Quince your thirst in the historic city of Des Moines! This watering hole of Iowa offers not just nature adventure, diverse culture, and vibrant neighborhood; it is also home to 20 craft breweries that offer community space and a unique craft beer experience.
A new wave of craft breweries has transformed Des Moines into a diverse and exciting city for beer-lovers. Offering trendy and creative taprooms and eclectic beer styles have made Des Moines a great place to head for a casual drink and made the city’s nightlife scene more interesting. Keep reading for the 11 best places to taste craft beer in Des Moines, Iowa.
1. Exile Brewing
Are you looking for an outdoor party with live music? Exile Brewing is the best place to visit! Known for its annual Music Festival, this brewery offers not just tasty cold beer but eclectic music from different local artists. Featuring a warehouse building with concrete, warm woods, and sleek metal materials interior design, this brewery offers a rustic and friendly vibe perfect for those friends’ night out. This brewery also includes a restaurant and an outdoor patio, providing a place for private events. The glimmering design of their life-size replica of the Statue of Liberty’s copper crown on the rooftop makes Exile Brewing so eye-catching and hard to miss.
- Crowd Favorite: Ruthie Lager, 4.9% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Beatnik Sour, 5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Exile Brewery is offering brewery tours.
- Fun Fact: With its mission to help the community, Exile Brewing initiated events such as Adopt a highway, Casting for Recovery, and Trees forever.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 11am-10pm, Fri 11am-11pm, Sat 10am-11pm, Sun 10am-9pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 1514 Walnut St, Des Moines, IA 50309
2. Flix Brewhouse
Enjoy a tasty craft beer and your favorite movies in one place! Featuring an industrial and modern building that includes a movie theater, a brewery with over 21 beers on tap, and a full-course restaurant, Flix Brewhouse sets the bar high! This brewery offers a space where guests can watch the newest movies and sit on elegant leather seats with food and craft beers served with just a button. If you just want to eat and drink, don’t worry because they also have a bar with ample seating. So, bring your crew, reserve your seats, and don’t forget to Flix!
- Crowd Favorite: Lupulus IPA, 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Nebulas New England IPA, 6.3% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Movie tickets are available online.
- Fun Fact: Flix Brewhouse is the only fully functioning microbrewery in the world with a movie theater.
Hours: Open Mon-Fri 10am-11pm, Sat & Sun 9am-2am.
3. Barn Town Brewing
Are you looking for a unique place for a family or group date? Featuring a warehouse-style taproom with retro decors and a laid-back neighborhood vibe, a protruding half-a-truck on the beer tapper, and its famous private outdoor igloos, Barn Town Brewing offers a unique craft beer experience.
Located at the West Des Moines border, this brewery serves artisanal ales and flavorful craft beers paired with their elevated American-style pub fare. Bring your whole crew, spend your dinner in one of their igloos, taste their best beer with an exclusive igloo menu, or relax and enjoy their spacious, cozy taproom.
- Crowd Favorite: Neon Hazy IPA, 6.5% ABV. A ho- forward hazy IPA and also the top-selling beer in Barn Town Brewing with a Citra and mosaic hops.
- Highly Recommended: Groovy Ruby IPA, 5.6% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Barn Town Brewing is a No Smoking establishment (including vapes). Pets are allowed but not inside the igloo. Kids can play outside the igloo farm, but there are nearby jungle gyms and city parks for them to enjoy.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 11am-10pm, Fri & Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 10am-10pm.
4. Lua Brewing
With a large community dining table, Lua Brewing offers a gathering place for the historic High Street neighborhood. Featuring a classic and retro-style taproom with 30 flowing beers on tap, this brewery is a perfect summertime destination for beer lovers. Lua Brewing also offers elevated pub grub and mouth-watering vegan foods. Upon entering, you will be greeted by a cozy and welcoming porch with string lights and the vibrant hand-painted mural behind the bar. They also have a spacious and shady dog-friendly garden patio. Go and have fun enjoying the industrial-chic atmosphere of this brewery.
