Although Virginia Beach is a little late in the craft beer scene, as the city established its first microbrewery in the late 20th century, it is never behind in terms of great beer.
Virginia Beach is currently filled with several amazing breweries, from classic American brews to German-style ales. Here are 10 of the best breweries you can find in the city, and make sure to check them out!
1. Back Bay Brewing Company
Back Bay has consistently ranked as one of the city’s top breweries thanks to its premium craft beer and excellent customer service. It has two active locations in Virginia Beach, the Back Bay’s Oceanfront and Farmhouse. The Oceanfront is its main location providing the locals with a tasting room with about 13 beers and ciders on tap that is ever-changing.
And as for Back Bay’s Farmhouse, it has been widely recognized as the best craft brewery and cidery in Kempsville. The Farmhouse takes great pleasure in being an intersection of the city’s farm and beach lover communities. Moreover, to keep things unique, the Farmhouse at Back Bay Brewing Co. welcomes a new food truck daily, allowing you to sample the wide variety of Virginia Beach’s cuisine.
- Crowd Favorite: Orange Crush IPA. A tropical and hoppy hazy IPA with 6.1% BV.
- Highly Recommended: False Cape Ale
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Kid-friendly. Cans to-go are available.
- Fun Fact: Back Bay has a beautiful private room called The Blind that you can book for any event, like a wedding, corporate gatherings, and bridal showers.
Hours: Open Mon – Thur 3pm – 9pm, Fri & Sat 11am – 10pm, Sun 11am – 8pm.
Address: 1805 Kempsville Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23464
Contact: (757) 904-3183 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
2. Commonwealth Brewing Company
Commonwealth Brewing is run by a couple with a keen sense of style, and they don’t skimp on their beer’s quality or the experience its customers have. The structure is a repurposed fire and rescue station from the 1960s, making it an ideal venue for huge events. On the weekend, Commonwealth may get quite packed, so it’s best to arrive early if you want a seat.
Commonwealth Brewing also has an in-house pizza bar so that patrons may enjoy delicious wood-fired Neapolitan pizza with their quality beer. Additionally, suppose pizza is not much of a favorite for you. In that case, the brewery also has food trucks outside that regularly rotate so you can have different dishes every time you visit.
- Crowd Favorite: Big Papi. A super juicy Double New England with 8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Wapatoolie
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Many vegetarian food options. Outdoor beer garden.
- Fun Fact: Commonwealth Brewing features its private event room, “The Corduroy,” equipped with comfortable couches and fun games.
Hours: Open Sun 12pm–9pm, Mon-Thur 3pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-12am
Address: 2444 Pleasure House Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23455
Contact: (757) 305-9652 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
3. New Realm Brewing Company
New Realm team operates in Virginia Beach, South Carolina, and Georgia and boasts a large and professional workforce that produces beers with distinct flavor profiles. New Realm offers a wide variety of drinks and dishes made using ingredients from the local neighborhood.
A spacious covered outdoor beer garden, comfortable seating, and fire pits are available at its Virginia Beach location, making it ideal for hosting big gatherings anytime. Moreover, its food menu is excellent and includes tons of items, and New Realm is serious about transporting its consumers to a “new realm” of leisure through its brews and dishes. You can also find an exceptional Wagyu burger to pair with its crisp pilsners and hoppy IPAs.
- Crowd Favorite: Hazy Like a Fox. A juicy Double dry-hopped hazy IPA with 6.5% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Hoptropolis
- Hop-py note: Live music. Movie nights. Offers takeout and delivery. Dog-friendly.
- Fun Fact: New Realm has a Loyalty Program where you can register by installing its app, and you can get coupons and win excellent prizes once you are a member.
Hours: Open Sun 12pm–9pm, Mon-Thur 3pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm
Address: 1209 Craft Ln, Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Contact: (757) 302-8550 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
4. Wasserhund Brewing Company
You will experience a great vibe at Wasserhund Brewing, a friendly local brewery in Virginia Beach. Wasserhund specializes in crafting German-style beers as the owners, Aaron and Christine, have a stronger passion for German brews than standard beers.
Wasserhund Brewing’s tasting room features 17 craft brews on tap and 16 beers in cans for to-go orders. It also serves a fantastic food menu with an array of German-inspired fare that goes perfectly well with beers. Moreover, Wasserhund is proud of its artisan pizza cooked in a tremendous brick oven. We almost forgot that gluten-free crust is available for all its pizzas.
- Crowd Favorite: German Shepheweizen. A well-balanced and aromatic wheat beer with 5.9% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Doggy Paddle
- Hop-py note: Indoor and outdoor seating. Dog-friendly. Offers takeout.
- Fun Fact: Wasserhund means waterdog in German.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 12pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-12am
Address: 1805 Laskin Rd STE 102, Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Contact: (757) 351-1326 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
5. Smartmouth Brewing Company
Smartmouth Brewing, like many of Virginia Beach’s other pioneering microbreweries, has established a reputation for producing beer of exceptional quality and flavor. Hardy, a native of Norfolk, founded Smartmouth, a brewery that takes a fresh, original approach to beer. You may count on a consistently high-quality flavor from their full range of beers throughout the year; they’ll please even the pickiest beer drinkers.
Moreover, in addition to its crafts’ quality and seasonal brews, Smartmouth also serves a wide selection of bakehouse pizzas. You can order its signature pizza or build your toppings; it can be either a carnivore or vegetarian pizza.
- Crowd Favorite: Alter Ego. A refreshing and juicy Saison with 6.2% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Notch 9
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Gift cards. Offers takeout. Sells merchandise.
