It is good to note that there are many fun things to do in Buffalo, New York. But one thing you shouldn’t miss when you visit here is to go around the best breweries in the area. It will be worth the while since the brewery scene in Buffalo started 200 years ago. Imagine centuries of expertise passed down from generation to generation as you sip your pint of ice-cold beer.
So if brewery hopping is included in your bucket list as you visit here, below is the carefully handpicked list of best breweries in Buffalo.
1. Resurgence Brewing Company
“To experience great beer” is the mission of Resurgence. And they definitely live up to this as their Ice Boom Bock and Cucumber Saison both won bronze medals at the 2017 Best of Craft Beer Awards held in Bend, Oregon.
Jeff Ware established Resurgence in June of 2017. It initially welcomed its first customers on Niagara Street, but it is now operating on Chicago St. The new location has a two-story taproom and an indoor and outdoor beer garden overlooking the brewery. In this very relaxing ambiance, you can enjoy your beer with nice food as it offers full dining. Resurgence also opens in Delaware Park during summer through an outdoor beer garden.
- Crowd Favorite: Resurgence IPA. A citrusy American IPA with pine and resin kick and contains 7.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: CitMo IPA
- Hop-py Note: Non-alcoholic options. Dog-friendly patio. Smoking-free establishment.
- Fun Fact: Resurgence conducts Hop Class on various dates facilitated by their own brew team.
Hours: Open Tues & Wed 12pm – 10pm, Thur 12pm – 11pm, Fri 12pm – 12am, Sat 11am – 12am, Sun 11am – 8pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 55 Chicago St, Buffalo, NY 14204
Contact: (716)768-6018 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Thin Man Brewery
If you hate boring and stagnant beers, Thin Man may be the best one for you. It was founded in 2016 by a Buffalo-native resident who aims to be innovative. Thin Man makes collaborations with breweries around the world to create unique tasting beers. Recently, it partnered with a meadery in Arizona to make a beer with a unique ingredient– honey.
Thin Man’s taproom is very spacious. It also has a nice patio and roof deck, sheltered by brightly colored umbrellas. When you get hungry, a variety of food will be ready to fill you up. Appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and wings are ready to be served in their kitchen.
- Crowd Favorite: Minky Boodle. A sour, fruity ale with 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Trial by Wombat
- Hop-py Note: Live music. Board games. Sells merchandise and kegs.
- Fun Fact: Thin Man is the only brewery in the historic Elmwood Village
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 4pm – 11pm, Fri 3pm – 1am, Sat 11am – 1am, Sun 11am – 10pm.
Address: 492 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14222
Contact: (716)923-4100 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Big Ditch Brewing Company
Big Ditch started operating in October 2015. It was founded by Matt Kahn, Corey Catalano, and Wes Froebel. The owners designed the taproom in a spacious way. And when we say spacious, we mean that it can accommodate more than 150 people.
At any time your tummy growls as you drink your cold Big Ditch beer, their food menu is readily available to serve you. It has a wide range of foods like those of small plates and entrées. Lastly, do you want to visit with your family? Good news for you as Big Ditch puts up a special menu for children, so feel free to bring your little ones.
- Crowd Favorite: Hayburner. A soft, airy IPA containing 7.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Deep Cut
- Hop-py Note: Kid-friendly. Online ordering. Non-alcoholic options. Street and garage parking.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 11am – 10pm, Fri 11am – 12am, Sat 12pm – 12am, Sun 10am – 8pm.
Address: 55 E Huron St, Buffalo, NY 14203
Contact: (716)854-5050 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Community Beer Works
Everyone loves a community-driven brewery, and Community Beer Works receive all the love it deserves. CBW is a microbrewery serving award-winning beers while giving back to the community since 2012. They even collaborate with different breweries like Big Ditch and Resurgence for crafting limited edition brews.
Community Beer Works’ taproom features over ten amazing taps of unique beers and more than 20 beers available in cans. You can also pair their brews with their in-house gourmet fare made with the freshest ingredients from local farms. Moreover, CBW offers home delivery and pick-up; you can place your order online on their website.
- Crowd Favorite: The Whale. A smooth and aromatic brown ale with 5.9% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: That IPA
- Hoppy Note: Indoor and outdoor seating. Street and private lot parking. Vegetarian options are available.
- Fun Fact: Community Beer Works’ Let’s Go Pils beer won awards in ‘Packaging – Single’ for the 2019 Ballpark Brewers Series.
Hours: Open Thur 3pm – 10pm, Fri 3pm – 12am, Sat 12pm – 12am, Sun 11am – 8pm.
Address: 520 7th St, Buffalo, NY 14201
Contact: (716)388-2664 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Froth Brewing Company
Froth Brewing is a microbrewery owned by skilled homebrewer Jesse McLaughlin and brothers Eli and Travis Hale. Froth specializes in brewing complex ales, sours, and stouts. You can enjoy these delicately brewed beers in its art-decorated taproom. If you enjoy art, it would be impossible to hate music. You will surely enjoy staying here as Froth presents live music on various dates, and most of the night, they play wonderful music in the hip hop genre.
Still not enticed enough? How about football games showing when you drink? Froth owners are football fans, so whenever there is a match, all TVs are turned on for some tension.
- Crowd Favorite: Juice Life. An IPA brewed from double-dried hop with 6.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Pillow Top
- Hoppy Note: Live music. Sells merchandise. Private lot parking.
- Fun Fact: Froth enjoys turning sweet ingredients into sour beers like beers made from a liquid lollipop, granola, and marble cheesecake.