- Crowd Favorite: Call It Dreaming, Wheat Beer, 5.3% ABV. A Hefeweizen beer with house-toasted coconut flavor.
- Highly Recommended: Tiny Beam of Light, American Pale Ale, 5.7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: They don’t have deliveries; they are a dog-friendly place.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 11am-10pm, Fri & Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 11am-9pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 1525 High St, Des Moines, IA 50309
5. Big Grove Brewery
Housed in the Crescent Chevrolet building, Big Grove Brewery is a 12,000-square-foot classic industrial-style tasting room, serving 14 beers on taps, from light and refreshing beers to hop-forward brews. This new microbrewery becomes another neighborhood hangout space, featuring a modern, cozy covered, open outdoor patio with a fantastic view of the downtown Des Moines skyline. Aside from its award-winning brews and delightful foods crafted to pair with its beers, this brewery also offers entertainment and events such as Drag nights and game watch parties. Check out their website for exciting possibilities for your next visit.
- Crowd Favorite: Easy Eddy IPA, 6% ABV. A New England hazy IPA with tropical flavors of pineapple and mango became one of Iowa’s most popular brewed beers.
- Highly Recommended: Arms Race Pale Ale, 6% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: The Big Grove is a kid and dog-friendly brewery.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 3pm-11pm, Fri 3pm-11:45pm, Sat 11am-11:45pm, Sun 11am-5pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 555 17th St, Des Moines, IA 50309
6. Court Avenue Restaurant and Brewing Co.
Fancy a cold beer while appreciating the history of Des Moines? Visit Court Avenue Restaurant and Brewing, located at the heart of Court Avenue. This brewery is housed in the old and historic Saddlery Building, which features a classic pre-prohibition era taproom with multiple indoor seating and a full-service bar. They offer a comfortable leather couch to enjoy your pint of beer while viewing the gallery of antique bottles, posters, pictures, and signs of the long-gone Iowa breweries. Aside from 9 core and seasonal beers on tap, they also serve delicious American cuisine and cocktails. If you’re looking for a private space for your next event, they offer four private rooms which can accommodate up to 90 persons.
- Crowd Favorite: Honest Lawyer IPA, 6% ABV. An American IPA with pine, citrus, and hoppy flavor with a hint of grapefruits.
- Highly Recommended: Pointer Brown Ale, 5.7% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Court Avenue Restaurant and Brewing Co. accept table reservations. Also, offer on-site and street parking.
- Fun Fact: Court Avenue Restaurant and Brewing is the oldest and original brewery in Des Moines.
Hours: Open Mon-Fri 11am-10pm, Sat 10am-11pm, Sun 10am-10pm.
Address: 309 Court Ave, Des Moines, IA 50309
7. Confluence Brewing Company
Located at Thomas Beck Road, Confluence Brewing is a microbrewery that offers approachable hand-crafted beers made from local and natural ingredients. This brewery features a warehouse-style tasting room with spacious indoor and outdoor seating. The newly constructed beer garden is a favorite hotspot for bikers as it is accessible to Great Western Bike Trail and offers a big bicycle parking lot. Confluence Brewing will satisfy your thirst with 36 beers on tap, pouring their core, seasonal and experimental brews.
- Crowd Favorite: Des Moines IPA, 6.9% ABV. A medium-bodied American IPA with citrus and pine hops flavor.
- Highly Recommended: South Side Citra Blonde, 5.2% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Confluence brewing doesn’t serve food, but food trucks are always available at the beer garden.
- Fun Fact: They have live music every Thursday and Friday night.
Hours: Open Mon-Wed 4pm-10pm, Thur 12pm-10pm, Fri 12pm-11pm, Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 11am-8pm.
