It’s not just about wine anymore! With Fredericksburg’s rich German history, it’s no surprise that when the craft beer craze hit Texas, this Hill County was one of the first places to embrace it. Now home to several award-winning breweries, brewpubs, and beer bars, Fredericksburg is an ideal destination for those who love beer and a great spot for those who are just learning to appreciate it. Wine and beer enthusiasts alike will find plenty to love in this charming community.
So, if you’re wondering what to do during your Fredericksburg tour, here are the three craft breweries you should hit up on your next visit!
1. Altstadt Brewery
Altstadt Brewery is a German-style brewery with an excellent 120-acre production facility, old-world European architecture, and authentic German-style craft beers served up in a laid-back atmosphere. They feature a castle-like massive structure that offers an elegant and welcoming grand hall, taproom, rathskeller, restaurant, and expansive outdoor patio. You can enjoy a cold-crafted beer with live music and a fantastic sunset view of their Biergarten.
This brewery is famous for its world-class tasty beer and international-inspired savory foods topping the list as the front runner of Fredericksburg craft breweries. So, next time you pass by Fredericksburg, have a pint or more and cheer!
- Crowd Favorite: Kölsch, 4.8% ABV. A crisp and refreshing drink with just a right hop bite.
- Highly Recommended: Lagger, 4.8% ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Visit the place every Thursday night to avail their 50% discount on any beer or wine you order. They offer brewery tours limited to 20 guests only with a first come, first served policy on Thursdays and Fridays. This brewery only allowed Service dogs.
- Fun Fact: Altstadt’s name refers to the historic town of Fredericksburg as Altstadt is a German term for “old town.”
Hours: Open Wed & Thur 12pm–8pm, Fri & Sat 12pm–9pm, Sun 11am–4pm, Mon & Tue Closed.
Address: 6120 East, US-290, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
Contact: (830) 304-2337 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Fredericksburg Brewery
This brewery has been a staple of downtown Fredericksburg for decades and is the first Texas Hill country brewery. They are open for guests for a week, during which time they offer six unique beers on tap, award-winning freshly made ales, and German-style lagers brewed on-site. This brewery features its brewing equipment in full view and has a warm, welcoming, laid-back vibe—from its wooden interiors to its furniture.
In addition to its indoor and outdoor seating, they also offer plenty of rooms, which include Bed and Brew, with 12 available rooms onsite. This room offers everything an adult guest could have asked for. And if you plan to celebrate privately, they have the Biergarten to offer!
- Crowd Favorite: Enchanted Rock Red Ale, 5.3% ABV. A smooth and refreshing full-bodiedAmerican Red Ale which is good for a hot Texas weather.
- Highly Recommended: Pioneer Porter,5.3 % ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Child-Friendly. Lots of Vegetarian Options.
- Fun Fact: It is the oldest running brewpub and has been receiving awards across the US and even in international competitions.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 11am–8pm, Fri & Sat 11am–9pm.
Address: 245 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
Contact: (830) 997-1646 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. Ogle Brewery / Arch Ray Winery
Your Texas Hill County tour will not be complete without dropping by the newly opened brewery in Fredericksburg and part of the famous Arch Ray Resort. Ogle Brewery is the newest attraction for all beer enthusiasts. This brewery features a spacious industrial taproom with a long bar and plenty of indoor and outdoor seating.
This brewery offers six tasty beers on tap ranging from light and approachable Cream Ale and Mexican Lager to the darker style of American IPA, Red Ale, and Stout. Indeed, it is the perfect place for everyone who plans to hang out, do outdoor activities, and have a good time.
- Crowd Favorite: Broken Tress Black Lager, 5.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Spurel Field Special,5.6 % ABV.
- Hop-py Note: Pet-friendly
- Fun Fact: The brewery was established to promote the Ogle Family side, which helped them settle in the most challenging parts of Texas.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 10pm–6pm, Fri & Sat 10pm–7pm, Sun 11am-6pm.
Address: 312 Schmidtzinsky Rd, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
Contact: (830) 304-2900 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
Fredericksburg Winery and Brewery Tours
Make the most of your visit to historic Fredericksburg, Virginia, by exploring its breweries, distilleries, and wineries. This list of public and private tours will help you plan an exciting itinerary.