The city of Flagstaff is one of the places in Arizona that entered the “Brewpub” trend a little late. Its first brewery with an in-house taproom was built in 1994 and instantly became a hit and a local favorite.
Today, the city has several breweries with signature crafts and award-winning brews that are worth trying. Here are 7 of the best breweries you can find in Flagstaff, Arizona, and make sure you drop by!
1. Mother Road Brewing Company
Just like mothers are to their kids, Mother Road is passionate about caring for its community. Rather than just crafting premium beers, Mother Road also partners with non-profit organizations like Arizona Forward that help sustain the environment and improve the community.
Mother Road also makes donations through its beers like the Conserve & Protect Golden Ale, where a portion of its sales will be given to the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Moreover, Mother Road is an advocate of the Arizona Safer Bars Alliance, which helps prevent or at least reduce sexual harassment and aggression in bars, breweries, and the like.
- Crowd Favorite: Tower Station IPA. A hoppy, piney, and unfiltered American IPA with 7.3% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Lost Highway Double Black IPA
- Hop-py Note: Dog-friendly. Good for kids. Offers cans for pours and to-go orders.
- Fun Fact: Mother Road Brewing’s name is derived from Author John Steinbeck’s moniker for Route 66, “the mother road.”
Hours: Open Mon-Fri 2pm-9pm, Sat & Sun 12pm-9pm
2. Historic Brewing Company
Started as a humble brewery in 2013, Historic Brewing grew into a statewide brewery serving two cities. It has successfully established its name as one of the most popular breweries in Flagstaff and has expanded its production throughout the years.
Historic’s hip Barrel + Bottle House in Flagstaff features a cocktail space and a beer taproom. Its cocktail space boasts a full liquor bar highlighting its cocktails and a lounge area for comfy dining. And as for its taproom, the space features 20 beers on tap, a spacious dining area with televisions, and a dog-friendly outdoor patio.
- Crowd Favorite: Piehole Porter. A dark and delicious American porter with 5.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Opposable IPA
- Hop-py Note: Crowlers and cans are available. Vegan and gluten-free food options.
- Fun Fact: Historic Brewing’s Avant-Chard won a silver medal in the Great American Beer Festival in 2016.
Hours: Open Wed-Sun 3pm-8pm, Mon & Tue Closed
3. Dark Sky Brewing Company
Conveniently located in Downtown Flagstaff, Dark Sky has been actively serving the locals with its innovative and fun brews since 2014. Its beers vary from IPAs, bock, ales, sours, and stouts, all brewed with the originality and creativity of head brewer Jordan Gregory.
Dark Sky has two locations in Flagstaff, including a spacious beer garden. Its original location is the DSB Beaver Street Taproom & Pizzicletta kitchen in the historic Route 66, where all its beers are brewed, and gourmet pizzas are served. And for its second location is an expansion on the corner of Birch and Beaver, along with its new DSB beer garden. Here,
- Crowd Favorite: Mountains of Mosaic. A citrusy and heavy-hopped American IPA with 6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Blood of My Enemies
- Hop-py Note:
- Fun Fact: Dark Sky got its name from Flagstaff’s moniker “First International Dark Sky City.”
Hours: Open Thur-Mon 12pm-10pm, Tue & Wed Closed
Address: 117 N Beaver St, Flagstaff, AZ 86001
4. Wanderlust Brewing Company
Visiting Wanderlust Brewing is like exploring a world of distinct beer styles. You can find many German-inspired ales and sours here, as well as Saisons and farmhouse ales. Wanderlust also loves blending American-style beers with innovation and creativity, crafting out-of-the-box brews as a result.
Wanderlust’s taproom has eight regularly rotating taps featuring its flagship, seasonal, and limited brews. You can also find new growlers for you to take home and a flight of four 4oz beers for sampling.
- Crowd Favorite: 928 Local. A drinkable Farmhouse Ale Saison with 8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Pan American Stout
- Hop-py Note: Curbside pickup and online purchases are available. Dog-friendly. Good for kids. Food trucks on site.
Hours: Open Tue-Fri 4pm-9pm, Sat & Sun 2pm-8pm, Mon Closed
5. Grand Canyon Brewing Company
Grand Canyon is one of William’s popular breweries, with a number of awards under its name. It has three active locations in Arizona, and all of them serve several of its award-winning beers.
Grand Canyon’s Flagstaff location is a 5-barrel brewhouse crafting small batches of beers. Its taproom offers 23 taps of beers, including its award-winning Expeditions Wheat. The place also features a family-friendly dining area, a dog-friendly patio, and a full bar showcasing Grand Canyon Distillery’s award-winning spirits. Moreover, it has an indoor recreation and game area where you can have fun while enjoying delicious beers.
- Crowd Favorite: Sunset Amber Ale. A medium-bodied and refreshing American amber/red ale with 5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: American Pilsner
- Hop-py Note: Serves pub fare menu.Indoor and outdoor seating.
- Fun Fact: Grand Canyon Brewing has fourteen award-winning beers and eleven award-winning spirits.
Hours: Open Daily 11am-10pm
6. Beaver Street Brewery
Beaver Street is the very first brewpub in Flagstaff, owned by couple Winnie and Evan Hanseth. It officially opened its doors in March 1994, and since then, Beaver Street has earned numerous recognition and awards for its delicious crafts.
Today, Beaver Street offers a casual dining experience for everyone, especially for the whole family. Aside from its freshly brewed beer, the brewery also serves quality food fare as well as fresh-from-the-garden salads. Moreover, for more dining options, the brewery opened a temporary dog-friendly outdoor patio.
- Crowd Favorite: R & R Oatmeal Stout. A rich and dark stout with 6.4% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Red Rock Raspberry Ale
- Hop-py Note: Happy hour specials. Gift cards. Parking lot and free parking available.
- Fun Fact: Beaver Street and LumberYard Brewing are sister breweries, both owned by Winnie and Evan.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 11:30am-9pm, Fri & Sat 11:30am-10pm
7. LumberYard Brewing Company
Since 2010, LumberYard has been operating in the heart of Flagstaff, serving the locals its award-winning brews. Four of its beers, including the famous Flagstaff IPA, have won several awards from national beer competitions. And all of these are available in its taproom, which features 12 taps, including seasonal and experimental brews.
LumberYard is a local favorite acting as a community hub that builds great relationships through its tasty American menu and fresh brews. LumberYard is also active in joining beer festivals such as “Okto-Beer-Fest” and beer competitions.
- Crowd Favorite: Flagstaff IPA. A heavy-bodied American IPA with 6.1% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Railhead Red
- Hop-py Note: Occasional events. Sells merchandise. Indoor and outdoor seating. Curbside pickup and delivery are available.
- Fun Fact: LumberYard is housed in the historical Halstead Lumberyard Building, hence the name of the brewery.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 11:30am-10pm, Fri-Sun 11am-10pm