As the host city of two major beer festivals- Charleston Beer Fest and Charleston Beer Week, it’s undeniable that Charleston is the ultimate beer destination in the South. Home to over 30 flourishing craft breweries, this city draws an increasing number of beer lovers, enthusiasts, and tourists each year. With the myriad of different styles, cultures, and creativity in crafting beer, this Lowcountry always has something for everyone to enjoy.
If you’re searching for organic or unique beers, a riverside setting or maybe a rooftop view, Charleston breweries will have you covered. Check out our list of the top 13 breweries in Charleston that you should visit right now!
1. Holy City Brewery
This brewery is perfect for you who is looking for an ultimate beer experience! Boasting a 20,000 square-feet warehouse-type brewery and tasting room, acres of backyard space with an outdoor stage, a porter room, and event space, Holy City got everything a beer lover could ask for! Choose from their specialized American porter-style beer, lagers, ale, and IPAs and feast on their fresh and delicious food in their in-house kitchen. You can also bring your crew and have fun with their game room with vintage arcade games, pool tables, a Super Nintendo System television, and a photo booth!
- Crowd Favorite: Pluff Mud Porter, 5.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Overly Friendly IPA, 6.9% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Due to the large crowd gathering and for the safety of everyone, dogs (except service dogs) are not allowed inside the brewery.
- Fun Fact: Holy City’s customized 15-gallon all-grain system, assembled from beer kegs and bicycle parts, is still operational and can be seen in the brewery.
Hours: Open Sun – Thu: 11am – 10pm，Fri & Sun: 11am – 11pm.
Address: 1021 Aragon Ave, North Charleston, SC 29405
Contact: (843) 459-2948 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Palmetto Brewery
A family-owned and pioneering craft brewery in South Carolina that stands the different challenges of time, including hurricanes, earthquakes, saloons, and even Prohibition. Palmetto Brewery is another Charleston favorite that features an old and classic taproom with plenty of indoor seating and a courtyard that hosts concerts, live music, and private events. With 14 beers on tap, you can choose a different style from their eclectic collection, from their flagship Amber Ale to hop-forward IPAs. Register in their Speakeasy program and enjoy their small batches of craft brews only available at their Speakeasy taproom.
- Crowd Favorite: Huger Street IPA, 7.2% ABV. A subtle American IPA with citrus and caramel flavor.
- Highly Recommended: Amber Ale, 5.8% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Palmetto has a kitchen that serves mouth-watering burgers and other pub fare foods. They also offer VIP brewery tours!
- Fun Fact: The founder’s windsurfing trip to Oregon is the reason for Palmetto Brewery’s existence after the Prohibition.
Hours: Open Mon – Sat: 12pm – 10pm，Sun: 12pm – 8pm.
Address: 289 Huger St, Charleston, SC 29403
Contact: (843) 937-0903 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Revelry Brewing
Treat yourself to a cold beer and watch the fantastic view of the North Morrison on their rooftop bar. Located in downtown Charleston, this Revelry Brewing features an industrial-style taproom with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, a full bar, and a restaurant, offering a welcoming and cozy atmosphere with a picturesque view. Have a taste of their superb selection of beers, from classic to unique brews, and pair it with their finger-licking foods. If you have spare time, participate in their brewery tour to have a front seat to the brewing process and enjoy some of their best beer on flights.
- Crowd Favorite: Lefty Loosey IPA, 7.7% ABV. A dry and crisp West Coast IPA.
- Highly Recommended: Never Sunny, New England Style IPA, 7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Check out Revelry brewing’s page for brewery tour schedules.
Hours: Open Sun – Thur: 12pm – 10pm，Fri & Sat: 12pm – 11pm.
Address: 10 Conroy St, Charleston, SC 29403
Contact: (843) 376-1303 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Munkle Brewing Co.
Inspired by the founder’s uncle, a monk, who passed down his knowledge and passion for crafting beer with monastic tradition, Munkle Brewing offers good beer and a good time. Located in downtown Charleston, this brewery not only offers a twist on classic and modern beer flavors but is also an excellent place for relaxation and games. You can have fun in their indoor and outdoor bar, playing board games and billiards, or relax on their rocking chairs and have a cold beer. Aside from indoor seating, they have an expansive outdoor patio with a fire pit to keep you warm during chilly months.
- Crowd Favorite: Brugge City Brune, 6.2% ABV. A toasty Belgian Ale with a dry finish.
- Highly Recommended: Gully Washer Wit, Wheat Bear,5.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Munkle Brewing doesn’t serve food and beer flights.
