Camel City in North Carolina is becoming known for its commitment to fresh and original ideas. This undying commitment allows these independently owned breweries in Winston-Salem to emerge and take center stage. With the booming industry of craft breweries in the locale, It is hard to imagine that North Carolina prohibited breweries less than 35 years ago.
This small town is indeed flocked by many for its pubs that serve authentic tasting beers and fares that will genuinely not disappoint. So, join us to help you choose the best as we bring you five top-rated breweries worthy of your time and money.
1. Incendiary Brewing Company
We begin the list with the top-notch brewery leading Winston-Salem’s beer landscape. The Incendiary Brewin Company opened its doors to the public in 2018. Since then, it has become known for its so-called “The Coalpit.” Its outside patio area has become one of the locals’ favorites for being the perfect gathering spot and music haven. Beyond that, it is also a place where local vendors converge and celebrate the abundance of local produce.
IBC combines distinctive industrial architecture with expansive outdoor areas by developing the Bailey Power Plant and making it home for the past years. The renovation gave the area an electrical and industrial vibe that all patrons look forward to when visiting its fortress. When at Incendiary, you wouldn’t want to miss out on its flagship beers it offers like Shift, Shade of Lies, and New England IPA. Apart from that, you’ll also have plenty of other beer selections with its constantly rotating taps packed with exciting flavors.
- Crowd Favorite: SHIfT: BLUE. A New England Style IPA with 8.1% ABV dripping with prominent notes of mango, peach, and melon from double dry-hopping with Mosaic hops. A tropical pillow for your tongue.
- Highly Recommended: SHIfT: ORANGE.
- Hop-py Note: Offers many vegetarian options. Accepts credit cards. Moderate noise. Good for kids. Has garage parking and street parking. Dog-friendly. Bicycle parking.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm–12am, Sun 12pm-10pm
2. Fiddlin’ Fish Brewing Company
Coming in with a close second is the Fiddlin’ Fish Brewing Company. This brewery has won the hearts of both locals and visitors who constantly search for adventure. This sporty brewery found its way into the scene in 2017 because of music and the undying passion for craft beers. The Fish, as it’s locally known, is located at the heart of Winston-Salem and built its stronghold in a renovated tobacco warehouse which features a very playful vibe with hints of eclectic artistic flair.
FFBC marks its territory with some beautifully designed mural paintings and packs its interior with local art creations from the area. It has a 15-barrel brewhouse that allows them to have bountiful selections of seasonals, experimental, and flagship brews for an authentic beer experience in the Camel City of North Carolina. Apart from the best-tasting pints, you’ll also love the top-notch food it serves.
- Crowd Favorite: That Fish Cray. A hazy new-England IPA with 7% ABV and 35 IBU, packed with a delicious citrus, juicy, and hop-forward taste.
- Highly Recommended: Black Mountain Chocolate Stout.
- Hop-py Note: Offers takeout. Has many vegetarian options. Good for kids. Has street parking, private lot parking, and bike parking. Dogs are allowed. Wheelchair accessible. Offers covered outdoor seating.
Hours: Open Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon-Wed 4pm-10pm, Thur Closed
3. Wise Man Brewing
Next in line is the Wise Man Brewing, a hidden gem in the heart of Winston-Salem. This pub is housed within the rustic Angelo Brothers building in the center of downtown. It showcases an energetic atmosphere and fills its place with colorful street art wall paintings made by locally raised artists. WMB takes pride in its innovative beer lineup that suits all preferences – thanks to its brewmaster, who has a Ph.D. in Chemistry.
WMB is packed with a retro vibe and is constantly flocked with local food trucks that offer great food that compliments the inventive beers you can order fresh from the tap. To cap off your brewery escapade, you can also try out its complimentary brewery tours on Sundays and go crazy about the science behind its best-tasting beers.
- Crowd Favorite: Body Electric. A New England-style double IPA with 7.5% ABV hopped with Citra, El Dorado, and Mosaic hops. A pillowy-soft mouthfeel packed with a restrained bitter finish.
- Highly Recommended: Mountain Calling.
- Hop-py Note: Offers takeout. Has many vegetarian options. Accepts credit cards. Good for kids. Has street parking, private lot parking, and bike parking. Dogs are allowed. Wheelchair accessible. Offers covered outdoor seating.
Hours: Open Fri & Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon 1:30pm-10pm, Tue 4pm-10pm, Wed 2pm-11pm, Thur Closed
4. Foothills Brewing Company
Winston Salem’s Foothills Brewing Company is known as the godfather of brewing in the locale, starting its craft beer production in 2005. With the help of its trusty 15-barrel system, It has grown exponentially, allowing it to expand in three locations around town. This has also paved the way for collaborations with other local breweries that helped improve its beer menu.
FBC tasting room is filled with a warm and familiar vibe, with a very relaxed atmosphere. Aside from beers, It is also famous for its best food, fun music, and the awards and accolades it has received through the years. Foothills constantly host fundraising events to give back to the community and donate to local efforts with a cause. The fun never stops in FBC with its weekly events like trivia nights, open mic, and Sunday jazz that will make your stay worthwhile.
- Crowd Favorite: Hoppyum IPA. This American IPA that contains 6.25% ABV has a superior taste, a clean dry finish, and a great aroma. Hopped with Simcoe hops and packed with generous amounts of malt.
- Highly Recommended: Jade IPA.
- Hop-py Note: Offers delivery. Has many vegetarian options. Accepts credit cards. Private lot parking and bike parking. Dogs are allowed. Wheelchair accessible. Heated and covered outdoor seating.
Hours: Open Daily 11am-12am
5. Joymongers Brewing Co.
The last on our list is the Joymongers Brewing Company, a small-batch brewery launched in 2016 that built its beer haven inside a converted garage packed with that relaxed, small-town feel. It is famous for bringing the Winston-Salem community the freshest, most diversified range of beers daily and a go-to spot for casual meetings with its high ceilings, long shared tables, and spacious interior. It is also widely known for being one of the few breweries dedicated to the art of old-fashioned, barrel-aged beers.
JBC is all about big and unique flavors. It has a rotating selection of beers that focus on infused flavors with plenty of fruit profiles. Its contemporary industrial atmosphere perfectly vibes with the great food finds that local food trucks offer every day. At Joymonger, you are sure that every beer served is crisp and fresh, as employees ensure you are given the best brews in town.
- Crowd Favorite: Double IPA. An Imperial IPA with 7.8% ABV, with an assertive profile in aroma and flavor. It has a higher alcohol content than a standard IPA with its malt-forward taste.
- Highly Recommended: Citrus Session IPA.
- Hop-py Note: Provides many vegetarian options. Accepts credit cards and apple pay. Good for kids. Has private lot parking and bike parking. Dogs are allowed. Wheelchair accessible. Offers covered outdoor seating.
Hours: Open Mon-Wed 4pm-10pm, Thur 4pm-12am, Fri 2pm-12am, Sat 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-10pm