8. Peace Tree Brewery
Peace Tree Brewery is another neighborhood name in Iowa’s craft beer scene, with four tasting rooms across Iowa. Located at the heart of Court Ave, East Village neighborhood, this brewery has produced hand-crafted and flavorful beers since 2009. It features a 4,000 sq ft Quonset hut taproom with 25 rotating beers on tap, plenty of indoor seating to accommodate up to 125 guests, a dog-friendly outdoor patio best for fun gatherings, and a private room. If beers are not your favorite, they also have guest ciders, colas, cocktails, and non-alcoholic drinks. Peace Tree Brewery hosts live music, trivia night, comedy shows, and other exciting events!
- Crowd Favorite: Blonde Fatale, Belgian Blonde, 8.5% ABV. The crisp and refreshing Belgian-style blonde ale.
- Highly Recommended: No Coast American IPA, 7.5% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Peace Tree imposed BYOF or Bring Your Food. They only offer Iowa popcorn, cheese, and meat.
- Fun Fact: Peace Tree Brewery is Iowa’s first 100% woman-owned brewery.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 2pm-10pm, Fri 12pm-11pm, Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 11am-9pm.
9. Twisted Vine Brewery
All you need is a unique twisted mind to find your favorite craft brew in Twisted Vine Brewery! Located in the historic East Village Market District, this brewery is an excellent addition to the burgeoning breweries in West Des Moines. Housed in an old brick building, Twisted Vine Brewery features a classic and cozy spacious taproom with a full bar serving 25 beers on tap and a full-service restaurant. They also have an open and refreshing outdoor patio with lots of seating. You can enjoy the different styles of the tasty brews from their flights while playing board games and appreciating the Des Moines skyline.
- Crowd Favorite: Westown IPA, 6.8% ABV. A refreshing and hop-forward IPA with mild bitterness.
- Highly Recommended: Black Knight IPA, 6.9% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: No delivery available.
- Fun Fact: Twisted Vine Brewery’s building is a 150-year-old brick building, a former Central Oil Works, and is now part of the historical places in Des Moines.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 3pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 11am-8pm.
Address: 112 SE 4th St, Des Moines, IA 50309
10. Fox Brewing
If you’re looking for a relaxing place to hang out and have fun with friends, visit the Fox Brewing den! This brewery includes a taproom, bar, and Mezzanine, which are also available for private events. Their pub offers eight seasonal beers on tap, a lounge space with a welcoming vibe, and a great place to relax and have a good conversation with friends. It also features a Mezzanine where you can play different games and entertainment like board games, a foosball table, and a flat-screen TV to watch their Legally Compliant movie series. Grab your friends, have fun, and for Fox’s sake, get another drink!
- Crowd Favorite: Fox Tail Red Ale, 5.8% ABV. A medium-bodied Red Ale with caramel flavor and notes of roasted barley.
- Highly Recommended: Fox Blonde, Belgian Blonde, 6.3% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: No delivery available on Fox brewing
- Fun Fact: Fox Brewing has a “Wall of Crafts” displayed in their taproom, showcasing all their crafted beers.
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 4pm-11pm, Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-7pm, Mon & Tue Closed.
11. 1717 Brewing Company
A family-owned microbrewery on Court Avenue offers a homey and welcoming neighborhood vibe. “The House” features a warehouse-style taproom serving 23 craft beers on tap, huge glass windows, plenty of indoor seating, and garage-style doors, which give the space an airy and bright atmosphere. The area replicates the founder’s home as it has a kitchen-style bar and dining tables. This brewery also has porch tables and a dog-friendly patio. Though they don’t have a kitchen, food trucks are available on schedule, and you are welcome to bring your food.
- Crowd Favorite: Black IPA, 6.9% ABV. A black hoppy IPA with a bitter finish.
- Highly Recommended: Hazy IPA, 6% ABV.
- Fun Fact: 1717 Brewing Company’s name refers to the house number of their old family home as a dedication to their parents.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 3pm-9pm, Fri 3pm-11pm, Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 12pm-6pm, Mon Closed.