Hours: Open Tues – Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 3pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-8pm, Mon Closed.
Address: 313 32nd St, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Contact: (757) 624-3939 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
6. Reaver Beach Brewing Company
At Reaver Beach, creativity and beer come together in perfect harmony. Every season brings new customers to Reaver Beach Brewing from all across the state in search of a brewery with award-winning beers and rich history. It’s recommended that you head to Reaver Beach when you’re in the mood for a wild sour beer or its legendary Hoptopus Double IPA.
Reaver Beach has two locations, one is in Norfolk, and the other is in Virginia Beach, which has a taproom that features a quirky pirate motif and a vast selection of ales and sours. Additionally, it sells growlers, kegs, and cans if you wish to take some of its magic elixirs back to your place.
- Crowd Favorite: Hoptopus. A heavy dry-hopped double IPA with 8.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Hammerhead IPA
- Hop-py note: Monthly events. Offers takeout. Bike parking.
- Fun Fact: Reaver Beach is among the oldest running craft brewery in Virginia Beach.
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 3pm-9pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-9pm, Sun 12pm-7pm, Mon Closed
Address: 1505 Taylor Farm Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23453
Contact: (757) 563-2337 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
7. Young Veterans Brewing Co.
You can find Young Veterans in the heart of Virginia Beach; it is a brewery founded by two military retirees with a shared passion for brewing unique and delicious beers. They have worked together to create exceptional creations, and people seem to enjoy their premium ales.
The taproom serves about 13 signature beers and seasonal brews on draft with military-themed names. Its brews include intense lagers, smooth porters, hoppy IPAs, and refreshing stouts.
- Crowd Favorite: Night Vision. A dry and light-bodied American stout with 6.1% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Goat Locker Breakfast Stout
- Hop-py note: Street and bike parking. Cans to-go are available in packs.
- Fun Fact: You can book the whole tasting room of Young Veterans Brewing for any private event you have in plan.
Hours: Open Wed-Fri 3pm-8pm, Sat 1pm-7pm, Sun 1pm-6pm, Mon & Tue Closed
Address: 2505 Horse Pasture Rd #104, Virginia Beach, VA 23453
Contact: (757) 689-4021 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
8. Pleasure House Brewing
The atmosphere at Pleasure House Brewing is slightly different from what you’d expect from a seaside establishment. They are always serious and creative with their brews. Pleasure House is primarily a small-batch brewery, and as a result, they always have something new pouring from their taps, brewed with immense focus and attention.
Pleasure House Brewing’s taproom is open daily, serving a selection of premium and award-winning brews they have perfectly crafted since 2014. Moreover, great food trucks are available outside that regularly rotate, so you can get good food while drinking great beers at this brewpub.
- Crowd Favorite: Shark Tears. A refreshing and juicy kettle-soured beer with 4.8% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: O’Brien Clan
- Hop-py note: Trivia nights. Dog-friendly. Monthly events. Free Wi-fi.
- Fun Fact: Pleasure House was initially established on Shore Drive, but after some years, it moved to an old U.S. post office on Pleasure House road.
Hours: Open Sun-Thur 2pm-10pm, Fri & Sat 12pm-11pm
Address: 2032 Pleasure House Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23455
Contact: (757) 496-0916 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
9. Vibrant Shore Brewing Co.
Nestled in the ViBe Creative District, Vibrant Shore is a fun brewery where artists and beer enthusiasts meet. You can find a variety of brews that everyone can enjoy, whether you are new to the beer scene or a seasoned beer lover. Its taproom features a rotating list of its premium brews and boasts an event space where you can celebrate any event you have. Moreover, the brewery has a hidden rooftop beer garden with a fantastic view, perfect for a day of relaxation.
- Crowd Favorite: The Future (It’s Hazy). A juicy, hazy IPA with 7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Spectral Signature
- Hop-py note: Dog-friendly. Indoor and outdoor seating. Offers flights.
- Fun Fact: Vibrant Shore Brewing is owned by Rhett Rebold, an essential person in the growing beer scene of Virginia Beach, and won the title of Homebrewer of the Year for North America
Hours: Open Tue-Thur 4pm-10pm, Fri 3pm-11pm, Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 1pm-9:30pm, Mon Closed
Address: 505 18th St, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Contact: (757) 428-2949 | Facebook | Instagram | Website
10. Thin Brew Line
Do you wish you could drink beer with a good purpose? Thin Brew Line brewery gives back to the community by donating a portion of its profits to help the city’s frontline workers and first responders. Thus, know that while you drink great beer at this microbrewery, you are also doing something good to the people who secure the community’s safety.
Thin Brew Line was founded by police officers and their families, selling a rotating selection of high-quality crafts with creative names. Its place features a party room accommodating about 50 guests and multiple TVs to keep you entertained. Plus, you can take your furry friend along for outdoor fun outside Thin Brew Line’s beer garden, which features a dog space.
- Crowd Favorite: Badge Hunny. A well-balanced hoppy and malty blonde ale with 5.7% ABV.
- Highly Recommended: Station 12 Fire Engine Red
- Hop-py note: Heated outdoor patio. Fun dog park. Dog-friendly.
- Fun Fact: Most Thin Brew Line beers are named after an organization or honor a good line of duty.
Hours: Open Mon-Thur 3pm-9pm, Fri 3pm-10pm, Sat 12pm-10pm, Sun 12pm-6pm
Address: 1375 Oceana Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Contact: (757) 937-8613 | Facebook | Instagram | Website