- Fun Fact: Munkle is a short term for “Monk + Uncle,” which refers to the founder’s uncle.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur: 2pm – 9pm，Fri & Sat: 1pm – 9pm, Sun: 1pm – 8pm.
Address: 1513 Meeting Street Rd, Charleston, SC 29405
Contact: (843) 789-3109 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Frotty Beard Brewery
Bringing unadulterated fun to Charleston’s craft beer scene, Frotty Beard Brewery features massive indoor seating, a full bar, and an outdoor patio, offering a cozy and welcoming vibe with flowing 32 beers on taps. They are also a kid-friendly brewery with colorful murals packed with children’s games like puzzles, blocks, and more! With exciting events lining up every week, there is always something to look forward to. Spend a lovely day with family and friends and share a pint or two, delicious food, and good conversation.
- Crowd Favorite: Sip Sip Pass IPA, 6.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: ¡Ándale! Pale Ale, Chili Beer, 5.3% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Frotty Beard has an in-house Zombie Bob’s Pizza, which offers delicious New York-style pizza.
- Fun Fact: J. R. R. Tolkien’s character is Frotty Beard’s inspiration for their name.
Hours: Open Sun – Wed 11:30am – 9pm，Thur – Sun: 11:30am – 10pm.
Address: 1401 Sam Rittenberg Blvd, Charleston, SC 29407
Contact: (843) 872-4201 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Freehouse Brewery
Escape the bustling city and enjoy the tranquil vibe and relaxing atmosphere of Freehouse Brewery. Located along the banks of Ashley River, this brewery offers an expansive outdoor space perfect for a family picnic and community gatherings. With their aim of being one with nature, this brewery also offers a natural and organic beer free from chemicals and pesticides. Choose from their traditional lager to hop forward IPAs, and barrel-aged beers to quench your thirst and pair it with delicious foods from rotating food trucks. Bring your crew, stop by on the weekend and enjoy a beer with nature.
- Crowd Favorite: Green Door Organic IPA, 6.2% ABV. AN organic American IPA with grassy and citrus flavor and aroma.
- Highly Recommended: Ashley Farmhouse Ale, 6.3% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Freehouse brewery is a certified dog-friendly brewery.
- Fun Fact: Freehouse Brewery is the only USDA-certified organic brewery in South Carolina.
Hours: Open Tue – Thur 2pm – 8pm，Fri 2pm-9pm, Sat 12pm-9pm, Sun 12pm-6pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 2895 Pringle St B, North Charleston, SC 29405
Contact: Facebook | Instagram | Website
7. Fatty’s Beer Works
Fatty’s Beer Works promises quality beer, great music, and good times to its loyal Charleston patrons, creating a place where people can enjoy and relax and, of course, taste their creative beer. This brewery has a warehouse-style taproom with indoor and plenty of outdoor seating and a stage for live music. They specialize in brewing sours and IPAs and are known for their flagship Lazy Hazy IPA and First Shot. With its weekly music events and family-friendly atmosphere, this brewery has become a local favorite that might not get a seat if you’re not early!
- Crowd Favorite: Lazy Hazy IPA, 7.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: First Shot, American IPA, 5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Fatty’s Beer Works offers snacks daily and rotating food trucks every Saturday.
- Fun Fact: Fatty’s Beer Works got its name from the owner and head brewer’s nickname “Fatty.”
Hours: Open Mon – Thur: 4pm – 9pm，Fri: 4pm-10pm, Sat: 12pm-10pm, Sun: 12pm – 6pm.
Address: 1436 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29405
Contact: (843) 974-5330 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
8. Coast Brewing Company
Another must-visit microbrewery in Charleston that offers outdoor space for games and relaxation! Located at the former Charleston Navy Base, Coast Brewing is a family-owned microbrewery that started the modern beer craze for its best-tasting beers. Featuring a massive warehouse-style taproom with spacious indoor seating and an expansive outdoor patio with a view of Ashley River, this brewery has become an attraction site for locals and tourists alike. You can participate in their brewery tour, try their flights, or lounge on their patio to enjoy the cold breeze. This brewery doesn’t serve food, but there’s always tasty food available on rotating food trucks.
- Crowd Favorite: HopARt IPA, 7.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: 32°/50° Kölsch, 4.8% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Coast Brewing doesn’t allow dogs.
Hours: Open Thur & Fri: 4pm – 7pm，Sat – Wed Closed.
