Metro Detroit has been known for its craft beer since Prohibition. Today, more than a dozen creative and innovative breweries continue to make every sip even more savory than the last. Leading Michigan’s craft beer scene, one drink at a time.
Whether you’re visiting breweries in downtown Detroit or admiring the wall art at Eastern Market, there’s something for everyone in this Motor City. Enjoy your beer hopping adventure with 11 of the best breweries in Detroit!
1. Batch Brewing Company
If beer makes you happy, Batch Brewing is delighted to welcome you! Batch Brewing Company is a favorite neighborhood spot offering an industrial-style taproom with family-friendly communal seating as one of the prominent names in Detroit’s craft beer scene. This brewery brews small batches of fantastic beer and tasty foods from restaurant pop-ups, including Taqueria El Rey, on Mondays and Tuesdays.
The Fauci Fieldhouse, this brewery, has become a neighborhood favorite, offering a cozy and welcoming outdoor porch. Take a sip of their flagship brews, and don’t forget to try their Nachos!
- Crowd Favorite: American Pale Ale, 5.2% ABV. A fresh and unfiltered American Pale Ale with citrus stone fruit and notes of pine.
- Highly Recommended: West Coast IPA, 5.8% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: A dog-friendly brewery
- Fun Fact: Batch Brewing was initially built as a disco hall and then converted into a restaurant where the Tigers hung out.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 11am-6pm.
Address: 1400 Porter St, Detroit, MI 48216
Contact: (313) 338-8008 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Eastern Market Brewing Co.
Located in a historic district of Detroit, this brewery offers a place where locals and tourists can enjoy good beer and excellent city views. With plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, a porch, and garage-style windows that can be rolled up during nice Detroit weather, this brewery offers visitors a bright and airy experience.
Eastern Market Brewing serves craft beer that is locally sourced to ensure fresh and tasty beers and to help the community. Although they don’t serve food, they allow bringing outside food or ordering from neighborhood restaurants and having it delivered. Just ask the staff for the best recommendations!
- Crowd Favorite: Elephant Juice, IPA, 7.2% ABV. A hoppy New England IPA with a refreshing citrus and passion fruit taste.
- Highly Recommended: Jumbo Juice IPA, 9% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: All seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis. They don’t accept table reservations.
Hours: Open Tue 12pm-10pm, Wed & Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 12pm-10pm, Sat 10am-10pm, Sun 11am-6pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 2515 Riopelle St, Detroit, MI 48207
Contact: (313) 513-2200 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Founders Brewing Co.
Known for its annual “Founders Fest,” a celebration of tasty craft beers, music, and community, Founders Brewing is another old name in Detroit’s craft brewing scene. This brewery features an industrial-style high-ceiling brewery, taproom, and plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, offering a cozy, warm neighborhood vibe.
With unique events and community gatherings, Founders Brewing has also become a favorite entertainment hotspot. If you want some private space for your crew, book their Barrel Room, a cave-inspired room that offers a bar with nine beers on taps, plus delicious foods.
- Crowd Favorite: All Day IPA, 4.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Breakfast Stout, 8.3% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Founders Brewing is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Make sure to add your name to the waiting list through the yelp app.
- Fun Fact: Founders Brewing Co. hosted the first “Madrid International Beer and Music Fest” in 2018 and launched their year-round beer “Solid Gold”!
Hours: Open Tue-Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 11am-10pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 456 Charlotte St, Detroit, MI 48201
Contact: (313) 335-3440 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Atwater Brewery
Having a delicious cold beer at Atwater Brewery is the best way to cool off on a hot sunny day! Boasting their chic rooftop Biergarten overlooking the majestic Detroit River, this brewery features an old, bricked building with a classic and old-world vibe. They specialize in crafting traditional German-style beers with their imported Kasper Schultz brew house.
Aside from the rooftop patio with a stunning view of Detroit’s skyline, they also offer plenty of indoor seating and private space, which is perfect for intimate events like weddings, family dinners, and business meetings.
