Experience outdoor adventure and sample the best craft beer in the largest city of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula!
Marquette is home to several award-winning breweries, beer bars, and brewpubs, and whether you’re looking for an outdoor adventure or a new craft beer in a gorgeous setting, Marquette offers the best of both worlds. Explore 5 of our favorite spots and make your visit a remarkable one!
1. Blackrocks Brewery
A certified local gathering spot for family and friends to relax, Blackrocks Brewery is known for its dog-friendly outdoor patio that stretches from the front to the back of the brewery during summer and insulated snow globes in winter.
This brewery offers a homey and welcoming atmosphere with cozy indoor seating and spacious decks in the converted two-story yellow Victorian-style house. They also offer a wide selection of beers from year-round to seasonal beers, lager series, and barrel-aged. And with an expansion for larger brewing space, Blackrocks became one of the largest breweries in Michigan.
- Crowd Favorite: 51K, IPA, 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Grand Rabbits, Cream Ale, 5.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Food trucks are available throughout the week.
- Fun Fact: The brewery’s name refers to the iconic black rocks in Presque Isle Park.
Hours: Open Tue-Sun 12pm–11pm, Mon 4pm–11pm
Address: 424 N 3rd St, Marquette, MI 49855
Contact: 906-273-1333 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Ore Dock Brewing Company
If you’re looking for a place to loosen up and enjoy your weekend, visit Ore Dock Brewing Company! This brewery features a two-story cabin-style classic taproom with plenty of space for drinking and games. The lower area offers a warehouse vibe, making it ideal for events and gatherings, while the upper part has a bar and private rooms to play foosball and enjoy ample seating.
More than their best-tasting craft brew, this brewery entertains such as music nights and comedy shows throughout the week! Specializing in ales, porters, sours, and IPAs, this brewery has a little bit of everything for everyone to enjoy!
- Crowd Favorite: Reclamation, IPA, 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Porter, 5.7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Ore Dock Brewing doesn’t serve food, but you can bring your own.
- Fun Fact: Ore Dock Brewing Company is housed in a 150-year-old building, the former Frei Chevrolet garage and storeroom.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 12pm–11pm, Fri & Sat 12pm–12am
Address: 114 W Spring St, Marquette, MI 49855
Contact: 906-228-8888 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Drifa Brewing Company
Enjoy a pint of uniquely brewed beer with a scenic view of Lake Superior at Drifa Brewing! Drifa Brewing is a cooperative-owned brewery with an industrial-style taproom with plenty of indoor seating, insulated igloos during winter, and a dog-friendly beer garden. Located in Lake Superior Shoreline, this brewery offers tasty, creative beers varying from lagers to cream ales.
Not a beer lover? Don’t worry; they also offer a wide selection of wines and cider. Aside from the nice view, this brewery is a local gathering hotspot for trivia, open mic, and live music every weekend.
- Crowd Favorite: Green Ladder, IPA, 6.8% ABV. A refreshing American IPA with bursting tropical fruit flavors.
- Highly Recommended: Lower Harbor, Lager, 5.1% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Drifa offers free wi-fi, and a reservation is highly recommended.
- Fun Fact: Drifa Brewing Company also hosts Drifa IPA Brewing Competition
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 12pm–10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm–11pm, Sun 12pm-9pm
Address: 501 S Lake St, Marquette, MI 49855
Contact: 906-273-1300 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Barrel + Beam Farmhouse Ales
With two awards under its belt—one for Best New Brewer by RateBeer in 2019 and one for Best Wedding Venue by Traverse Magazine in 2020—Barrel & Beam is Marquette’s hidden gem. Tucked away in Northwoods Road, this brewery offers tasty farmhouse and barrel-aged ales, making it another beer lover’s favorite.
Barrel & Beam features a barn and cabin aesthetics taproom with plenty of indoor seating and an expansive outdoor patio. With its in-house Northwoods Test Kitchen, they serve mouth-watering deli items and pop-ups along with its craft beers, ciders, and wines.
- Crowd Favorite: Blanc Du Nord, Wheat Beer, 5% ABV. Crisp and clean wheat beer with citrus flavor.
- Highly Recommended: Saison Terre A Terre, Farmhouse Ale, 6.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Barrel & Beam offers brewery tours by request. They also provide Free wi-fi.
Hours: Open Wed-Sun 12pm–10pm, Mon & Tue Closed
Address: 260 Northwoods Rd, Marquette, MI 49855
Contact: 906-273-2559 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. The Vierling Restaurant and Marquette Harbor Brewery
Located in the heart of downtown Marquette, Vierling is one of the oldest and locally acclaimed restaurants in Marquette, which started its brewing journey in 1995. This brewery features an old historic building with plenty of indoor seating, fine artwork, stained glass, and an antique oak bar—an addition to the city’s ever-growing list of local breweries.
Vierling specializes in producing ales and lagers and offers ten small batches of beers on taps. Known for its Superior Whitefish recipes, homemade soups, and other delicious foods, no wonder Vierling is one of the local’s to-go brewpubs.
- Crowd Favorite: Blueberry Wheat, 5.3% ABV. A refreshing fruit beer flavored and garnished with blueberries.
- Highly Recommended: Honey Wheat, 5.3% ABV.
- Fun Fact: Offering a 5-BBL brewing system in 1995, The Vierling Restaurant and Marquette Harbor Brewery became the first brewpub in Michigan.
Hours: Open Mon-Sat 11am–9pm, Sun Closed
Address: 119 S Front St, Marquette, MI 49855
Contact: 906-228-3533 | Facebook | Instagram