, Fri 3pm-12am, Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon & Tue Closed
Address: 416 W 12th St, Erie, PA 16501
4. Lavery Brewing Company
Ranked as one of the top 3 breweries in Erie, Pennsylvania (breweriestar.com), Lavery Brewing is a microbrewery with big brews! Located in downtown Erie, this Brewery features an intimate taproom with a laid-back neighborhood vibe. Even though Lavery is just a small brewery, they offer a wide selection of beer styles (more than a dozen) available, from innovative ales to playful pastry stout! With exciting events and weekly live music, this Brewery has become a hotspot for friends and families to gather and unwind. They also offer a full bar and serve delicious food.
- Crowd Favorite: Dulachan IPA, 5.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Ulster Breakfast Stout, 7.1% ABV.
Hours: Open Mon-Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-8pm
Address: 128 W 12th St, Erie, PA 16501
5. Voodoo Brewing Co.
With five breweries across Pennsylvania, Voodoo Brewery is one of the famous breweries not just in Erie but globally. Known for its award-winning and innovative beers and rustic and funky-themed interiors, this Brewery is an expansive global brand. While the previous breweries offered Belgian-style beers, Voodoo got exceptional IPAs. Their barrel-aged beers are also so popular that they always run out whenever they are served on draft. This Brewery has plenty of entertainment events such as yoga, trivia, and Voodoo Bingo, but their Good Vibes Beer Fest is one to look forward to. With its expansive indoor and outdoor seating, this Brewery offers a perfect place for events like weddings, private parties, and dinners.
- Crowd Favorite: Astro Vibes, IPA, 6.9% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: They’re Good Hops Brent, IPA, 6.6% ABV.
- Fun Fact: Voodoo Brewing Company offers a franchise for beer enthusiasts who want to own Voodoo brewpubs.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 12pm-10pm, Fri 12pm-12am, Sat 11am-12am, Sun 11am-6pm, Mon & Tue Closed
Address: 101 Boston Store Pl, Erie, PA 16501
6. Nostrovia Brewing Company
Honoring the founder’s Polish heritage, Nostrovia Brewing brews great European beers on the east side of downtown Erie. It features an old warehouse-style brewery and taproom with large windows that give off a welcoming vibe. Though this Brewery offers classic beer styles, they provide a neighborhood hangout spot for those who want to enjoy traditional and unpretentious beers. Aside from beers, they also serve hard cider and hard seltzer. Foods are also available in the taproom, with different choices every day.
- Crowd Favorite: Oatmeal Stout, 5.3% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Blueberry Wheat, Wheat Beer, 4.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: You can purchase the famous Spartan Gourmet Coffee Bags in the taproom.
- Fun Fact: Nostrovia Brewing’s name refers to the Polish word “Na zdrowie,” which means cheers!
Hours: Open Wed 4pm-9pm, Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 3pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-7pm, Mon & Tue Closed
Address: 4415 E Lake Rd, Erie, PA 16511
7. Black Monk Brewery
Experience the Monk Nation and its famous Belgian-style beers! In West Erie, Black Monk Brewery features a modest and classic taproom with a wide selection of beers from Belgian styles to refreshing IPAs. Their Hefeweizen is one of the most notable beers that every Belgian beer lover should not miss. However, Black Monk focuses on producing tasty beers and doesn’t serve food in the taproom. But don’t worry, as Black Monk hosts regular food trucks plus free popcorn. With live music and entertainment, this Brewery has become another Erie favorite. Make sure to come by on Wednesday and Friday for their happy hour, and they will serve pints only for $1!
- Crowd Favorite: Hoards of Hops, IPA, 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Angry Cock, Scottish Ale, 7.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Black Monk is a dog-friendly brewery.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 5pm-10pm, Fri 4pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon & Tue Closed
Address: 3721 W 12th St, Erie, PA 16505