- Crowd Favorite: Vanilla Java Porter, 5% ABV. A delicious coffee Porter with sweet vanilla flavors.
- Highly Recommended: Dirty Blonde, Wheat Beer, 4.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Brewery tour is now available
- Fun Fact: Atwater Brewery’s brewer machine is imported from Germany and is made by Kasper Schultz, the world’s oldest brewing equipment specialist.
Hours: Open Mon-Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-8pm.
Address: 237 Jos Campau, Detroit, MI 48207
Contact: (313) 877-9502 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Saucy Brew Works
The newest addition to Detroit’s craft beer scene- Saucy Brew Works! This microbrewery and coffeehouse offer tasty cold beers, signature thin crust pizza, and excellent coffee. They feature a 5,700 square-foot industrial-style brewery, a bright and airy taproom with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, floor-to-ceiling windows for a more modern look, and of course, their signature SAUCY lights. With the brewery’s approximate distance from Ford Field, this would be an excellent spot for before and after-game celebrations and events. If you pass by during the daytime, don’t worry, their fine coffee will surely be a great alternative to beer.
- Crowd Favorite: Juicy Asap IPA, 6.5% ABV. A crisp and refreshing IPA with notes of ripe mango.
- Highly Recommended: Stealing Signs IPA, 6% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Saucy Brew Works is accepting cryptocurrencies through Bitpay.
- Fun Fact: Detroit’s Brewery and Coffeehouse is the 4th location of Saucy Brew Works, which started its brewing journey in 2017.
Hours: Open Sun-Wed 7am-10pm, Thur 7am-11pm, Fri & Sat 7am-12am.
Address: 2671 John R St, Detroit, MI 48201
Contact: (734) 926-8933 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Motor City Brewing Co.
Motor City Brewing can be the perfect summer destination for you! This match made in Detroit offers pizza and beer and is famous for its handcrafted beer and brick oven pizza. The brewpub features a classic taproom with communal seating and a warm, welcoming, and laid-back vibe. With its relaxing rooftop patio and outdoor porch, another summer destination in Detroit. Are you looking for other options? They also offer craft cocktails, wines, hard ciders, and non-alcoholic drinks!
- Crowd Favorite: Ghettoblaster Ale, 3.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Indian Pale Ale, 6.9% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Dogs are only allowed on the outdoor patio.
- Fun Fact: Motor City Brewing Company is the oldest craft brewery in Detroit.
Hours: Open Mon-Wed 11am-10pm, Thur 11am-11pm, Fri & Sat 11am-12am, Sun 12pm-10pm.
Address: 470 W Canfield St, Detroit, MI 48201
Contact: (313) 832-2700 | Facebook | Instagram
7. Brew Detroit Brewery
Brew Detroit Brewery is a consistent contender for the best Detroit breweries, boasting their famous farm-to-table foods sourced from local farms and markets in Michigan and a 68,000-square-foot brewery and gathering spaces. Not only does this brewery serve fresh farmhouse dishes but also tasty, crafted beers. Bre Detroit serves 30 flowing beers on tap, and this Corktown watering hole offers a large selection of beers from lagers, ales, sours, and stout nitro options. This brewery features an industrial taproom with plenty of indoor seating, 25,000 square feet, and an open loft space with darts, a pool, and board games!
- Crowd Favorite: Cloud 19 IPA, 7% ABV. A heavy and hazy Indian Pale Ale with refreshing tropical fruit flavors.
- Highly Recommended: Cerveza Delray, Lager, 4.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Brewery tour is available every Thursday and Friday.