Address:1250 2nd St N, North Charleston, SC 29405
Contact: (843) 343-4727 | Instagram | Website
9. Commonhouse Aleworks
This brewery has been producing uncommonly good beer since 2018. Located in the Park Circle Garden community, it’s very accessible to the community by biking, walking, or pushing trolleys. Featuring a rustic and cozy taproom with plenty of indoor seating and an outside patio with picnic tables, Commonhouse Aleworks is another family-friendly space in Charleston. You can enjoy outdoor activities and play games while enjoying a cold beer. They offer a great beer selection from their flagship, core beers, seasonal and limited brews. If you got hungry, try their Tot-chos and soft giant pretzel, you indeed love it!
- Crowd Favorite: Park Circle Pale, 5.5% ABV. An American Pale Ale with orange marmalade and tropical fruit flavors with the right amount of bitterness.
- Highly Recommended: Wise One Wheat Beer, 5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: This brewery also offers wines, cocktails, spirits, and non-alcoholic drinks.
Hours: Open Tue & Wed 4pm – 9pm, Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 11:30am–10pm, Sun 11am-9pm, Mon Closed.
Address:4831 O’Hear Ave, North Charleston, SC 29405
Contact: (843) 471-1400 | facebook | Instagram | Website
10. Edmund’s Oast Brewing Co. and Taproom
With three establishments open in Charleston (Restaurant and Brewpub, Brewery and Taproom, and The Exchange), Edmund’s Oast sets the city’s craft beer standard! All their spaces offer a cozy and warm atmosphere where anyone would love to spend their precious weekends with friends and family. This brewery provides 20 house-brewed beers on taps, wines, cocktails, crawlers, and growlers to go alongside their everyday foods. Choose from their outdoor seating options to enjoy your beer, and they have a patio, an expansive courtyard, and their famous Astroturf field. Check out their Land and Lagers festival and enjoy your whole afternoon tasting all their excellent lagers!
- Crowd Favorite: Bound by Time IPA, 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Something Old Blonde Ale, 5% ABV.
Hours: Open Daily 11am-9pm.
Address: 1505 King St. #115 Charleston, SC 29405
Contact: (843) 718-3224 | facebook | Instagram | Website
11. Charles Towne Fermentory
Charles Towne Fermentory is a local microbrewery in a small garage
in the Avondale neighborhood. Featuring a small but mighty friendly taproom with a laid-back vibe, this brewery is one of the local favorite neighborhood hangouts. They offer a varied selection of small batches of creative brews and a kitchen run by different local chefs, so you can expect rotating tasty foods. They also have a foosball table and pleasant music that are perfect for relaxing while sipping a good pint of beer.
- Crowd Favorite: Sungazer IPA, 6.8% ABV. A hazy IPA with a dry and smooth finish, with mango, citrus, and resin flavor.
- Highly Recommended: Mars Express Pale Ale, 5.8% ABV.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 2pm-9pm, Fri 2pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 11am-7pm.
Address:809 Savannah Hwy, Charleston, SC 29407
Contact: (843) 213-8646 | facebook | Instagram | Website
12. Tradesman’s Brewing
Founded by a husband-and-wife duo who shared a passion for crafting beer, Tradesman’s Brewing is a family-friendly brewery located on King Street Extension. This brewery features an open and airy taproom with expansive seating, which offers an intimate and cozy atmosphere during the evening with its lovely warm string lights. Tradesman offers an eclectic selection of craft brews from hoppy IPA, ales, lagers, Saison, and porter. This brewery is also a hotspot for events like live music and open mic and even accepts reservations for private events.
- Crowd Favorite: Welder’s Agave Wheat, 6.9% ABV. A best-tasting Blueberry fruit beer that will satisfy your cravings.
- Highly Recommended: Brick Layers Ale, 7.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Tradesman’s Brewing has ample parking space available.
Hours: Open Mon- Thur 12pm-8pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-6pm.
Address:1647 King St Ext, Charleston, SC 29405
Contact: (843) 410-1315 | facebook | Instagram | Website
13. LO-Fi Brewing
Despite the mysterious, weird (just like their unicorn design) and minimal details about this brewery, they still rank as one of the best breweries in Charleston to check out. This brewery features a warehouse-style taproom with ample indoor seating and an expansive outdoor patio. You can easily miss it as it’s located beside a car garage. LO-Fi offers limited options of craft beers on tap, but they are undoubtedly tasty and drinkable. They also have live music and sometimes host different events (try your luck, though, as they don’t share a lot on the website).
- Crowd Favorite: Blueberry Wheat, Fruit Beer, 5.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Mexican Lager, 5% ABV.
Hours: Open Tue & Wed 4pm-7pm, Thur & Fri 4pm-9pm, Sat 2pm-9pm, Sun 2pm-6pm, Mon Closed.
Address:2038 Meeting Street Rd, Charleston, SC 29405
Contact: (843) 582-2175 | facebook | Instagram | Website