Table of Contents
The brewing history of Omaha, NE, dates back to 1859 when Frederick Krug, a German immigrant, started a brewery in modern-day Benson. This paved the way for the local breweries to take center stage and lead the craft beer scene of Nebraska.
Being dubbed as the most hungover city in 2013, Omaha simply demonstrates how alive the local beer landscape is, and it is undeniably true that in today’s day and age, local craft beer makers can be found in almost all corners of the city. To help you choose the right brewpub that suits your taste and make the best memorable experience out of your visit, we’ve come up with a list of some of the best breweries that the city of Omaha has to offer.
1. Zipline Brewing Co.
We begin the list strong with the brewer that was built because of its founder’s passion for Nebraska’s craft beer scene. Zipline Brewing Company opened its doors to the public in November 2012, and since then, it has become famous for its artisan ales, lagers, and other craft brews.
Today, ZBC serves its fresh beers in four different locations, and it’s looking further to expanding and building connections with other beer enthusiasts across other states. Its taproom in Omaha is nestled within its infamous brick building in the city’s downtown area. Its taproom has a clean, simple, and cozy ambiance and has its iconic shipping container where they pour out the fresh brews that highlight its direct and uncomplicated approach to craft brew making.
- Crowd Favorite: Copper Alt. A cross between lager and ale with a distinct bronze hue. A smooth finish with 5.2% ABV and subtle hints of hazelnut and chocolate.
- Highly Recommended: Oatmeal Porter
- Hop-py Note: Accepts takeout orders. Offers vegetarian options. Bike parking. Dog-friendly. Wheelchair accessible. Street parking is available.
Hours: Open Mon–Thur 3pm–9pm, Fri 2pm–10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm–6pm
Address: 721 N 14th St, Omaha, NE 68102
2. Brickway Brewery & Distillery
Brickway Brewery & Distillery is famous for being Omaha’s very first distillery and brewery in one. It is notorious for its smooth-tasting liqueurs and meticulously brewed flavorful craft brews. Some locals know Brickway as the brewery that trades craft beers during “Beer Amnesty Week,” while connoisseurs know them as the fourth largest brewery and distillery in the whole of Nebraska.
Its taproom is located in the historic Old Market neighborhood, which adds to the hip and classically inspired ambiance this brewpub is trying to achieve. While you enjoy the old-school and sophisticated atmosphere, inquire about the brewery tour it offers and have a first-hand experience of what it is like to go behind the scenes.
- Crowd Favorite: Coffee Vanilla Stout. A flagship American-style oatmeal milk stout brewed with 5.2% ABV, packed with over 40 lbs of cold steeped coffee and vanilla with trailing hints of chocolate.
- Highly Recommended: Pils
- Hop-py Note: Street parking. Accepts takeout and delivery orders. Free WiFi. Offers catering services. Handicapped accessible. Dogs are allowed. Bike parking. Offers many vegan choices.
Hours: Open Mon–Wed 1pm–11pm, Thur 1pm-12am, Fri & Sat 11am-12am, Sun 11am–11pm
Address: 1116 Jackson St, Omaha, NE 68102
3. Farnam House Brewing Company
Farnam House Brewing Company is famous for its high affinity to unique brews from Europe’s leading beer-producing nations like Germany, Belgium, and France. This independent brewpub in the Blackstone District of Omaha seeks to break from the ordinary with the plethora of craft beer styles it offers.
Apart from its uniquely delicious brews, Farnam House Brewing features its locally sourced food menu that compliments the eclectic classic interior design. Today, FHBC continues to push beyond the boundaries as they try new brewing techniques, so you’ll be 100% sure that nothing will be the same on your next visit.
- Crowd Favorite: Papio Kriek. A unique American-style wild ale with 5.3% ABV. Poured with clear red color and golden highlights, packed with black pepper and cherry aromas.
- Highly Recommended: Bière de Garde
- Hop-py Note: Bicycle parking. Wheelchair accessible. Good for children. Offers catering services. Accepts takeout and delivery services. Street parking and private lot parking are available.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 4pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 3pm-10pm, Sun 2pm–7pm, Mon Closed
Address: 3558 Farnam St, Omaha, NE 68131
4. Monolithic Brewing
The Monolithic brewery may be one of the small-batch breweries in Omaha, NE, but don’t be fooled by its size, for this pub is known for delivering the best hand-crafted beers you’ll ever taste. It offers plenty of styles and flavors, from light seasonable beers to hard seltzers.
Throughout its founding, MB tries to anchor its operations to one shared vision: to build distinction through the brews they serve. True enough, its taproom on the west side of Omaha has become a go-to neighborhood hang-out place packed with a great relaxing atmosphere with spacious indoor and outdoor seating.
