Whether on a walk in the Revolutionary City or sightseeing in the Governor’s Palace and George Wythe House, it is impossible not to crave ice-cold and thirst-quenching beers after your tiring tour.
We got your back since you don’t have to spend time searching for the most outstanding breweries in the city as we have carefully picked the ones you’ll surely have a great time with. So sit down and read on as we take you to the best breweries in Williamsburg, Virginia.
1. The Virginia Beer Co.
Whether it’s hazy IPA, barrel-fermented Saison, and craft lagers, VBC brews diverse styles of beers from its two custom-built brewing systems. It has produced a varying series of delectable flagship beers and ever-changing experimental small-batch beers that beer lovers find so hard to resist.
VBC created an equally irresistible place to enjoy its top-notch beers. Its dynamic taproom and breezy beer garden, which has a fire pit to warm you during summer, is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the treats served by the rotating food trucks visiting the brewery.
- Crowd Favorite: Free Verse. A tropical and juicy New England IPA with 6.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Elbow Patches
- Hop-py Note: Kid and dog-friendly. Live music. Sells merchandise.
- Fun Fact: VBC is active in philanthropic activities and has supported many non-profit organizations like House of Mercy and Equality Virginia.
Hours: Open Fri 11am-9:30pm, Sat 12pm-9:30pm, Sun 12pm-9pm, Mon 1:45pm-9pm, Tue & Wed 3pm–9pm, Thur Closed
Address: 401 2nd St, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Contact: (757)378-2903 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Alewerks Brewing Company
Just a few walks from the historic Mooretown Road, Alewerks brews classic recipes of beers and exclusive beers ranging from lager to ale and stout to bourbons. Relish them in bottles, cans, 6 oz pours, or growlers to-go, and pair them with laughter from the brewery’s fun activities.
Alewerks also boasts its weather-ready beer garden that has umbrellas during summer and a heated tent during winter. And what’s a great partner of beer in any season besides classic pub grubs? Don’t worry because pretzels, pizzas, wings, and other yummy treats are served by the visiting food trucks in the brewery.
- Crowd Favorite: Pumpkin Ale. Pumpkin pie-flavored amber ale with 7.3% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Superb IPA
- Hop-py Note: Food trucks. Curbside pick-up. Sells merchandise.
- Fun Fact: Alewerks is a certified Virginia Green business. This is a full certification given to businesses that have implemented sustainable practices.
Hours: Open Fri-Sun 12pm-9pm, Mon-Wed 3pm-9pm, Thur Closed
Address: 189B Ewell Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23188
Contact: (757)220-3670 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Precarious Beer Project
Precarious started brewing in 2007 in the 700-square-foot brewery portion of Amber Ox Public House. Not after a year until the owners, Chris Cook and Andres Voss opened a larger location that made Precarious stand out and won a silver medal for one of its brews and Brewery Group of the Year at the Great American Beer Festival.
Who would not love Precarious’ lively and audacious beer hall, where you can taste a legendary array of stouts, sours, and lagers? It even has a world-class tasting room, a street-style taqueria, multiple outdoor spaces, and, to entertain everyone, an arcade with vintage games.
- Crowd Favorite: Kung Fu Kittens. Hazy New England IPA with 6.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Everything Is Lava, But the Swings Are Base
- Hop-py Note: Live music. Sells merchandise. Trivia nights.
- Fun Fact: Precarious offers a Draught Animal membership, where members can get discounts and early access to exclusive beers.
Hours: Open Fri & Sat 11am-11pm, Sun & Mon 11am-9pm, Tue & Wed 11am-10pm, Thur Closed
Address: 110 S Henry St, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Contact: (757)808-5104 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Billsburg Brewery
Located in a 10-acre marina, Billsburg gives the best water views, making it a commendable place for your next drinking session. You can stay in the brewery’s multiple outside spaces, such as the sunny beer garden, breezy deck, and extensive pavilion, all out looking for sparkling water views.
Savor your IPA, hefeweizen, lager, and red ale famous in the brewery, and pair them up with the gourmet grilled cheese sandwich and pretzel bites cooked by the food trucks outside Billsburg. Slushies and cocktails are already available for you to enjoy, and you may want to play cornhole while boozing and munching.
- Crowd Favorite: Fly Away. Citrus-flavored and moderately bitter American IPA with 6.6% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Tourist Trap
- Hop-py Note: Live music. Dog-friendly. Trivia nights.
- Fun Fact: Billsburg won the gold award under the Best Brewery at the Williamsburg Best of 2022.
Hours: Open Fri & Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 11am-10pm, Mon-Wed 12pm-10pm, Thur Closed
Address: 2054 Jamestown Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Contact: (757)926-0981 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Strangeways Brewing
If you are searching for unique and extraordinary beers, check out Strangeways since it explores peculiar brews. It has 5 year-round core beers, 25 seasonals, and 14 small batches, all brewed in the brewery’s strange ways and served in four locations in Virginia, including Williamsburg.
Strangeway’s Williamsburg is located in a 4,000+ square-foot space, featuring a 350-seat tasting room and two options for outdoor space, including a patio in front and a spacious brick courtyard in the back. Besides beer, the location also serves a diverse lineup of thirst-quenching ciders, sparkling seltzers, wines, and non-alcoholic offerings.
- Crowd Favorite: Albino MONKey White Ale. Belgian-style wheat beer with 5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Woodbooger Belgian-style Brown Ale
- Hop-py Note: Family and dog-friendly. Bingo nights. Live music. Crowlers and growlers available. Sells merchandise.
Hours: Open Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon-Wed 2pm-9pm, Thur Closed
Address: 1430 High St Suite 1103, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Contact: (757)808-5824 | Facebook | Instagram | Website