- Fun Fact: Brew Detroit is also a contract brewery, the largest in Michigan, which offers its equipment to aspirants to start their brew.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 4pm-12am, Sat 1pm-2am, Sun 1pm-8pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 1401 Abbott St, Detroit, MI 48216
Contact: (313) 344-7185 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
8. Brewery Faisan
Opening its doors in 2019 to the Islandview neighborhood, Brewery Faisan is the newest addition to Metro Detroit’s craft beer scene. Specializing in Belgian-style beer, they offer an eclectic selection of wheat beer, Saison, coffee stouts, and IPAs. This brewery features a massive warehouse-style building with a 9,000 square-foot high ceiling taproom offering plenty of indoor seating, a full bar, and an outdoor patio during nice weather. Aside from serving tasty brews, Brewery Faisan also connects the community by hosting events like Beer Run 5K and Wayne Alumnus Networking Night.
- Crowd Favorite: Periphery, Farmhouse Ale, 7% ABV. A clean and crisp classic raspberry Farmhouse Ale.
- Highly Recommended: King Eider, Belgian Dubbel, 7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Parking is available onsite.
- Fun Fact: This brewery got its name from the Pheasants, a type of bird that Detroit is known for. Faisan is a French term for Pheasants.
Hours: Open Thur & Fri 4pm-11pm, Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-6pm, Mon-Wed Closed.
Address: 1087 Beaufait St, Detroit, MI 48207
Contact: (313) 290-2897 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
9. Lagerhaus No. 5 Brewery
Reminiscing a traditional German-style brewpub and Hungarian food flavors, Lagerhaus No. 5 Brewery is a microbrewery that features a Market-style Beer Hall in the heart of Eastern Market Detroit. Lagerhouse also features a warehouse-style taproom, full bar, and garage door that can be rolled up to give a bright and airy atmosphere during nice weather. This brewery also serves approachable and tasty small batches of beer brewed on-site and from guest taps. Visit with your friend or make new ones with their side-by-side style seating and live music!
- Crowd Favorite: No 5 Pale Ale, 6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Porter, 6% ABV.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 3pm-9pm, Fri 3pm-10pm, Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 12pm-7pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 1529 Adelaide St, Detroit, MI 48207
Contact: (313) 285-9350 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
10. Jolly Pumpkin Brewery
Looking for a fun and quirky brewery with artisanal ales around Detroit? Check out Jolly Pumpkin. With eight breweries and taprooms across Michigan, Jolly Pumpkin is a brewery hard to miss! Located in the bustling Midtown Detroit, this brewery features a modern industrial building with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, large windows, and a fantastic taproom offering a funky, cozy atmosphere. From barrel-aged beer selections, handcrafted cocktails, and American pub grub, they have everything a beer lover is looking for! Don’t forget to try their pizza and truffle fries, and pair them with your favorite beer.
- Crowd Favorite: Oro de Calabaza, Belgian Ale, 8% ABV. A traditional Belgian Strong Ale.
- Highly Recommended: Diabolical IPA, 6.66% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Jolly Pumpkin offers a vegan-friendly beer.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 11am-10pm, Fri & Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 12pm-8pm.
Address: 441 W Canfield St #9, Detroit, MI 48201
Contact: (313) 262-6115 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
11. Detroit Beer Company
Located in the historic Hartz Building in downtown Detroit, this locally acclaimed brewery is a favorite hangout of Tiger fans for pre-and post-game events. Featuring a two-story industrial taproom with old-world feel indoor seating, modern decors, and interior design, this brewery exudes a classic and warm vibe.
The first part of the building houses the brewery and taproom with plenty of seating. On the second floor, the other hand, the second floor consists of a bar and dining space. This brewery offers 7 to 9 beers on taps and specializes in IPAs, classic beer styles, ciders, and hard seltzers. Aside from their tasty brew, they also offer a full-course restaurant that serves delicious foods.
- Crowd Favorite: The Detroit Dwarf, 5.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Local 1529 IPA, 6.7% ABV.
- Fun Fact: Detroit Beer Company offers a Birthday Club where members can receive discounts, loyalty rewards, and exclusive events.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 11am-11pm, Fri & Sat 11am-12pm, Sun 12pm-10pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 1529 Broadway St, Detroit, MI 48226
Contact: (313) 962-1529 | Facebook | Instagram | Website