- Crowd Favorite: Feisty Walrus. A classic English-style brown ale poured with prominent flavors of roasted caramel and chocolate. 4.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Meister Hefeweizen
- Hop-py Note: Private lot parking spaces are available. Accepts takeout orders. Outdoor seating.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 3pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm–6pm, Mon & Tue Closed
5. Vis Major Brewing Co.
Vis Major Brewing Company started its operations in 2014 and is famous for its innovative craft beer recipes made possible through a couple’s undying passion for beers and the community that allows it to thrive. It mainly focused on creating brews that push beyond boundaries and put on a style that appeals to both new and seasoned beer enthusiasts.
Its taproom is located south of Omaha and serves a rotating tap of eleven expertly brewed beers. Indeed, it is one of the best neighborhood breweries in Omaha, with its hearty food selection and friendly staff that matches its inviting brew hall that is simple, cozy, and warm.
- Crowd Favorite: If This Be Treason. A New England-style hazy IPA with 6.3% ABV loaded with bright citrus notes, hopped with combinations of Citra and Mosaic.
- Highly Recommended: The Guardian
- Hop-py Note: Accepts reservations. Caters takeout and delivery orders. Offers a variety of vegan options. TV. Bicycle parking. Wheelchair accessible. Free WiFi. Street parking and private lot parking.
Hours: Open Mon & Tue 3pm-9pm, Wed & Thur 3pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 3pm-11pm, Sun 2pm–8pm
Address: 3501 Center St, Omaha, NE 68105
6. Infusion Brewing Co.
Infusion Brewing Company is a key game player in Omaha’s thriving craft beer landscape. Since it began its distribution in 2013, IBC has continued to grow, expanding from the neighborhood in Benson to the southwest part of Omaha.
Its original taproom and brewery are situated in the historic Olson Meat Market, in the heart of the Benson neighborhood. The old building was carefully restored and preserved so that every aspect of the 1917 building remains the same. This added up to the classic atmosphere that IBC has. It operates a classic 7-barrel brewing system allowing it to rotate its menus with seasonal and regular brews. If you want to go beyond its facade, you can also ask about the tours it offers and be immersed in what its brewers are doing behind closed doors.
- Crowd Favorite: Vanilla Bean Blonde Ale. A best-selling blonde ale with 4.8% ABV, packed with notes of bread and vanilla, perfect for easy drinkers with its seamless texture.
- Highly Recommended: Radial IPA
- Hop-py Note: Bicycle parking. Offers a variety of vegan options. Street parking spaces are available.
Hours: Open Tue–Thur 4pm–10pm, Fri 3pm–11pm, Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm–6pm, Mon Closed
Address: 6115 Maple St, Omaha, NE 68104
7. Upstream Brewing Company
Upstream Brewing Company has been a pioneer of Omaha’s local craft beer scene since 1996 and is considered the oldest brewpub in the city that is still in full operation. It is known for its classic American pub grub and award-winning brews that keep customers returning for more.
UBC is located in the heart of the old market district, inside a 90-year-old firehouse building, and has a cozy and rustic vibe to it with brick walls, wooden floors, and industrial ceilings. It also has three pool tables and a lounge area where you can be with some good company. This iconic brewpub can house up to 85 guests and will surely give you the warm Omaha experience.
- Crowd Favorite: Flagship IPA. A top-tier American IPA with bold flavors and 6.2% ABV. Full-bodied, with distinct hop character and a malt base for complexity. Floral-fruity flavor with piney aftertaste.
- Highly Recommended: Firehouse Red Lager
- Hop-py Note: Wheelchair accessible. Bicycle parking. Child-friendly atmosphere. Outside seating. Offers catering services. Accepta takeout and delivery orders. Offers a variety of vegan options. Garage parking and street parking are available. Covered patio
Hours: Open Mon–Thur 11am–11pm, Fri 11am–12pm, Sat 8am-12am, Sun 10am–10pm
Address: 514 S 11th St, Omaha, NE 68102
8. Nebraska Brewing Co.
Nebraska Brewing Company ensures that you will have a world-class experience in every pint of cold craft brew. NBC was founded in 2007, and since then, it has established itself as a vital player in the Midwest beer scene because of its notably unique barrel-aged beers.
Its taproom is a quick 17-minute ride from the heart of Omaha, and the ride is worth it. The Brewery has a broad lineup of beers to choose from, including seasonal brews and its iconic barrel-aged beers. More than just a brewery, NBC is a great place to hang out with friends and families as it hosts game nights every month. It also offers its own kind of brewery tour that will complete your overall experience.
- Crowd Favorite: Cardinal Pale Ale. An American-style pale ale with 6% ABV, poured with golden color, packed with citrus and floral aromatics. Generously hopped with Cascade.
- Highly Recommended: Brunette Nut Brown Ale
- Hop-py Note: Bike parking. Accepts takeout orders. Offers a variety of vegan options. TV. Wheelchair accessible. Free WiFi. Private lot parking.
Hours: Open Tue–Thur 2pm–9pm, Fri 2pm–10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 2pm–8pm, Mon Closed
Address: 6950 S 108th St, La Vista, NE 68128