Hours: Open Wed 4pm – 9pm, Thur 4pm – 10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm -11pm, Sun 12pm – 6pm, Mon & Tues Closed.
Address: 700 Military Rd, Buffalo, NY 14216
Contact: (716)783-8060 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Buffalo Riverworks Brewing Co.
So, you want some adventure while having your beer? Okay, we heard you. Riverworks carries all the fun in its name. It enjoys being in front of Buffalo River and offers numerous exciting activities. The establishment’s interior is jam-packed with features like a 5,000-person concert venue, roller derby track, martial arts dojo, four bars, and a restaurant. It also has a pavilion outside overlooking the beautiful lake below.
Riverworks offers zip lining, kayaking, rope coursing, and roller skating for some sweaty activities. If you get tired from all the adventure, you can replenish your energy again with a full-course meal and, of course, Riverwork’s cold beer.
- Crowd Favorite: Rejuvenator. A hazy New England IPA with 6.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Wheeler Wheat
- Hoppy Note: Live music. Private event rentals. Smoking-free establishment.
- Fun Fact: Riverworks’ brewery is inside a grain silo retrofitted by engineers to be a fully functioning brewery.
Hours: Open Sun – Thur 11am – 10pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 11pm.
Address: 359 Ganson St, Buffalo, NY 14203
Contact: (716)342-2292 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
7. Flying Bison Brewing Company
Flying Bison is a packaging brewery founded in 2000. Its owner, Tim Herzog, has 30 years of expertise in brewing, making the glass of every beer taste like a masterpiece.
For art lovers, you can list Flying Bison on your breweries to visit. It has an art gallery in its taproom called “Flight Gallery,” featuring the local artists of Buffalo. On every second Monday of the month, a live musician in his quartet also performs. And on various dates, live bands noises up the taproom. Want something to munch while drinking? Food trucks are available every Tuesday at Flying Bison.
- Crowd Favorite: Rusty Chain. A light Vienna lager with 5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Buffalo Kolsch 716
- Hoppy Note: Food trucks on-site. Bike and street parking.
- Fun Fact: Flying Bison offers brewery tours every Thursday and Saturday.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 4pm – 8pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 8pm, Sun – Tues Closed.
Address: 840 Seneca St, Buffalo, NY 14210
Contact: (716)873-1557 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
8. Belt Line Brewery & Kitchen
Co-owned by three friends, Belt Line is a brewery in the Larkin District offering tasty beers and ciders. The beers here are crafted by the head brewer, Erik Greiner, a skilled and experienced brewer. Erik has a love for classic beers, so you will find robust lagers and light pilsners here. You can also taste some of their guest ciders on tap or have a flight of four 7oz beers.
Reviewing the place, Belt Line has an inviting taproom. It has a nice covered patio outside that can serve the customers rain or shine. Enjoying watching football over your beer? They play football matches on 4 of their TVs in full volume.
- Crowd Favorite: First Loop. A fruity, soft mouth-feel New England IPA with 7.4% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Double Jusey
- Hoppy Note: Cans to-go are available. Offers crowlers. Online ordering.
- Fun Fact: The brewery’s name came from Buffalo’s Belt Line Railroad.
Hours: Open Tues – Thur 3pm – 11pm, Fri & Sat 12pm – 12am, Sun 11:30am – 8pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 545 Swan St, Buffalo, NY 14204
Contact: (716)402-1756 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
9. Pressure Drop Brewery
Founded in 2017, Pressure Drop knows who to focus on serving: craft beer enthusiasts and local drinkers. To achieve this, Pressure Drop makes constant collaborations. It aims to bring out the best and unique beers to its customers.
Pressure Drop is also hunted by customers for its good food as it serves freshly cooked hearty dishes along with its ice-cold beers. You can also partner your beers with good laughs as Pressure Drop hosts weekly trivia nights and happy hour specials. Moreover, relax for a cool breeze or warm sun rays on the brewery’s outdoor patio while enjoying a flight.
- Crowd Favorite: Sticky Trees. An American IPA containing 6.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Buck Star.
- Hoppy Note: Dog-friendly patio. Trivia Nights.
- Fun Fact: Pressure Drop got its name from the pressure changes when beer is transferred from one tank to another.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 4pm – 11pm, Fri 3pm – 11pm, Sat 11am – 11pm, Sun 11am – 7pm, Mon & Tues Closed.
Address: 1672 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14207
Contact: (716)551-0019 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
10. Lafayette Brewing Co
Ready for some classy and high-class brewery? Lafayette is located inside the historical Hotel @ the Lafayette. The brewing process happens in the basement of the facility. It has a uniquely designed dining room and taproom, connected by two large bars.
Besides its unique brews, Lafayette’s taproom also offers restaurant-quality food, so grab a fare even if you came for the beer. Moreover, the brewery offers happy hour party packages for groups where you can pick a food bundle for up to 30 people and save money by choosing a package.
- Crowd Favorite: Terminator Dry Hopped IPA. An earthy and citrusy American IPA with 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Roosevelt Red
- Hoppy Note: Open for private event rentals. Kid-friendly. Occasional live music.
- Fun Fact: Lafayette has a game room. Pinball, shuffleboard, and pool are being played there.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 11am – 9pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 11pm, Sun 10am – 9pm, Mon & Tues Closed.
Address: 391 Washington St, Buffalo, NY 14203
Contact: (716)856-0062 | Facebook | Instagram | Website